nested notebook entries

  • ravijankar
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 2, 2002
      I have a notebook style category with three levels in the tree. In
      the tree view, it looks something like this:

      level 1 entry
      level 2 entry
      level 2 entry
      level 2 entry
      level 3 entry
      level 3 entry
      level 2 entry
      level 3 entry

      I am unable to save anything in the level 1 entry. When I select the
      top level entry, the editor window does not change. I type some
      notes, and click save, and the notes are saved in the entry I was in
      before.

      If I move from a level 2 entry with notes in it to the top level
      (level 1), the text in the editor window does not change. That tells
      me that I haven't actually moved to the top level, even though the
      tree window tells me I have. However, when the level 2 entry is
      empty, it's confusing. I type some notes, and they're not where the
      tree window is telling me they are.

      So, is this by design, or is it a problem? Ideally, I would like to
      keep notes in every position in the tree window.

      Thanks,
      John Carr
    • ravijankar
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 2, 2002
        My browser doesn't show the indentation I added to make the nesting
        clear. Maybe this will help.

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 2, 2002
          The "top entry" you're referring to isn't actually an entry. Which is why
          clicking on it does not change your current entry. It's the category
          itself, sort of. The primary purpose for being in the tree is to provide an
          easy way to "drag" entries to the top level.

          So, this is what your entry diagram really is:

          category
          level 1 entry
          level 1 entry
          level 1 entry
          level 2 entry
          level 2 entry
          level 1 entry
          level 2 entry

          I hope that explains what's going on.

          -David

          On 4/2/2002 at 4:39 PM ravijankar wrote:

          >I have a notebook style category with three levels in the tree. In
          >the tree view, it looks something like this:
          >
          >level 1 entry
          > level 2 entry
          > level 2 entry
          > level 2 entry
          > level 3 entry
          > level 3 entry
          > level 2 entry
          > level 3 entry
          >
          >I am unable to save anything in the level 1 entry. When I select the
          >top level entry, the editor window does not change. I type some
          >notes, and click save, and the notes are saved in the entry I was in
          >before.
          >
          >If I move from a level 2 entry with notes in it to the top level
          >(level 1), the text in the editor window does not change. That tells
          >me that I haven't actually moved to the top level, even though the
          >tree window tells me I have. However, when the level 2 entry is
          >empty, it's confusing. I type some notes, and they're not where the
          >tree window is telling me they are.
          >
          >So, is this by design, or is it a problem? Ideally, I would like to
          >keep notes in every position in the tree window.
          >
          >Thanks,
          >John Carr

          "If we keep our pride/Though Paradise is lost
          We will pay the price/But we will not count the cost"
          ---Rush
        • ravijankar
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 2, 2002
            I see that now. I also see that the icon in the tree window is
            different than the rest of the entries, which is a good indication.
            The confusion comes being able to select the top item (category), but
            not actually being able to edit anything there.

            Thanks for the response.

            John Carr
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 2, 2002
              This isn't the first time this question has come up, so I should probably
              figure out some way to make it more clear.

              If you need anything else, let me know.

              -David

              On 4/2/2002 at 6:04 PM ravijankar wrote:

              >I see that now. I also see that the icon in the tree window is
              >different than the rest of the entries, which is a good indication.
              >The confusion comes being able to select the top item (category), but
              >not actually being able to edit anything there.
              >
              >Thanks for the response.
              >
              >John Carr

              "If we keep our pride/Though Paradise is lost
              We will pay the price/But we will not count the cost"
              ---Rush
            • Tom Plunket
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 2, 2002
                David Michael wrote:

                > This isn't the first time this question has come up, so I should
                > probably figure out some way to make it more clear.

                Perhaps it would be as easy as "emptying" the entry window when
                the root level was selected? You know- make the richedit window
                go away... This would at least make it obvious that this is not
                an entry in which you can type. Perhaps working with that would
                be that when that "meta-entry" is selected, the "create new entry
                under this one" would do "the right thing." ??? :)

                -tom!