Re: new Mr America

  • earth1redbee
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 1, 2007
      Randy Meyer wrote:

      > Did you notice though that so far the heroes whose families
      > have been targetted were both All-Stars known for their
      > overseas work? Mr. America/Americommando and Commander Steel.
      > I wonder if that's a clue?

      That's an interesting thought which hadn't occurred to me despite
      the fact that Hawkman is battling some Nazi group! And
      Tex's "overseas work" could even be linked to his appearance with
      Mr. Terrific in that National Comics one-shot a few years back.

      And Kris <mavrck31@> wrote:

      > Also, the idea that a villain group is hunting the legacies
      > of the All Star Squadron and JSA really creeps me out. It's
      > a cool story concept, and I know I've never met the characters
      > they are killing, but I'm still uneasy with it.

      It reminds me a little of the pick 'em off one-by-one plan The
      Wizard and cronies were pursuing in Secret Society of Super-Villians
      #15, in 1978. That plan started with the JSA members who were the
      weakest, supposedly (I can't recall if Bob Rozakis forgot about The
      Atom's super strength, though it's possible The Wizard didn't know--
      did Al have his atomic punch in All-Star #41?), and the current plan
      may have avoided JSA legacies at the start in order to delay
      engaging the entire team. Thank goodness Hawkman is on the ball!

      Rich B.
    • brekbannin@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 1, 2007
        I remember that Secret Society storyline well. At the time it came out, I
        thought they defeated the Atom way too easy but I was just happy to
        see someone using the character.  I don't think the Atom was the weakest
        link by any means, but he seemed to be the one who the least respect
        and notice from the creators. Ironically the Atom just got his DCD action
        figure this month, and the only two golden age members still needing
        action figures are Mr Terrific and Johnny Thunder - the next two members
        on Bob Rozakis's SSoSV hit list. I don't know how many of you have seen
        the SSoSV stories from the Cancelled Comics Cavalcade, but Bob's
        take on Mr Terrific was really bad. He was portrayed and drawn as a thin,
        frail old man not with it and practically on his death bed who got taken down
        by the SSoSV while trying to protect some kids in the area. Since this story was from
        around 1977-78, Terry should have been in his 60's or 70's age wise
        (was he at the Ian Karkill event in the ASSq annual?), and as a guy who
        was in peak athlete condition during WWII should have been portrayed
        like say Bob Parlance in his 70's doing push-ups at the Oscars.

        > Also, the idea that a villain group is hunting the legacies > of the All Star Squadron and JSA really creeps me out. It's > a cool story concept, and I know I've never met the characters > they are killing, but I'm still uneasy with it.
        It reminds me a little of the pick 'em off one-by-one plan The Wizard and cronies were pursuing in Secret Society of Super-Villians #15, in 1978. That plan started with the JSA members who were the weakest, supposedly (I can't recall if Bob Rozakis forgot about The Atom's super strength, though it's possible The Wizard didn't know-- did Al have his atomic punch in All-Star #41?), and the current plan may have avoided JSA legacies at the start in order to delay engaging the entire team. Thank goodness Hawkman is on the ball! Rich B. Yahoo! Groups Links <*> To visit your group on the web, go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/thejusticesociety/ <*> Your email settings: Individual Email | Traditional <*> To change settings online go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/thejusticesociety/join (Yahoo! ID required) <*> To change settings via email: mailto:thejusticesociety-digest@yahoogroups.com mailto:thejusticesociety-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: thejusticesociety-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to: http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Randy Meyer
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 2, 2007
          No, Mr. Terrific was NOT at the event with Ian Karkull in All-Star
          Squadron Annual #3. So, I guess the frail old man shtick would be
          possible for him. Although I do agree with you that he probably
          would not have allowed himself to get that way. And the actor's name
          you are thinking of is JACK PALANCE.

          --- In thejusticesociety@yahoogroups.com, brekbannin@... wrote:

          > I remember that Secret Society storyline well. At the time it came
          out, I
          > thought they defeated the Atom way too easy but I was just happy to
          > see someone using the character. I don't think the Atom was the
          weakest
          > link by any means, but he seemed to be the one who the least
          respect
          > and notice from the creators. Ironically the Atom just got his DCD
          action
          > figure this month, and the only two golden age members still
          needing
          > action figures are Mr Terrific and Johnny Thunder - the next two
          members
          > on Bob Rozakis's SSoSV hit list. I don't know how many of you have
          seen
          > the SSoSV stories from the Cancelled Comics Cavalcade, but Bob's
          > take on Mr Terrific was really bad. He was portrayed and drawn as
          a thin,
          > frail old man not with it and practically on his death bed who got
          taken down
          > by the SSoSV while trying to protect some kids in the area. Since
          this story was from
          > around 1977-78, Terry should have been in his 60's or 70's age wise
          > (was he at the Ian Karkill event in the ASSq annual?), and as a
          guy who
          > was in peak athlete condition during WWII should have been
          portrayed
          > like say Bob Parlance in his 70's doing push-ups at the Oscars.

          __
          across the web, free AOL Mail and more.

        • leoni2@juno.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 2, 2007
            Considering the date (1977-78) and having seen Mr. Terrific's origin
            story in Sensation Comic #1, I think he was born around 1924-26
            (remember, he was a young prodigy when he was planning to commit
            suicide and since I believe his origins was set in late 1941, Terry
            would've been in his late teens when he started being a mystery man.)
            SO, if my dating is correct, he would've been in his 50s when the
            SSoSV storyline was taking place, so, the old man stick would not have
            worked for him. Now, if he was still alive, yes it would, but, back in
            the 70s, no way.

            Stanley

            Interested in getting caught up on today's news?
            Click here to checkout USA TODAY Headlines.
            http://track.juno.com/s/lc?s=198954&u=http://www.usatoday.com/news/front.htm?csp=24
          • Randy Meyer
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 2, 2007
              Your theory makes more sense. Cool.

              --- In thejusticesociety@yahoogroups.com, "leoni2@..." <leoni2@...>
              wrote:

              > Considering the date (1977-78) and having seen Mr. Terrific's
              origin
              > story in Sensation Comic #1, I think he was born around 1924-26
              > (remember, he was a young prodigy when he was planning to commit
              > suicide and since I believe his origins was set in late 1941, Terry
              > would've been in his late teens when he started being a mystery
              man.)
              > SO, if my dating is correct, he would've been in his 50s when the
              > SSoSV storyline was taking place, so, the old man stick would not
              have
              > worked for him. Now, if he was still alive, yes it would, but, back
              in
              > the 70s, no way.
              >
              > Stanley

              __

              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 2, 2007
                > Your theory makes more sense.
                Cool.

                Thanks you. It's help having
                seen his orgin story, and I
                was just lucky enough to get
                that big size anniversary
                issue of Sensation Comics #1
                back in the 70s.

                Stanley

                Interested in getting caught up on today's news?
                Click here to checkout USA TODAY Headlines.
                http://track.juno.com/s/lc?s=198954&u=http://www.usatoday.com/news/front.htm?csp=24
              • jasonk045
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 20, 2007
                  I`m not sure about the story where it`s going but it should be a fun
                  ride. I used to read all-star squadron when I was younger. There`s def
                  untapped potential in a slew of character`s history.--- In