Re: [The Justice Society] JSA and events

  • christian
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 1, 2008

      What's your favorite JLA/JSA team-up??  Mine is the JLA/JSA/New Gods crisis, where Darkseid was brought back to life by the Injustice Society!

                      Christian

      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 1, 2008
        I like the ones with Injustice Society (1975), and SSOSV (1981)

      • Kristofer Theilen
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 1, 2008
          1) The JLA/JSA/ALL STAR SQUADRON
          2) JSA/JLA vs Injustice Society/Injustice League
          3) JLA/JSA vs Lord of Time

          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 2, 2008
            > What's your favorite JLA/JSA team-up??  Mine is the
            JLA/JSA/New Gods crisis, where Darkseid was brought back to life by
            the Injustice Society!
            >                 Christian

            I agree, this was one of the best. I also really, really liked the
            SSOSV/Ultra-Humanite story, and the Crisis on Earth-S team-up. A
            shame it took DC 20 years to do anything else with any of the non-
            Marvel Fawcett characters.

            da 'Cat!
          • terry doro
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 2, 2008

                 I particularly enjoyed the VIRTUE AND VICE hardcover graphic novel that came out a few years back. My favorite JSA stuff to this day remains the Paul Levitz/Wally Wood stuff in All-Star Comics in the '70s; especially the time-travel tale that sent the team to the time of King Arthur in a quest to stop the evil machinations of Vandal Savage.

                As a side note; when he started drawing her Power Girl had relatively average-( for a comic book )-sized breasts. As time passed Wally Wood drew her breasts increasingly larger until they reached their present ample proportions. And all because he wanted to see if anyone NOTICED.

                 I also suspect Wally was a fan of boobs too though.
              > What's your favorite JLA/JSA team-up??  Mine is the
              JLA/JSA/New Gods crisis, where Darkseid was brought back to life by
              the Injustice Society!
              >                 Christian

              I agree, this was one of the best. I also really, really liked the
              SSOSV/Ultra- Humanite story, and the Crisis on Earth-S team-up. A
              shame it took DC 20 years to do anything else with any of the non-
              Marvel Fawcett characters.

              da 'Cat!

            • Barry Walker
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 2, 2008
                Trust me. He was. Ever read any of his non-Code work?

                   I particularly enjoyed the VIRTUE AND VICE hardcover graphic novel that came out a few years back. My favorite JSA stuff to this day remains the Paul Levitz/Wally Wood stuff in All-Star Comics in the '70s; especially the time-travel tale that sent the team to the time of King Arthur in a quest to stop the evil machinations of Vandal Savage.

                  As a side note; when he started drawing her Power Girl had relatively average-( for a comic book )-sized breasts. As time passed Wally Wood drew her breasts increasingly larger until they reached their present ample proportions. And all because he wanted to see if anyone NOTICED.

                   I also suspect Wally was a fan of boobs too though.
                > What's your favorite JLA/JSA team-up??  Mine is the
                JLA/JSA/New Gods crisis, where Darkseid was brought back to life by
                the Injustice Society!
                >                 Christian

                I agree, this was one of the best. I also really, really liked the
                SSOSV/Ultra- Humanite story, and the Crisis on Earth-S team-up. A
                shame it took DC 20 years to do anything else with any of the non-
                Marvel Fawcett characters.

                da 'Cat!

              • Dave Barnowski
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 2, 2008
                  I go back a ways I dodn't know the issue numbers but my favorite
                  JSA/JLA team up was the one where Johnny Thunder's T-bolt is taken
                  over by the Earth 1 Johnny Thunder and he eliminates the JLA. The JSA
                  first imitate the JLA and then defeat criminal versions of the JLA. I
                  also liked the introduction of the Earth 2 Robin and the the one
                  where the Ultra-Humanite eliminates all the heroes on Earth 2 with
                  wonderful art work by George Perez.
                  I also liked the pre Zero Hour JSA series that was right before the
                  current incarnation. the one that introduced Jesse Quick.
                  That is not to say that the current version isn't any good, but the
                  JSA is not the same to me since that damned Zero Hour mini series
                  which I hated. That series started the ending of me collecting comics
                  after 40+ years.
                  Dave

                  --- In thejusticesociety@yahoogroups.com, christian <comixreadr@...>

                • fdurso@comcast.net
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 2, 2008
                    My fave JLA/JSA was my first, the one that hOOKED ME - JLA 101....Seven Soldiers
                    of Victory....

                    second would be the one with the freedom fighters, then SANDY's creature in a
                    velvet cage......then the SSSV three way crossover that imploded.

                    Frank "and one of must die" D'U
                  • William Reaves
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 3, 2008
                      My all-time favorite JLA/JSA team-up is the one in JLA #29 & #30 introducing the Crime Syndacite of America. Nothing beats it in my book.  It's a shame that those characters were not used again for another 15 years or so, until Secret Society of Super-Villians #13 & 14. They are certainly viable, as their many reapearances in recent times have shown. I always wanted to know more about Superwoman, who she was exactly. Power Ring was also fun and could have added to the GL mythos (as the landmark GL 110-111 did with the origin of the Starheart from Earrth-I that created the Earth-II GL's ring.).

                      Close seconds are the team-ups introducing the Earth-S characters from Fawcett Comics into the DC Universe, and the so-called Freedom Fighters of Earth-X. I forget the issue numbers. I always liked when the heroes visited parallel universes with super-heroes and villians. I suppose a lot of other people did too, since parallel universes is a staple of the DCU.

                      The Power Girl/Huntress team-ups (whereever they took place) were always favorites. I secretly hoped that DC would do a World's Finest series with PG & H as the main characters!

                      Staton and Levitz were the bomb. I read all of the Huntress solo stories in Wonder Woman, her origin in DC Superstars #17 (as well as Black Canary's) and the Batman family back-up, now collected in TPB. The Power Girl solos in Showcase 97-99 are still a favorite, (as are the Mr. and Mrs. Superman stories from Superman family). The Levitz and Staton JSA run in All-Star #66 onward is iconic, as far as I am concerned. I was buying them off the stands. The issues with the Psycho-Pirate (68-69), Rose & The Thorn and Sportsmaster and Huntress (71-72)  are my favs. The disbanding of the JSA in the 1950s in Adventure is also another personal favorite. These stories expanded and solidified the JSA mythos for me, long before the Roy Thomas era.

                      The end of my comics buying career began right after Crisis on Infinite Earths wiped out Earth-2 and decimated the JSA, the All-Star Squadron, and Infinity Inc. Huntress was dead and Power Girl was a reject from Atlantis. I was crushed. I was in college then and stopped reading comics for a long time afterwards, checking in once and a while to see any JSA related material. The Archives editions and the few JSA mini-series were highlights. I loved Sandman Mystery Theatre (esp. the Hour-man issues!) and the Starman series was very well-done. I am pleased that the new JSA series (plural) have done as well as they have. They brought me back into the fold.

                      I am not pleased to see the focus on the legacy heroes so much. There are too many of them, and they are only peripherally related. A grandson of FDR???? C'mon! I hope the book gets back to the core team and that these extra-heroes spin-off into their own series or something. I like the new Mr. Terrific, Stargirl  and Cyclone, but the rest (including Wildcat II), can go.

                      I thought Kingdom Come was a great JSA tribute. Thus, I like the addition of the Earth-22 Superman to the current team and I cannot wait for Welcome to Earth-2 this summer. I am counting the days.

                    • KLub615@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 3, 2008
                        In the Huntress "Darknight Daughter" TP, there is a storyline where Power Girl teams up with Huntress, as well as surrogate big brother Robin in a few storylines