Re: [The Justice Society] what comics are you reading?

  • Kristofer Theilen
    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 1, 2009
      the "Bucky" Captain America has been really good
      Fables
      Final Crisis Legion of 3 worlds
      War that Time Forgot

      starting to get into the James Robinson Superman stuff

      Message 2 of 22 , Mar 1, 2009
        Fellow elect

        Suicide Squad? Are there new issues?
        Suicide Squad is my favorite comic.

        Yours
        Aaron

        --- In thejusticesociety@yahoogroups.com, c_midnite <c_midnite@...>
        wrote:

        > Hello everyone.
        >
        > Long time no type.
        >
        > I have finally caught up on my JSA (throught the FOE Black Adam
        cover anyway).  While I didn't agree with everything that has gone
        on over the past couple of years, I am saddened that it was all for
        nothing.  I would guess that we won't see Markus Clay, Heywood, etc.
        anytime soon.

        > Which brings up my question.  What other books would you
        recommend.  I grew up loving earth-two stuff.  My prized possession
        is a beat-up copy of the DC Special "Origins of the Justice Society"
        with the pin-up in the back.  Found that in an antique store right
        around the time that All Star Squadron was starting.  The rest is
        history.

        > Besides the JSA, I like the Suicide Squad/Checkmate stuff as well.
        >
        > These days, I get my comics mail order and don't have time to
        follow all the latest news online, so I just get what I get month
        after month.

        > Here is a sample of what I have been reading over the past few
        years:

        > Alter Ego
        > High Adventure
        > AC Comics Men of Mystery/Golden Age Greats
        > Agents of Atlas
        > Birds of Prey
        > Blue Beetle
        > Checkmate
        > Countdown
        > Green Arrow/Green Arrow-Black Canary
        > Invaders
        > Justice Society of America/JSA
        > JSA Classified
        > Lone Ranger
        > Manhunter
        > Phantom
        > Shadowpact
        > Suicide Squad
        > SuperPowers
        > Three Musketeers
        > Uncle Sam and Freedom FIghters
        > Zorro
        >
        > As you can see, DC and Marvel seem to have cancelled most of my
        books.

        > Aside from golden age reprints, legacy heroes, pre-golden age
        heroes (Lone Ranger, Zorro, 3 musketeers), I was only realy into
        Suicide Squad/Checkmate, BoP and Green Arrow (and arguably, Black
        Canary is the JSA tie-in there).  Any suggestions on replacements?
        Anything worth reading along those lines?  Any scope on the latest
        DC version of the MLJ heroes?  What's the deal with the new
        multiverse (I didn't read the newest crisis or any of its endless
        tie-ins/follow-ups)?

        > I saw in the lastest order list from Mile High that there is a
        second Phantom series (Generations) and a new League of
        Extraordinary Gentlemen (from some new publisher) that I am excited
        about.  Anything I else I should add to my "pull list"?  Is Big Bang
        published regularly (and by who, I didn't see it under Image)?  What
        about Ritchey's Green Lama?

        > Thanks in advance.
        >
        > Sean

      • William Reaves
        Message 3 of 22 , Mar 3, 2009
          I find Neil Gaiman's Eternals Series entertaining.

          I also noticed that he's writing Batman, and really enjoyed the latest issue, which includes a wake scene focusing on Catwoman and Alfred.

        • earth1redbee
          Message 4 of 22 , Mar 26, 2009
            I haven't posted in months, but I happened upon something almost a week ago that really made my weekend, and I believe it was a historic first: My almost-teenage son loves Batman: Brave & The Bold on Cartoon Network, and it apparently has a tradition of featuring a different guest star pre-credits than the guest star in the main part of each episode. I've found that sometimes Cartoon Network previews this brief appearance (as they recently did with Dr. Fate), but I guess not always.

            Last week I was stunned and thrilled beyond belief to find that the pre-credits guest star was The Flash -- and not one who wears all red, but a gray-haired Jay Garrick! To the best of my knowledge, this was his first non-print appearance ever!

            I didn't catch at the end the name of whoever provided his voice.

            It seems that many heroes who make an appearance before the opening credits later guest star in the main part of an episode, and this show has already given Wildcat a full appearance, so maybe a JSA team-up is in the works!

            In addition to Flash and Dr. Fate, I'd particularly love to see GL, the Atom, Starman, Sandman, and Johnny Thunder. JT in particular would seem to fit with this show's tone.

            Rich B.
          • Aaron Silver
            Message 5 of 22 , Mar 26, 2009
              Fellow Elect

              I liked how the aforementioned cartoon featured Bronze Tiger and Batman together. I liked how they were both past members of the league of assassins at the same time.

              I'd love to join that Dojo!

              Aaron

              --- In thejusticesociety@yahoogroups.com, earth1redbee <no_reply@...> wrote:

              > I haven't posted in months, but I happened upon something almost a week ago that really made my weekend, and I believe it was a historic first: My almost-teenage son loves Batman: Brave & The Bold on Cartoon Network, and it apparently has a tradition of featuring a different guest star pre-credits than the guest star in the main part of each episode. I've found that sometimes Cartoon Network previews this brief appearance (as they recently did with Dr. Fate), but I guess not always.
              >
              > Last week I was stunned and thrilled beyond belief to find that the pre-credits guest star was The Flash -- and not one who wears all red, but a gray-haired Jay Garrick! To the best of my knowledge, this was his first non-print appearance ever!
              >
              > I didn't catch at the end the name of whoever provided his voice.
              >
              > It seems that many heroes who make an appearance before the opening credits later guest star in the main part of an episode, and this show has already given Wildcat a full appearance, so maybe a JSA team-up is in the works!
              >
              > In addition to Flash and Dr. Fate, I'd particularly love to see GL, the Atom, Starman, Sandman, and Johnny Thunder. JT in particular would seem to fit with this show's tone.
              >
              > Rich B.

            • earth1redbee
              Message 6 of 22 , Mar 27, 2009
                I missed that one but I'm really glad they gave exposure to an obscure character like him, despite some strange rewrites in other instances (Black Lightning, Metamorpho and Katana as teenagers?!). I'm also not too keen on their personality for Aquaman though the change from grim and grumpy IS refreshing; also, he did come up with a neat idea for saving Rann (though that should've come from Adam Strange himself--but that was outweighed by my happiness to see another little-used character used).

                Rich B.

                P.S. Whoever wrote Sherlock Holmes and Watson into the Jay Garrick/Demon episode should've watched the PBS series first for an accurate portrayal of both characters.