Annual/Earth 2

  • KLub615@aol.com
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 2, 2008
      I read the JSA Annual and was totally intrigued until last pages. When they brought in a 2nd Power Girl, that threw it off for me. I was also happy to see a classic Bat-villain (Joker, who appeared in the Huntress b/u in Wonder Woman and JLA 136), along with the mention of other Bat villains who died.

      Here is what I do not understand

      JSA and Infinity Inc had merged, yet the Rick Tyler Hourman was not present.

      Fury mentioned "mother will be so pleased" referring to Wonder Woman, yet where was she when she did appear in the Earth 2 splash at the end of 52

      The feelings revealed between Helena and Dick. That was never revealed in the original b/u series and one would think that with he as her surrogate brother, it would not foster her feelings towards him

      I do think that the Power Girl that appeared may have been a trick of a Psycho Pirate if he was on that Earth-2 as well.

      I am looking forward to following this storyline in JSA, as I was always intrigued with Earth 2 back in the day

      I was willing to say this was where Huntress and Robin ended up after COIE, but all of the JSA (Except for Superman, Batman, Robin, Huntress, and Wonder Woman) and Infinity Inc. were folded into the new Earth. I know the Earth 2 Flash appeared in Arena. I would like this version of JSI to crossover with the current JSA in the style of the old crossovers of 1963-85, and quite possibly the Crime Society of Earth 3. I d even like to see a new version of All Star Squadron.

    • Mark Milton
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 2, 2008

        I enjoyed the issue as well, being an old time infinity inc fan, one thing that has always puzzled me is how willingly the inhabitants of Earth-2 refer to their world as being Earth-2!  After all,  at least pre-COIE, they had been around longer! And It just seems unnatural that such a designation would be used by them to describe their relationship to all the other ‘earths’

        IIRC this was addressed in the JLA story that reintroduced the Crime Syndicate, with each side referring to their ‘earth’ as the  being the primary, which would seem much more natural

        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 2, 2008
          Hi,

          I just read the JSA Annual for the second time, and I still like it. It's definiately edgy. This Earth-2 is probably about 10 years later than when we last saw it. Infinity Inc has grown up and taken the place of the JSA. They are now the JSI, Justice Society Infinity. The Star-Spangled Kid is their chairman (with no mention of his  transformation to Skyman and subsequent death in the original Infinity Inc series). It's hard to tell where this universe cuts off.

          You wrote

          > I would like this version of JSI to crossover with the current
          JSA in the style of the old crossovers of 1963-85, and quite possibly the Crime Society of Earth 3.

          I love the idea. It would be a great way to explore this new Earth-2. I too was a little disappointed when Power Girl said call in everyone, that so many were AWOL.

          >I d even like to see a new version of All Star Squadron.

          I'm a JSA purist. In their own book, I'd like to see the original and close chip-off-the-ole-blocks over the shiny new guys like Commander Steel, the FDR knock-off, whoever. I like Star and I like Cyclone, they have originality, as Power Girl did (and does) in her best days, as the Earth-2 Cousin of the Golden Age Superman.  I sincerely hope that the plan is to spin the new characters off into their own series, perhaps a modern day Freedom Fighters or (deep breath) a modern regrouping of the classic All-Star Squadron. I love this pre-Crisis nostaligia.

          When the doppleganger Power Girl appeared at the end, notyice that she had not evolved. She was Kara just as she was in the original 1970s JSA All-Star run. She was dressed identically to the Levitz-Staton, down to at least two hair-dos and several of the poses. She was hot-tempered, kick ass first and ask questions later, just as we left her. It's what the Earth-2 JSA expected.  She's there as a contrast.

          As for the villian. I'm betting its Brainwave. Perhaps he hooked up with the Ultra Humanite and had his brain poreserved in a new body (ala ASC # 58-59; as well as Showcase #99). He is capable of producing an image of PG, and naturally would do it in the mold of the last time he fought her. Either a WW back-up tale (where he, the aging Joker, and Lionsmane, all appeared as villians) or her solo try-out in Showcase 97-99 which told her origin fo the first time.

          The Crime Syndacite as villians. Yes. I recall them from the Secret Society of Supervillians #13-15 and their confrontation with Captain Comet in the late 1970s. Of course JSA 29-30 is priceless. What a great storyline. I love these characters. I want to see more of them and their world. Bring it on!

          My dream, a JSA series set in the turbulent 1960s which merges the now-retired classic JSA with historic current events, the post-Crisis chronology, and pop culture of the day.

          I am so glad that DC is doing this. In comics, anything is possible.

          Best Regards,

          William

          Author of:

          Viktor Rydberg's Investigations into Germanic Mythology, Vol. II, Part 1: Indo-European Mythology
          Translated and Annotated by William P. Reaves
          (iUniverse, 2007)

          Viktor Rydberg's Investigations into Germanic Mythology, Vol. II, Part 2: Germanic Mythology
          Translated and Annotated by William P. Reaves  (iUniverse, 2004)

          Our Fathers' Godsaga by Viktor Rydberg, Illustrated by John Bauer
          Translated by William P. Reaves (iUniverse, 2003)

          Available at bn.com and wherever books are sold.

        • Christian
          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 3, 2008

            Hi,

            Judging from the regular JSA series, there’s certainly a large enough cast for an All-Star Squadron book.  I was expecting an adventure that would take the whole boated cast of the regular book over into a new world to find Power Girl, only for a number of them to volunteer to stay (not too believable but hey, it’s a world under threat with no heroes a la freedom fighters) or be similarly stranded.

            So, seeing the old Infinity inc having inherited the mantle of the JSA was a little bit of a surprise. I’m not sure I even want to look at the continuity of it all, it gets so confusing J Their Superman is missing after crisis and has never been found (a la end of Crisis), Power Girl goes off to find him (wasn’t this in a JSA tale fairly recently?) Yet, despite Supes a la end of crisis, both Huntress and Robin survived when they died in the same story? That throws me a little. All the infinitors look fairly identical. That’s disappointing as it would have been nice to show that they had changed too, if not in the ways we’ve already encountered. It’s just a direct take from a distant point in time. Admittedly a lot of the stories were dreadful so it’s nice to see Jade alive after some poor Outsiders and GL material (oh and her death of course. Lame story). I admit you couldn’t retcon or alter them in a way that would please everyone.

            On the plus side, the Huntress had more development here than I’ve seen possibly ever. I took it to be that the person she really cared for was Power Girl? I was reading it kind of quickly, but I only picked up on the attachment form Grayson’s side, and not Wayne’s.

            Does anyone see a long term future for an All –Star Squadron book (almost used the abbreviation there)? The original was based on characters with a history of single stories form the ‘40s (Commander Steel from the ‘70s and Robotman/Johnny Quick lasting into the 50s possibly). The new cast have been given a few scenes and then it’s been time to introduce another character. To me, they’ve not had any real exposure. Perhaps a new book is just the answer to that, as long as there are plenty of unknown details about nearly all of them to base the stories around.

            I often feel that there’s a lack of depth to many newly introduced characters. In many instances this is a good thing. The character’s writer has huge story arcs in mind that unveil new mysteries as we go (Starman comes to mind for that). However, it’s often the case that there *is*no depth. There’s no grand plan, just a name and a gimmick and a stale supporting cast. Either we have stale derivative villains or Z-Grade older villains being embarrassed by the new kid on the block (Dr Light anyone?).

            Shiny Steel, FDR’s grandkid, Judomaster certainly fall into that category. Amazing Man isn’t too far behind but he’s an improvement over his predecessor.

            So, who can explain where this world fits into the orrary of 52 worlds?  Is that still in place? It’s been five minutes after all, and I know what level to expect from DC editorial.

            On a final note It was nice seeing the characters at least written in a way consistent to their origins. That was nice and it’s a shame that so many writers subsequently failed to do that for them.

            I don’t like living in the past, but it’s often the only place where characters are written consistently well. J Having said that, I found rereading the first few Infinity Inc issues almost unreadable in their verbosity a while ago. Yet Thomas and Claremont were at the top of their game at the time.

> [...]

            My dream, a JSA series set in the turbulent 1960s which merges the now-retired classic JSA with historic current events, the post-Crisis chronology, and pop culture of the day.

            I am so glad that DC is doing this. In comics, anything is possible.

            Best Regards,

            William

            Author of:

            Viktor Rydberg's Investigations into Germanic Mythology, Vol. II, Part 1: Indo-European Mythology
            Translated and Annotated by William P. Reaves
            (iUniverse, 2007)

            Viktor Rydberg's Investigations into Germanic Mythology, Vol. II, Part 2: Germanic Mythology
            Translated and Annotated by William P. Reaves  (iUniverse, 2004)

            Our Fathers' Godsaga by Viktor Rydberg, Illustrated by John Bauer
            Translated by William P. Reaves (iUniverse, 2003)

          • Tommy Vélez
            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 3, 2008
              Remember that they were probably not around anymore by Crisis #11. Geoff Johns retconned them out of those issues so they would still be alive and well. Although anyone can claim that Huntress survived Crisis because her body was never found. This was established by Harbinger at the end of Crisis. The Infinitors now existed in New Earth and Earth-2 because New Earth was an Earth created by the Crisis so there's going to be a copy of everybody on that Earth. Thats what I think anyway. I am just really happy with the Annual. I also think the second Power girl is a fake. The timing of her arrival is too convenient. She had supposedly been gone for years and she appears on the same day our Power girl does. She appears hours after Huntress and Kara fought the Joker. The villains might have discovered her return and engineered something sinister.

              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 4, 2008

                Hi,

                I reckon the first Power Girl is a skrull and it’s actually the later arriving one, with the anger management issues, that’s the real one.

                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 4, 2008
                  Maybe THIS Power Girl is really J'onn J'onzz, The Martian Manhunter, and THAT'S how they're gonna bring him back froim the dead?  He can shape shift into women, too, remember?  LOL!
                     Christian

> [...]

                  My dream, a JSA series set in the turbulent 1960s which merges the now-retired classic JSA with historic current events, the post-Crisis chronology, and pop culture of the day.

                  I am so glad that DC is doing this. In comics, anything is possible.

                  Best Regards,

                  William

                  Author of:

                  Viktor Rydberg's Investigations into Germanic Mythology, Vol. II, Part 1: Indo-European Mythology
                  Translated and Annotated by William P. Reaves
                  (iUniverse, 2007)

                  Viktor Rydberg's Investigations into Germanic Mythology, Vol. II, Part 2: Germanic Mythology
                  Translated and Annotated by William P. Reaves  (iUniverse, 2004)

                  Our Fathers' Godsaga by Viktor Rydberg, Illustrated by John Bauer
                  Translated by William P. Reaves (iUniverse, 2003)

                • rob newton
                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 4, 2008
                    could be dc hasn't fooled with skrulls too  much unless you sort of count Martian man hunter who is dead but just like red tornado no is really dead in comics!
> [...]

                    My dream, a JSA series set in the turbulent 1960s which merges the now-retired classic JSA with historic current events, the post-Crisis chronology, and pop culture of the day.

                    I am so glad that DC is doing this. In comics, anything is possible.

                    Best Regards,

                    William

                    Author of:

                    Viktor Rydberg's Investigations into Germanic Mythology, Vol. II, Part 1: Indo-European Mythology
                    Translated and Annotated by William P. Reaves
                    (iUniverse, 2007)

                    Viktor Rydberg's Investigations into Germanic Mythology, Vol. II, Part 2: Germanic Mythology
                    Translated and Annotated by William P. Reaves  (iUniverse, 2004)

                    Our Fathers' Godsaga by Viktor Rydberg, Illustrated by John Bauer
                    Translated by William P. Reaves (iUniverse, 2003)

                  • Barry Walker
                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 4, 2008
                      Nah. She's a Martian.

                      Message 10 of 19 , Aug 4, 2008
                        I think that the Power Girl that was modeled after the original 1970s version is a creation of Clayface, Brainwave, Psycho Pirate (if he is on this Earth 2), Ultra Humanite, or any combination thereof.

                      • terry doro
                        Message 11 of 19 , Aug 4, 2008
                          I am of the opinion that this is, in fact, NOT the Earth-2 that you and I (and Kara) grew up with at all. Perhaps, given the god-like abilities exhibited by GOG, this Earth is actually an Earth of his creation, forged from the fabric of Power Girls memories of her former life. Knowing Geoff Johns though it could be (and probably IS) something else entirely.
                          Either way- I, for one, will be anxiously awaiting this arcs outcome. Johns has NEVER failed to surprise and delight me with his deft handling of these iconic characters.

                          Message 12 of 19 , Aug 5, 2008
                            if she is I m taking the next rocket there. Martians are hot!

                            Message 13 of 19 , Aug 5, 2008
                               That's the good/bad thing about shapeshifters.

                              Message 14 of 19 , Aug 5, 2008

                                Speaking of Reddy – did anyone ever prefer him as the big bad elemental? I *think* that was the point of his being captured by the Anti-Monitor in the original series.

                                Hang on, if the Manhunter has been a Skrull (no doubt switched during the JLA/Avengers cross over, that means the real one could still be out there! Another DC death rescinded!

                                 Nah, it would never happen that way. I mean, I haven’t casually retconned anything or stepped all over 20 years of continuity …bah….

                                Message 15 of 19 , Aug 5, 2008

                                  Hi,

                                  OK, Let’s sum up the options

                                  -          It’s Clayface getting in touch with his feminine side (unless it’s the fourth Clayface who was a woman. Or was it the fifth?…probably retconned anyway)

                                  -          It’s Psycho Pirate – either a construct as done previously or him altering the perceptions of everyone

                                  -          It’s Power Girl from any one of 52 to infinity alternate Earths (considering parallel timelines on so many earths, no surprise her turning up on same day). No big deal, there are billions of Power Girls across the multiverse (or 52, or 51 if that world got wiped clean or...)

                                  -          It’s the real Power girl and “our” one is any one of the other options

                                  -          It’s a construct of “our” Firestorm, brought to life (remember when they used be a couple in those cross-earth JLA tales aaaawwwww sweet)

                                  -          It’s the silicon from all those boob jobs, now with sentience.

                                  -          Its a construct of this Earth’s Anti Monitor. He’s been in hiding trying to work out how the Huntress and Robin are still alive.

                                  -          The whole world is a construct of Gog, so all of the JSI will be going bye-bye  at the end of the story line.

                                  -          It’s Ultra in a new body a la Ms Winters.

                                  -          It’s Professor Ivo having some fun with mechanics, after Tomorrow Woman detonated rather than date him.

                                  -          Both are real Power Girls. “Ours” is really the granddaughter of Arion after all and just gets a bit confused every decade or so.

                                  -          She’s this Earth’s first white Martian. Going for a heroine in a white costume cuts down on the effort of the shape change.

                                  -          It’s an alternate earth Super-Robot Duplicate straight out of a fortress of solitude (If the earth-2 supes ever had one. Heck, if this even *is* Earth-2. which it’s not. Gah! Head hurts J)

                                  -          It’s definitely a Skrull. Someone call Reed Richards! No, I *don’t* care what continuity he’s in. It’s his mess and he can clean it up…

                                  -          It’s Jimmy Olsen, his weird fourth world powers altering his gender in another of those wacky tales. Jimmy is now cosmic after Countdown and travels the Earths (occasionally as a man).

                                  -          No one now knows  who she is. It’s all too confusing in such a continuity disaster. As it will all be retconned away momentarily, don’t worry about it and enjoy.

                                  -          They are both the same Powergirl, but from different time periods.

                                  Right, that’s narrowed the field down. The only teeny, tiny, slender chance that it’s not one of the above is if it’s something different…

                                  Incidentally, I still think trying to weedle out of the deaths of Huntress, Robin and Kole ranks up there with the lamest retcon in comics history. Shadow Demons approach, no way out, Kole creates a crystal barrier, the shadow demons attack the barrier and there’s smoking ruins left. As the shadows *disintegrate* everything they touch, this isn’t a surprise. DC then gets to launch their new Huntress (related to the mafia) and Jason Todd (petty crook who will cheat death to become *really* a rather dull character), in DC’s new lighter post crisis universe.

                                  The continuity is happy, DC are happy so everyone gets to move on (well, nearly everyone). A few years later and it’s pretty apparent that Helena Wayne was a much better character. D’Oh too late, but someone will have to show me how they got out of that one. Oh, and if they’re alive, is Kole alive now too. Someone should let Jericho know. He’s been dead too, so they’ll have lots to discuss.

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Aug 6, 2008
                                    I like the god like is it gog thing. I always wondered what happened to all the art 2 continuity. I thought they wee off fighting that big dragon in Norse land! comics will always surprise you. a couple of years ago oracle from the jla 100-102 team up popped up man I hadn't seen him in 30 some years. and mister terrific number 2 storyline dealing with faith in jsa was a nice touch.
[...]

                                    -          span>No one now knows  who she is. It’s all too confusing in such a continuity disaster. As it will all be retconned away momentarily, don’t worry about it and enjoy.

[...]

                                  • kjeverhart
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Aug 6, 2008
                                      --- In thejusticesociety@yahoogroups.com, "Christian" <comics@...>
                                      wrote:

                                      > Hi,
                                      >

                                      > OK, Let's sum up the options
                                      > > - It's definitely a Skrull. Someone call Reed Richards!
                                      No, I
                                      > *don't* care what continuity he's in. It's his mess and he can clean
                                      it up.

                                      You know, it could just be a Durlan. More DCU of an angle.

                                      kje
                                    • kjeverhart
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Aug 6, 2008
                                        wrote:
                                        > show me how they got out of that one. Oh, and if they're alive, is
                                        Kole
                                        > alive now too. Someone should let Jericho know. He's been dead too, so
                                        > they'll have lots to discuss.

                                        Wasn't Kole in that Legion of the Unliving style Teen Titans issue a
                                        couple of years ago? As a zombie-ish popup, I believe. Coming after
                                        Superboy-Prime emerged and thus after the pounding, it would seem to
                                        preclude a Kole return.

                                        kje
                                      • Christian
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Aug 7, 2008

                                          Gah! How could I have forgotten about the Durlans!!?

                                          Can I redeem my forgetfulness in saying that it’s not Power Girl at all.. but Proty (angry that Lightning Lad has returned and budged in on his fun with Saturn Girl)?