Re: [The Justice Society] 52 JSAs

  • immortalwildcat
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 1, 2007
      --- In thejusticesociety@yahoogroups.com, "William Reaves"
      <wreaves@...> wrote:

      > Can someone explain Hyper-time to me?

      No.

      Seriously, I don't think anybody, including Mark Waid, can really
      explain Hyper-time.

      da 'Cat!
    • Kristofer Theilen
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 1, 2007
        I'll take a crack:

        Bear with me.  I'll start briefly with the Crisis on Infinite Earths in the mid 80's.  Multiple Earths existed and most comic book fans understood it.  Some geniuses at DC decided to merge everything onto one earth and killed off some major heroes along the way.  The plan was that the editors would keep a tight reign on the new continuity.

        Not 10 years later, we already had multiple versions of Hawkman (Carter Hall, the 60's Katar Hol, the Hawkworld Katar Hol, and some Hybrid Hawkman with real wings that communed with the Hawk Avatar), multiple timelines (Read the Ray series for several continuity screw ups including what Christopher Priest did to the GA Ray and introducing an older brother to Ray Terrill who somehow never aged), and multiple origins for Donna Troy, Superman, Wonder Woman, and the Justice League.  Plus the whole thing of sending the JSA to Ragnarok and the major screw up of Power Girl as a descendant of Arion of Atlantis.

        This lead us to Zero Hour, which supposedly re-set time in the DCU and most of the origins.  Some characters, like Donna Troy and Psycho Pirate, were still screwed up.  Plus we started having all the "elseworlds" tales.

        Then came Kingdom Come.  Alex Ross and his vision of the DCU future.  By the time his "elseworlds" tale was done, fans wanted more.  So, when they used Gog to shatter the timeline by killing Superman over and over again by going back in time (killing Supes on 6/1/xxxx, then on 5/31/xxxx, etc) creating a paradox.  Some of the Kingdom Come Kids (Offspring, Ibin Al Z'ufasch (??? on spelling), Offspring, and Kid Flash) came back and helped the modern day Supes, WW, and Batman defeat Gog.  In the process, the KC son of Superman and Wonder Woman came along and showed everyone Hypertime.

        Basically Hypertime was multiple DIMENSIONS where any and all stories existed.  Then Superboy had a storyline involving a duplicate from another "earth" named Black Zero.  Flash was replaced by WALLACE West, the "Dark Flash", for a year, and so on.

        Then it was hinted with Rip Hunter and Waverider that the multiple earths never disappeared in the first place, only a NEW earth was created that was an amalgam of the main 10 (I think) earths from the crisis.

        Now Infinite Crisis hit, and followed by 52.  This probably just reinforces that they just don't learn from their mistakes and can't keep a tight reign on their editors and writers.

        Hope that helps more than it confuses, and I wrote this all from memory, so some things may have blurred together, but I think it's pretty accurate.

        Kris

        <wreaves@... > wrote:

        > Can someone explain Hyper-time to me?

        No.

        Seriously, I don't think anybody, including Mark Waid, can really
        explain Hyper-time.

        da 'Cat!

        Looking for earth-friendly autos?

      • William Reaves
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 2, 2007
          Thanks Kristofer.

          That makes perfect sense. I have been reading comics since the 1970s, and have collected back to the 40s. I love the JSA.

          I kind of "dropped out" after the first Crisis and have only read selectively since. I tuned in for events like Final Night, Zero Hour, and the new Crisis, and have read series like Kingdom Come, Starman, Sandman Mystery Theatre and JSA.

          Thanks,

          William
        • Allen Neuner
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 5, 2007
            --- In thejusticesociety@yahoogroups.com, c_midnite <c_midnite@...>
            wrote:
            > Thanks for the great brief Allen. Should be a wiki entry somewhere.
            >
            > I haven't read the last few issues of 52 (it is my understanding
            that World War comes before them and I am missing issue 1 of that),
            is the new multiverse a result of those? Or did you gather that
            information somewhere else. This is a huge change to the DCverse (a
            positive one if you ask me, now they just need 52 editors, one for
            each universe, and they can write whatever they want, as long as it
            fits into the continuity of whereever they are...), seems like it
            should have been showcased somewhere rather than just hints dropped
            here and there.<

            Sean,

            The 52 Earths in the new multiverse are in issue 52 of "52". That's
            also where you see Mr. Mind eating histories and changing the
            Earths. Plus lots of action with Rip Hunter, Booster Gold,
            and...Supernova?

            -- Allen