Re: Feature Requests:: Browse Multiple Entries at a Glance & Time Capsule

  • unsite
    Message 1 of 6 , May 1, 2011
      Thank you, David. This definitely helps. Ideally, this would be a View
      option that one could set as "permanent."

      Also, it would be nice if just the entries were visible i.e. no calendar
      above the entries to take up valuable space, since there's a small
      calendar to the left.

      --- In thejournal-users@yahoogroups.com, David Michael <davidrm@...>
      wrote:

      > There is a way to do something like you describe.
      >
      > In the entry tree, click on the name of the month. On the monthly
      > calendar you can select a day or several days and see them in summary
      > below the calendar. It's not quite as easy as you're wanting, but
      maybe
      > it's useful in the meantime.
      >
      > Thank you for the feedback and suggestions!
      >
      > -David
      >
      > On 4/30/2011 6:31 AM, unsite wrote:
      > > David,
      > >
      > > I'd like to see an option for easily browsing past entries at a
      glance.
      > > That is, I don't want to have to click on various dates to do this.
      Or
      > > enter search keywords. I just want to be able to quickly SCAN
      previous
      > > entries for items of interest and relevance. I want it to be more
      like a
      > > "week-at-a-glance" day-minder journal or the new Day One
      > > <http://www.cjchilvers.com/journal/day-one.html> app. (BTW, I
      don't use
      > > an iPhone, thus the app is useless to me.)
      > >
      > > Why a no-effort browsing option? Because a big part of journaling
      isn't
      > > just writing, it's also about reviewing and that's where The Journal
      > > interface could definitely improve. I don't want to have to dig,
      which
      > > is a distraction. Even a tooltip-type display where one mouses over
      > > date in the Calendar and the contents of an entry appear would help.
      But
      > > ideally, I'd like a view that displays a number of entries at once.
      > > Something more like... a book.
      > >
      > > Further to this idea of review, a feature such as "A Year/Month/Week
      Ago
      > > Today" that would pop up a previous entry each day would be a
      worthwhile
      > > addition. Call it, "The Time Capsule" ;-)

    • unsite
      Message 2 of 6 , May 1, 2011
        Also, please allow the middle mouse button to scroll those same entries
        in the main window. Currently on the portable version, I must select the
        slider on the right and drag it. In other applications this is possible
        so I assume it's a Journal issue.

        Thanks.

        ---------

        Message 3 of 6 , May 2, 2011
          You can resize the calendar. Click and drag on the lower edge and you
          make the entry view area bigger (and shrink the calendar).

          -David

          Message 4 of 6 , May 2, 2011
            If you click on the entry viewer, you can then use the mouse wheel. The
            Journal's entry viewer/editor doesn't respond to the mouse wheel unless
            it has "focus".

            -David