Re: [The Justice Society] Brave & the Bold - DC Comics Presents

  • Richard J.
    Message 1 of 14 , May 1, 2006
      Yea, I saw all of that as I looked over Brave and the Bold's run, but
      I don't know what 'that' you are referring to. It was obvious that
      the book went from a Showcase format and gradually turned into a
      Batman teamup book by approximately issue fifty.

      --- In thejusticesociety@yahoogroups.com, "leoni2@..." <leoni2@...>
      wrote:

      > Ahem, there is a reason for that.
      >
      > Brave & Bold, after being used as
      > a try out title like Showcase, was
      > turned into a team-up issue, with,
      > among others, team-ups between the
      > Earth-1 Green Arrow and the Martian
      > Manhunter, Hourman and Dr. Fate and
      > a two parter with Black Canary and
      > Starman, was in the late 60s turned
      > into a Batman team-up comic.
      >
      > With DC Comics Present, it was always
      > intended to be a Superman team-up
      > comic, so, that was that with that
      > comic.
      >
      > Stanley

      __
      > Try Juno Platinum for Free! Then, only $9.95/month!
      > Unlimited Internet Access with 1GB of Email Storage.
      > Visit http://www.juno.com/value to sign up today!

    • Richard J.
      Message 2 of 14 , May 1, 2006
        In the end, they are all comic book characters, and the writers money
        is made from books being bought.

        Whether it was Superman meeting up with I, Vampire or House of
        Mystery or Masters of the Universe or Amethyst, there could just as
        easily been a meeting Obsidian or Fury.

        I'm sure some way could have been thought out for Batman to meet
        these characters of Earth II in World War II or even a member or two
        of Infinity Inc.

        Batman did team up with the Huntress in an issue of BB, and Superman
        met Power Girl in DCCP.

        wrote:

        > > Also interesting is that there
        > was no solo appearance of an All
        > Star Squadron member, like
        > Firebrand, Liberty Belle or Johnny
        > Quick.
        >
        > I think there's a very simple reason.
        > It wouldn't work, unless DC wanted
        > to have the stories set in World War
        > II on Earth-2, and it would have to
        > be the Earth-2 version of either Bats
        > o Supes, as those were all World War
        > II characters and the Batman in B&B
        > and Superman in DC Comics Presents
        > were the Earth-1 version. Not saying
        > such a story wouldn't be interesting,
        > it would need Roy Thomas' input into
        > it, since he would probably figure
        > out where in the continuity (except
        > for Firebrand since she was a new
        > character) of the characters the
        > stories would fit, if it was done.
        >
        > Stanley

        __

        Message 3 of 14 , May 1, 2006
          Obviously the team ups would be Earth 1 Batman with Earth 2 Hourman
          or Dr. Midnite.

          Did all meetings with these characters have to be in JLA-JSA team
          ups?

          Basically they would just be solo encounters from the group team ups.

          wrote:

          > > Missed opportunities to me definitely
          > would have to be the WWII set; no meeting
          > with Hourman, Dr. Midnite, Sandman, Starman,
          > even Star Spangled Kid.
          >
          > Not really. Remember, the characters in
          > Brave and Bold and DC Comics Presents
          > were the Earth-1 version of Bats and
          > Supes. Any story that would involved any
          > of the above mentioned characters would
          > have to involved the Earth-2 versions of
          > the characters for it to really work. Any
          > story involving the modern version of the
          > characters would be a bit difficult since
          > it would have to give a very good reason
          > for why either the above mentioned
          > characters would need the help of the modern
          > characters, and not the golden age versions,
          > or vice versa. While not saying it isn't
          > impossible, as I recall the Superman-Power
          > Girl team-up in DC Comics Presents and I
          > think there was a Batman-Huntress team-up
          > in B & B, it would have to be believeable.
          > Else we have the problems like the Haney's
          > Batman-Sgt. Rock post war team ups in B & B.
          >
          > Stanley

          __

        • KLub615@aol.com
          Message 4 of 14 , May 1, 2006
            I really think that B&B during the summer months should've focused on Earth 2 team ups to give the JSA members greater exposure. Outside of the annual team ups, only the E2 Flash and GL had the greatest exposure. The E2 Wonder Woman had exposure, but those stories were set in the 1940's to coincide with the TV program.

            There is a trade out called Crisis on Multiple Earths -- The Team Ups featuring 4 Flash x-overs, a GL x-over, the Starman -Black Canary team ups, and the Hourman-Dr Fate team ups. This volume also re-introduces many Villains from the original All Star also.

            Also due out soon is COME Vol 4, which features the Earth-S (Shazam/Fawcett) appearance, as well as the Legion appearance. Later this summer, the 1970s run of All Star (58-67) and DC Special 29 will be archived into a trade (not a Archive Edition or b/w Showcase format). This Vol 1 leaves off right before the battle with Psycho Pirate (who manipulated a recently widowed Bruce Wayne) and the eventual debut of the Huntress. The early adventures of the E2 Superman and Batman are also out in TP, as will Power Girl this June. There is a lot out there for us die hard JSA and Earth 2 fans coming out.

            Could this mean that All Star Squadron and Infinity Inc are in the process of archives? I see A*S going to the showcase format.

          • immortalwildcat
            Message 5 of 14 , May 1, 2006
              --- In thejusticesociety@yahoogroups.com, "Richard J."
              <lightoller_ch@...> wrote:

              > Yea, I saw all of that as I looked over Brave and the Bold's run, but
              > I don't know what 'that' you are referring to. It was obvious that
              > the book went from a Showcase format and gradually turned into a
              > Batman teamup book by approximately issue fifty.

              There's a simple reason for that - money. The issues with Batman sold
              more than any of the others, so the powers that be (were) decided to
              give the people what they wanted - all Batman team-ups, all the time.
              It worked for many years, even if the quality of the stories wasn't
              always the best.

              DC did try another team-up book in the 1970's, called Super-Team
              Family. (attempting to cash in on the popularity of the Superman
              Family and Batman Family books) It was a super-sized book, originally
              with 1 new story and a few reprints featuring team-ups of different
              heros. It switched over to all reprints for a while. Among the
              team-ups I remember, there was a Wildcat/Creeper story, a
              Flash/Hawkman story, and a multipart story that brought together (if
              memory serves me) Atom, Flash, Supergirl, and maybe a couple of others.

              Unfortunately, it never had the sales numbers of Brave & Bold, and
              didn't stick around long.

              da 'Cat!
            • leoni2@juno.com
              Message 6 of 14 , May 1, 2006
                > I really think that B&B
                during the summer months
                should've focused on Earth
                2 team ups to give the JSA
                members greater exposure.
                Outside of the annual team
                ups, only the E2 Flash and
                GL had the greatest exposure.
                The E2 Wonder Woman had
                exposure, but those stories
                were set in the 1940's to
                coincide with the TV program.

                While it might have been
                nice, DC's focus in the
                1970s and early 1980s was
                on Earth-1. And since the
                main-team ups for the
                summer was in the Justice
                League issues of that
                period it would have to be
                a very good idea (i.e.
                something that the book's
                editor would've liked) for
                the JSA or just Earth-2
                related characters to have
                gotten exposure before the
                appearance of first All-Star
                Squadron and Infinity, Inc.
                Obviously, Roy Thomas' idea
                of retconning the old 1940s
                stories and the children
                of the JSA members forming
                their own group obviously
                hit at the right time. :)

                Stanley

              • leoni2@juno.com
                Message 7 of 14 , May 1, 2006
                  > Later this summer, the 1970s run
                  of All Star (58-67) and DC Special
                  29 will be archived into a trade
                  (not a Archive Edition or b/w
                  Showcase format).

                  Blink, blink. It is? Well that some
                  real happy news to me. :)

                  Stanley

                • leoni2@juno.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 1, 2006
                    > Yea, I saw all of that as
                    I looked over Brave and the
                    Bold's run, but I don't know
                    what 'that' you are referring
                    to. It was obvious that the
                    book went from a Showcase
                    format and gradually turned
                    into a Batman teamup book by
                    approximately issue fifty.

                    Well, David gave you the answer
                    earlier, and I agree 100%. The
                    Batman team-ups were popular
                    enough to have the book turned
                    into a Batman and... team-up
                    publication.

                    Stanley

                  • leoni2@juno.com
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 1, 2006
                      > In the end, they are all comic
                      book characters, and the writers
                      money is made from books being
                      bought.

                      Hee hee hee. Just said the magic
                      word, money. And the writers also
                      work for DC and if the company
                      says no to their idea, then they
                      can't do them. There is another
                      factor, popularity. We know that
                      the JSA characters are very
                      popular, now, but I ponder how
                      popular they were before Roy
                      Thomas' All-Star Squadron started
                      publication? Food for thought,
                      isn't it?

                      > Whether it was Superman meeting
                      up with I, Vampire or House of
                      Mystery or Masters of the Universe
                      or Amethyst, there could just as
                      easily been a meeting Obsidian or
                      Fury.

                      As David had already mentioned, the
                      team-ups with MOTU and Amethyst were
                      done to help promote their series,
                      and if you think about it, the same
                      goes for the team-ups with I, Vampire
                      and HOM. Now, with a team-up with
                      Fury and Obsidian, never said they
                      shouldn't, just that there have to be
                      a good idea to have either Bats of
                      Supes team-up with either of them.
                      Obviously the writers never came up
                      with such an idea.

                      > I'm sure some way could have been
                      thought out for Batman to meet these
                      characters of Earth II in World War
                      II or even a member or two of
                      Infinity Inc.

                      Let's see: Golden Age Batman, Fury
                      or Obsidian would have to avoid
                      trying to tell Bats and Robin what
                      is going to happen in the future.
                      Interesting premise, just need to
                      be worked on. The Golden Age Batman
                      in the modern day (Before his death),
                      he was retired, so he would be
                      trying to give them his advice, but
                      with the incident of him being
                      manipulated by the Psycho Pirate
                      (II) they might not trust his advice
                      fully. Another interesting premise.
                      Now, just because I came up with
                      these doesn't mean that the writers
                      back in the late 70s-early 80s
                      would've come up with them.

                      > Batman did team up with the Huntress
                      in an issue of BB, and Superman met
                      Power Girl in DCCP.

                      David confirmed that, and I'd mentioned
                      the Superman-Power Girl team-up in an
                      earlier post.

                      Stanley

                    • leoni2@juno.com
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 1, 2006
                        > Obviously the team ups would
                        be Earth 1 Batman with Earth 2
                        Hourman or Dr. Midnite.

                        Which I'm guessing would be in
                        the present day.

                        > Did all meetings with these
                        characters have to be in JLA-
                        JSA team ups?

                        The way that DC were doing things
                        back then, it would seem so most
                        of the time.

                        > Basically they would just be
                        solo encounters from the group
                        team ups.

                        I would think the writer would
                        need to have a good idea to have
                        the 'present' day or Earth-1
                        Batman meeting up with the
                        Earth-2 characters. Not saying
                        that one couldn't be thought up,
                        but it would have to be a good
                        one for one character from one
                        earth to ask for the assistant
                        of another. You know, something
                        that won't stretch, never mind
                        break, the fan's Suspencion (sp?)
                        of disbelief.

                        Stanley

                      • Richard J.
                        Message 11 of 14 , May 1, 2006
                          I had an issue of Super Team Family, with the Wildcat-Creeper story,
                          and the other story was Batman and Deadman, no doubt a reprint from
                          Brave and Bold.

                          And the Batman-Deadman story was actually quite good. I think it was
                          most fascinating in that no one, including Batman, could see Deadman.

                          --- In thejusticesociety@yahoogroups.com, immortalwildcat