New to Group, Looking for JSA series info

  • armadillo73062000
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 2, 2008
      Hi, I'm new to this group and getting back into comics after a long
      time. I have finished all the trade paperbacks of the JSA series which
      apperntly ends at issue 87. Looking online there is a JSA but it is up
      to issue 18. So where did JSA go after issue 87? What is the
      connection to the current series and what else did I miss in between?
      I also had 9 of the 10 issue series from 92, Justice Society of
      America. I'm missing issue 6. Anyone have it? Or maybe a scan so I can
      at least read the story?
      I've always loved the Golden Age heroes and one of my favorite, then
      current series, was the All Star Squadron.
      Anyway, like I said, just getting back into this. I'd appreciate any
      help and if I can I'd prefer to get trade paper backs as obviously
      that is easier. It is however hard to keep track of things (and I
      always hated the Crisis on Infinite Earths bit, turned me off of comics).
      Thanks, AndyB, NH.
    • immortalwildcat
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 2, 2008
        --- In thejusticesociety@yahoogroups.com, "armadillo73062000"
        <armadillo73062000@...> wrote:

        > Hi, I'm new to this group and getting back into comics after a long
        > time. I have finished all the trade paperbacks of the JSA series which
        > apperntly ends at issue 87. Looking online there is a JSA but it is up
        > to issue 18. So where did JSA go after issue 87? What is the
        > connection to the current series and what else did I miss in between?

        At the end of the previous series, the brownstone was pretty much
        destroyed during the battle with the Gentleman Ghost. During the
        interim, the JSA gets a new headquarters in Battery Park, this
        apparently happens in conjunction with events from 52 and World War
        III, though the Gentleman Ghost story supposedly happens in the "One
        Year Later" period following 52.

        The new series picks up with the "old guard" (Green Lantern, Flash,
        Wildcat and Hawkman) hashing over legacies and recruits for the team.
        Wildcat is disgruntled with the role of mentor, until it is found that
        he has a son that he never knew about. Turns out the kid (result of a
        fling with a bank teller after Wildcat stopped a robbery at her bank
        by the Gambler) somehow has the power to turn into a man-cat creature.
        Over the first few issues, they also introduce a new Mr. America,
        Cyclone, the grand-daughter of the original Red Tornado, the latest
        Starman, who is actually the former Star Boy of the Legion of
        Superheros, and new members Liberty Belle (the former Jesse Quick) and
        Damage, who now wears a full-face mask like the original Atom's to
        hide his scarred face. A nephew of Hank Heywood's is also introduced
        as Citizen Steel.

        da 'Cat!
      • armadillo73062000
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 2, 2008

          > The new series picks up with the "old guard" (Green Lantern, Flash,
          > Wildcat and Hawkman) hashing over legacies and recruits for the team.
          > Wildcat is disgruntled with the role of mentor, until it is found that
          > he has a son that he never knew about. Turns out the kid (result of a
          > fling with a bank teller after Wildcat stopped a robbery at her bank
          > by the Gambler) somehow has the power to turn into a man-cat creature.
          > Over the first few issues, they also introduce a new Mr. America,
          > Cyclone, the grand-daughter of the original Red Tornado, the latest
          > Starman, who is actually the former Star Boy of the Legion of
          > Superheros, and new members Liberty Belle (the former Jesse Quick) and
          > Damage, who now wears a full-face mask like the original Atom's to
          > hide his scarred face. A nephew of Hank Heywood's is also introduced
          > as Citizen Steel.
          >

          > da 'Cat!

          Okay, that helps. But I am still trying to figure the series. It sounds like 1-87 which was
          collected in the tpb was one series and 87 was the end? Was the next series the current
          one which is at (I think) issue 18? It's hard to keep track since they were all titles Justice
          Society or JSA. And, has this current series been collected in any trade paper backs? One
          more, what about JSA Liberty Files and JSA Unclassified?
          I am just having trouble keeping track of the order of these series so I don't end up
          getting repeats.
          Thanks, AndyB, NH (have to say my favorites were the Golden Age Dr. Midnight and The
          Sandman).
        • immortalwildcat
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 4, 2008
            <armadillo73062000@...> wrote:
            > Okay, that helps. But I am still trying to figure the series. It
            sounds like 1-87 which was
            > collected in the tpb was one series and 87 was the end? Was the next
            series the current
            > one which is at (I think) issue 18?

            That's correct. JSA (the series that ran for 87 issues) ended with the
            storyline in which the JSA's headquarters was destroyed. "Justice
            Society" is the new series, and picks up after the events of World War
            III. There really wasn't any good reason to re-start the series, other
            than DC was re-starting JLA, and wanted to keep the titles on a
            similar track.

            > Society or JSA. And, has this current series been collected in any
            trade paper backs?

            I know there have been trades issued, but I'm not sure how they were
            structured. I have seen house ads for one collecting the recent
            stories that introduced the "Kingdom Come" Superman to the mainstream
            DC universe and added him to the ranks of the JSA.

            > One more, what about JSA Liberty Files and JSA Unclassified?

            Liberty Files is an Elseworld story (or stories) and is not part of
            the JSA continuity. Both Liberty Files miniseries have been collected
            as trade paperbacks. JSA Classified runs alongside the main JSA book,
            and I think they've been doing trade books on that as well.

            da 'Cat!