Re: Speaking of Talking...

  • jfglade
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 1, 2009
      --- In thejusticesociety@yahoogroups.com, "Kris" <mavrck31@...> wrote:

      > That's my Guy. He never takes the easy ones. Likes to swing at the
      > nasty curves. ;-)
      >
      > I think it's acceptable to toss a number of names out there as
      > candidates, i also think it's realistic to assume DC will never say
      > who is #1 or #2.

      I find it interesting that one outragous message produced signs of
      breaking what was looking like it would be a two month long silence,
      and possibly the slow death of this group.

      DC has, and has always had, some super-scientists of the mad
      persuasion. I can remember Luthor figuring out a method for making
      himself invisible during a successful prison break by using a radio
      tube, a piece of (real) tinfoil from a stick of gum, an asprin, and
      some orange juice; why a character who could engineer such an
      unlikely escape plan would be replaced by someone who looks the same
      but represents nothing more than sixties and seventies cynicism about
      big business escapes me. The arguement is complicated by not being
      just about which character fits an all or nothing mindset, but also
      by which version of Batman or Luthor or whoever is being discussed.

      It is a new year, and it would be nice to see this group live through
      it.
    • Robert Kennedy
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 1, 2009
        --- jfglade <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        SNIP

        > I find it interesting that one outragous message produced
        > signs of breaking what was looking like it would be a two
        month long
        > silence, and possibly the slow death of this group.
        >
        > DC has, and has always had, some super-scientists of the mad
        > persuasion. I can remember Luthor figuring out a method for
        > making himself invisible during a successful prison break by
        using a
        > radio tube, a piece of (real) tinfoil from a stick of gum, an
        > asprin, and some orange juice; why a character who could
        engineer such an
        > unlikely escape plan would be replaced by someone who looks
        > the same but represents nothing more than sixties and
        seventies
        > cynicism about big business escapes me. The arguement is
        complicated by not
        > being just about which character fits an all or nothing
        mindset, but
        > also by which version of Batman or Luthor or whoever is being
        discussed.

        > It is a new year, and it would be nice to see this group live
        > through it.

        My favorite version of the Julie Schwartz era Luthor comes from
        Elliot Maggin's novel "The Last Son of Krypton".

        Here Lex is in and out of prison like a revolving door. He has
        escaped so often that he is only allowed a legal pad & ballpoint
        pen in his cell at night. These he uses to write down his ideas.

        One night he figures out how to use the gum/glue from the pad &
        ballpoint ink to create an explosive to get out of his cell.
        Then he decides against it. Next time around he wouldn't be able
        to write down his ideas. He'll escape another way.

        In the novel Lex and Kal-El must team up. That makes for some
        really droll dialog from Lex.

        _________________________________

        Plutonium Nightmare
        a novel of The VOICE

        By Erwin K. Roberts

        In PDF or Print-On-Demand formats.
        Free on-line preview of Intro & Chapters 1 & 2
        Now on sale at http://www.lulu.com/Modern-Knights
      • Kristofer Theilen
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 2, 2009
          Yeah, I liked the old purple and green Lex from the 70's best.

          I think Dr. Sivana might be another contestant for the #2 spot...

          > That's my Guy. He never takes the easy ones. Likes to swing at the
          > nasty curves. ;-)
          >
          > I think it's acceptable to toss a number of names out there as
          > candidates, i also think it's realistic to assume DC will never say
          > who is #1 or #2.

          I find it interesting that one outragous message produced signs of
          breaking what was looking like it would be a two month long silence,
          and possibly the slow death of this group.

          DC has, and has always had, some super-scientists of the mad
          persuasion. I can remember Luthor figuring out a method for making
          himself invisible during a successful prison break by using a radio
          tube, a piece of (real) tinfoil from a stick of gum, an asprin, and
          some orange juice; why a character who could engineer such an
          unlikely escape plan would be replaced by someone who looks the same
          but represents nothing more than sixties and seventies cynicism about
          big business escapes me. The arguement is complicated by not being
          just about which character fits an all or nothing mindset, but also
          by which version of Batman or Luthor or whoever is being discussed.

          It is a new year, and it would be nice to see this group live through
          it.

        • Mark Milton
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 2, 2009

            Didn’t Sivana actually predate Lex Luthor?  Much like CMjr and Mary Marvel predated Superboy and Supergirl?

            Yeah, I liked the old purple and green Lex from the 70's best.

            I think Dr. Sivana might be another contestant for the #2 spot...

            > That's my Guy. He never takes the easy ones. Likes to swing at the
            > nasty curves. ;-)
            >
            > I think it's acceptable to toss a number of names out there as
            > candidates, i also think it's realistic to assume DC will never say
            > who is #1 or #2.

            I find it interesting that one outragous message produced signs of
            breaking what was looking like it would be a two month long silence,
            and possibly the slow death of this group.

            DC has, and has always had, some super-scientists of the mad
            persuasion. I can remember Luthor figuring out a method for making
            himself invisible during a successful prison break by using a radio
            tube, a piece of (real) tinfoil from a stick of gum, an asprin, and
            some orange juice; why a character who could engineer such an
            unlikely escape plan would be replaced by someone who looks the same
            but represents nothing more than sixties and seventies cynicism about
            big business escapes me. The arguement is complicated by not being
            just about which character fits an all or nothing mindset, but also
            by which version of Batman or Luthor or whoever is being discussed.

            It is a new year, and it would be nice to see this group live through
            it.

          • David Young
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 6, 2009
              Yes, but only by about two months.

              Sivana first appeared in WHIZ COMICS #2 (February 1940).

              Luthor first appeared in SUPERMAN #4 (Spring 1940) and only a week or two later in ACTION COMICS #23 (April 1940) (the story in ACTION takes place first, however).

              What with the shortness of time between the releases, the amount of time those issues would have been in preproduction, and the fact that Luthor was first portrayed as a red haired (not bald) evil scientist, I doubt that one could have had an influence in the creation of the other.

              David Young
              Atlanta, GA

              (Sent from my iPhone)