Re: [thejournal-users] Informal Survey of Journal Volume Size

  • roos1111
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 19, 2011
      My Journal Volume is about 256 mb, but I would still like to add
      some small size photos to my Journal, along with their stories. I love
      working with the program!

      Francisca, in the Netherlands

      On Sat, 18
      Jun 2011 15:29:49 -0500, David Michael wrote:

      > I'm curious how large
      Journal Volumes have become for long-time users.

      > Myself, with 18
      years of entries, my Journal Volume folder is about
      > 650MB. My backup
      file is just over 600MB.

      > In the database world, 650MB isn't a
      large. Within the smaller universe
      > of The Journal, though, I'm
      curious.

      > Anyone else have a Journal Volume or backup file that
      exceeds 500MB?
      > 1GB? Multiple GB's?
      >
      > Thanks!
      >
      > -David

      Links:
      ------
      [1]
      mailto:davidrm@...?subject=Re%3A%20Informal%20Survey%20of%20Journal%20Volume%20Size
      [2]
      mailto:thejournal-users@yahoogroups.com?subject=Re%3A%20Informal%20Survey%20of%20Journal%20Volume%20Size
      [3]
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/thejournal-users/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJwOG1qanQzBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzIyNjQ4NjQEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MjA4Njg1BG1zZ0lkAzk5MzgEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDcnBseQRzdGltZQMxMzA4NDI4OTcx?act=reply|+|amp|+|messageNum=9938
      [4]
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/thejournal-users/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJlZzBjZzAzBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzIyNjQ4NjQEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MjA4Njg1BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA250cGMEc3RpbWUDMTMwODQyODk3MQ--
      [5]
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/thejournal-users/message/9938;_ylc=X3oDMTM0ajE3MG9kBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzIyNjQ4NjQEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MjA4Njg1BG1zZ0lkAzk5MzgEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDdnRwYwRzdGltZQMxMzA4NDI4OTcxBHRwY0lkAzk5Mzg-
      [6]
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/thejournal-users/members;_ylc=X3oDMTJmb2VjNnZuBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzIyNjQ4NjQEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MjA4Njg1BHNlYwN2dGwEc2xrA3ZtYnJzBHN0aW1lAzEzMDg0Mjg5NzE-?o=6
      [7]
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/thejournal-users;_ylc=X3oDMTJlYWtuZ3ZvBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzIyNjQ4NjQEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MjA4Njg1BHNlYwN2dGwEc2xrA3ZnaHAEc3RpbWUDMTMwODQyODk3MQ--
      [8]
      http://global.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=15osm1be4/M=493064.14543977.14365476.10835568/D=groups/S=1705208685:MKP1/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1308436171/L=abfbc1c2-99e9-11e0-bcf2-1b75e9c950ca/B=MSTNAtj8fXU-/J=1308428971329536/K=Ks9wXM8Hmc.ub10AK9bXGQ/A=6260316/R=0/SIG=11bc8n8gt/*http://custom.yahoo.com/fibromyalgiazone/
      [9]
      http://global.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=15o090vb1/M=493064.14543979.14365478.13298430/D=groups/S=1705208685:MKP1/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1308436171/L=abfbc1c2-99e9-11e0-bcf2-1b75e9c950ca/B=MCTNAtj8fXU-/J=1308428971329536/K=Ks9wXM8Hmc.ub10AK9bXGQ/A=6060255/R=0/SIG=1194m4keh/*http://us.toolbar.yahoo.com/?.cpdl=grpj
      [10]
      http://groups.yahoo.com/;_ylc=X3oDMTJkaTNicTFrBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzIyNjQ4NjQEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MjA4Njg1BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA2dmcARzdGltZQMxMzA4NDI4OTcx
      [11]
      mailto:thejournal-users-traditional@yahoogroups.com?subject=ChangeDeliveryFormat:Traditional
      [12]
      mailto:thejournal-users-digest@yahoogroups.com?subject=EmailDelivery:Digest
      [13]
      mailto:thejournal-users-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe
      [14]
      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • trena_dansant
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 27, 2012
        As my Journal volume folder has just hit 508 mb I thought I'd post a
        late reply to this thread.

        I've been a user since only 2007, but do paste images into many of my
        entries, which might account for the large size. So far no problems
        handling it - a slight delay when opening the program, that's all. No
        stability issues.

        I lurve The Journal. It's the most satisfying piece of software I've
        ever bought. I use Calendar categories for normal journaling, dream
        logging, Morning Pages (sceptical of the value of this but am giving it
        a whirl), events in the lives of my ancestors, archiving news stories
        (including historical events to provide background for genealogical
        research), and storing old emails.

        In the Loose-leaf categories I have a tab for recording short
        illuminating quotes, another for a kind of library where I collect
        longer extracts and notes from my reading (this has sub-tabs for each
        subject) a tab for home/family with a sub-tab for recipes (a bit
        undernourished this tab, as I am no domestic goddess), and a tab for
        writing (sub-tabs: works-in-progress, exercises, correspondence,
        reference, successes...).

        The Templates feature is a godsend. Those days when I'm rebelling
        against routine and all a-dither, with things that should be done
        (usually relating to home or paid work) facing off against things that
        want to be done (usually relating to genealogy or writing) I call up my
        'Decision Maker' template which randomly chooses one of the many tasks
        that could or need to be accomplished. And off I go, like an initiate
        from the abode of a no-nonsense, non-cryptic oracle.

        If I could add one thing to the program it would be to extend the "Go to
        Random Entry" function from Calendar categories to Loose-Leaf
        categories. I use this a lot among my Calendar categories - randomness
        is such a spur to creativity - and it would be great to be able to do
        the same among Loose-Leaf entries. Apart from that, I think The Journal
        is from Software Heaven.

        There's that line in 'The Devil's Advocate', where Milton/Satan says
        that love is "biochemically no different than eating large quantities of
        chocolate."

        The Journal is better than chocolate :)

        --- In thejournal-users@yahoogroups.com, David Michael <davidrm@...>
        wrote:

        > I'm curious how large Journal Volumes have become for long-time users.
        >
        > Myself, with 18 years of entries, my Journal Volume folder is about
        > 650MB. My backup file is just over 600MB.
        >
        > In the database world, 650MB isn't a large. Within the smaller
        universe
        > of The Journal, though, I'm curious.
        >
        > Anyone else have a Journal Volume or backup file that exceeds 500MB?
        > 1GB? Multiple GB's?
        >
        > Thanks!

      • brad5628
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 27, 2012
          I missed this thread originally, and just noticed it. My journal database is just over 1GB. It would be a couple hundred MB larger but over the years I've bounced back and forth between linking to audio entries and embedding them into the entry. I often have an audio entry I make while on the road or whatever that I drop/link into my daily entry. I also have several categories and save all kinds of stuff in the Jouranl. I've got so much of myself in The Journal, that it feels like I'm with an old friend when I open it up. It's the most used piece of sofwtare I have installed.

          --- In thejournal-users@yahoogroups.com, David Michael <davidrm@...> wrote:

          > I'm curious how large Journal Volumes have become for long-time users.
          >
          > Myself, with 18 years of entries, my Journal Volume folder is about
          > 650MB. My backup file is just over 600MB.
          >
          > In the database world, 650MB isn't a large. Within the smaller universe
          > of The Journal, though, I'm curious.
          >
          > Anyone else have a Journal Volume or backup file that exceeds 500MB?
          > 1GB? Multiple GB's?
          >
          > Thanks!
          >
          > -David

        • bevanrj
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 27, 2012
            My goodness me, I missed your post also, David. I apologise, because I have no excuse. Maybe I need a minder.

            My Journal volume size is currently 2.6 Gb. I have 16 categories (including a daily diary), containing many images, e.g. bills, bank statements, family records, PDF images, etc. The data covers 17 years from 1995 to the present. The journal loads the data quite quickly, has never let me down and is one of the most stable applications that I run.

            With thanks,
            Bevan
          • Dan Hawse
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 28, 2012
              That's pretty impressive that 2.6 hasn't slowed it down.

              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 28, 2012
                I've noticed that the only times I see slow down on my 1GB database is accessing specific entries I have embedded large audio files or other big media in, or entries I have dropped in several photos. As far as loading, seems to load my 1GB volume as fast as it does a new empty one. However, sometimes accessing those entries with media embedded...I've seen it take over a minute to load them. I just link videos and big stuff now due to that.