Re: [The Justice Society] JSA 4/classified

  • fdurso@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2007
      KT -

      I liked the art style in JSA Classified. It was very much like the Guy Davis art from Sandman Mystery Theatre.

      I also liked DREAM GIRL showing up.......that's way cool, and hey, maybe Mordru is making a comeback with the lack of a regular Dr Fate (until issue #1 anyhow)

      Frank "JSA fan club meeting every tuesday" D'Urso
    • Kristofer Theilen

        From: thejusticesociety@yahoogroups.com
        To: thejusticesociety@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [The Justice Society] Digest Number 1192
        Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 20:48:39 +0000

        DC's JSA

        Messages In This Digest (2 Messages)

        1a.
        Re: JSA #4 SPOILERS AHEAD From: Kristofer Theilen
        2a.
        Re: all star companion vol 2 From: Mikel Norwitz

        Messages

        1a.

        Re: JSA #4 SPOILERS AHEAD

        Posted by: "Kristofer Theilen" mavrck31@...   mavrck31

        Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:49 am (PST)

        wonderful recap!

        I am very happy with the JSA but, not quite happy with JSA Classified. The art on the recent Dr. Mid-Nite 2 parter was horrible, and the story wasn't much better. That was the worst Mr. Terrific I've seen drawn.

        earth1redbee <no_reply@yahoogroup s.com> wrote: Mike got the ball rolling with:

        > Ok who here read it and LOVED Wildcat's son??? SO much good stuff
        in the issue!!

        I agree, and I was particularly pleased how the interaction between
        Ted and Tom played out. I was braced for a clichéd "I hate you for
        never being there" attitude from Tom, which seems to be the norm in
        DC Comics when some hero meets unknown offspring—about as bad a
        cliché as the hero having to battle some bitter relative-turned-
        supervillian.

        Shannon replied:

        > Actually i was more interested in the sandman panel where i assume
        they are talking about jade and huntress. Seems like they were
        looking at earth2 JSA or infinity inc.

        To me, that was the most interesting aspect of the issue by far!!

        And Allen wrote:

        > LOVED the talk Wildcat Sr. gave him about the name.

        Ted made sense, though I would've been fine if Tom had/gets a
        different name. Maybe Power Girl will decide to distinguish between
        the two by calling Ted "Wildcoot."

        However, the thrilling return of Rex Tyler a few years ago (one of
        my all-time favorite arcs) didn't bring Rex back as a regular
        character, so I'm wondering whether we'll gradually see less of
        Ted. Even though he's one of my least-favorite JSAers, Ted is one
        of the few remaining Golden-Agers, so I hope we'll see him no less
        frequently than we have in recent years.

        > LOVED that shot of everyone with a seat at the table -- including
        Ma Hunkel!

        Yeah, even though I may never adjust to the Ma-in-business- suit
        persona, those shots are always welcome (though Jakeem was no where
        to be seen, as I recall—I don't have the issue handy).

        > LOVED that there appears to be a new Mr. America in the works!

        I'm usually pleased when I see DC recycle the name of a Golden Age
        hero, though in the context of this monthly I still have fears about
        a bunch of non-JSA legacies taking attention away from Mr. Terrific,
        Hourman, SandMAN (at last!), Dr. Mid-Nite, etc. What I'm hoping DC
        will try some day is an All-Star Squadron mini-series with the likes
        of the new Mr. America, Commander Steel, Liberty Bell, and so on.

        > and LOVED, LOVED, LOVED!!! Wildcat's speech about heroic
        legacies!!!

        Hear, hear!

        > So, on the whole, I'd say it was an average issue. <g,d,rvvf>

        Well, a typical one, at any rate! : )

        The one development I can't stomach is Power Girl as chairperson.
        I'll admit that I hated her during her early years, but my attitude
        softened enough to be pleased when she rejoined the JSA a few years
        ago. Nevertheless, I just don't see her as leadership material.
        Sure, she's headstrong, but that isn't always a plus for a leader.
        For example, the way Guy Gardner was depicted when he was in the
        JLA, he would've been a horrible leader. Of course, these are works
        of fiction so any character can improve with experience; it's just
        that at present, just as it would've strained credulity had Batman,
        Black Canary and the Martian Manhunter proposed that Guy Gardner be
        made JLA leader, I didn't buy the reasoning attributed to Flash, GL
        and Hawkman for nominating Power Girl. Well, maybe I do buy that in
        the case of our longstanding chairman, because Hawkman hasn't seemed
        quite right in the head since he received his most recent monthly
        title (the one that's now Hawkgirl's). By the way, I'm not being
        sexist here—I proposed on this list some years ago that Black Canary
        be made co-chair with Mr. Terrific.

        Speaking of Black Canary, if we can't have her and Wonder Woman in
        the JSA, then I'd love to see other legacies of the originals in the
        JSA.

        Of course, that may be somewhat moot soon, depending on just what
        that cryptic panel about Sandman and Earth-2 may bring us…

        Rich B.

        ------------ --------- --------- ---
        always stay connected to friends.
        2a.

        Re: all star companion vol 2

        Posted by: "Mikel Norwitz" blaklion@...   mikelnorwitz

        Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:11 pm (PST)

        I finally bought this book ...

        On Sat Dec 9, 2006 "William P. Reaves" wrote:

        > I guess what I'm trying to say is that there isn't much
        > "there" there, especially considering the depth of study
        > found in Volume I.

        I agree, though on the other hand, the book could have been twice as long and there would still be material left to cover.

        > I hope he does the same on Volume III. Either way, I'll
        > buy it.

        I doubtless will just because I'm a fanatic, even though I was never interested in the Young All-Stars.

        > I would have loved to see recreations of the stories from
        > All-Star with additional material making the characters
        > more realistic, and telling additional side material.

        Roy did do a little bit of that ... but I'm not really into the 'recreations' thing, aside from select stories which really need to be rewritten (altering the JSA's wiping up the European front into a hallucinatory sequence, or Robinson's later illuminated- by-feminism retelling of the all-girl JSA tale).

        > Besides, I just don't care a lot about Liberty Belle,
        > Johnny Quick, Robot (BIG YAWN) Man, and most of the
        > others Roy focused on. They were minor characters for a
        > reason. The JSA should have been the focus, and the world
        > they lived in should have been the back-up feature, not
        > the other way around.

        Hah, actually, those three are the only ones in the cast whom I liked (although I thought Roy's writing never did justice to Liberty Belle). I thought Tarantula, Steel, and Firebrand II to be utterly tedious and would much rather have seen Gay Ghost, Minuteman, and the Witch (and, if DC owned the rights to the characters, Jim Anthony and WOnder Girl). OTOH I always liked it when JSA members were added to the cast.

        > I absolutely loved the 1970s JSA in All-Star. ISSUES 66-
        > 74 were HOT! Power Girl and the Huntress were my favorite
        > characters.

        I liked the Huntress immeasurably more than Power Girl, but then I'm primarily a leg man. ;)

        > I would enjoy seeing a JSA series set in the 1960s with
        > the line-up from Flash 137 and JLA 21-22, 37-38, etc.
        > I think it's the only time period that hasn't been
        > covered yet in a regular book.

        Yeah, presumably the JSA were active suring that time, but we only saw them once a year (aside from occasional crossovers from Alan and Jay). Heck, we have no idea what Red Tornado's career as a JSA member was like, and he was with the team for years.

        "She always had a terrific sense of humor" Mikel Midnight
        (Valerie Solonas, as described by her mother)
        blaklion@blaklion. best.vwh. net
        ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ ___http://blaklion. best.vwh. net

        Apprentice LA
        Play the Bix.com
        faceoff to see!
        Yahoo! Movies
        Check out new DVDs
        and read reviews.
        Yahoo! TV
        A new season of The
        Apprentice begins.
        Need to Reply?

        8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time