Re: [thejournal-users] Upgrading issue

  • Craig Gordon
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 1, 2009
      This fault tolerant wont cause me to loose any data, will it?  In version 4 rvery other time I do a backup, I run the repair utiltiy. Doesnt that help the stability of the backup?

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 1, 2009
        The repair utility corrects the database itself. It's possible to have
        corrupted entries (usually caused by crashes and improper shutdowns).
        The repair can't fix those.

        If you're up to an experiment: In The Journal 4, do a "Search
        Entries..." Search for something like your name. Check the options to
        search all categories. See if the search runs into an error. If so, it
        probably ran into a corrupted entry.

        It's not as bleak as it sounds, though.

        And you can do a quick review of your entires in The Journal 5 to make
        sure you have everything.

        -David

        Craig Gordon wrote:
        > This fault tolerant wont cause me to loose any data, will it? In version 4 rvery other time I do a backup, I run the repair utiltiy. Doesnt that help the stability of the backup?
        >

        > ________________________________

      • jim.mcgowan
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 1, 2009
          David and all:

          I thought I would mention problems I had with upgrading to the first full release of TJ5.

          First of all, as you know David I also had been using the beta versions of TJ5. When I installed the initial release my registration codes were not "sticking". Drove me nuts! (Nutser??) Even after sending me replacement keys they would not stick. So I did what any red-blooded Windows fool would do: I checked my registry. What a surprise I received - all keys referred to either my TJ4 installation or the TJ5 Beta installation. None at all pointed to my actual TJ5 installation.

          The Journal files were scattered all over my computer. There were three separate Program Files folders under DavidRM Software:
          The Journal 4
          The Journal 5
          The Journal 5 Beta Test

          As for user files, they were scattered as follows:
          C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\TJ5BetaTest
          C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Application Data\The Journal
          C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Application Data\The Journal 5
          C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Local Settings\Application Data\The Journal
          C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Local Settings\Application Data\The Journal 5

          And my Journal Volumes were spread among:
          D:\My Documents\Journal Volumes\My Journal
          D:\My Documents\Journal Volumes\TJ5BetaTest
          D:\My Documents\Journal Volumes\5

          Now I would have thought that the Journal 4 stuff would have stayed as is, but I expected the TJ5 Beta stuff to be overwritten by the TJ5 official release. Didn't happen that way though, apparently.

          Most surprising is the fact that the official TJ5 release did not write any data at all to the registry, instead leaving all the existing keys in place.

          Anyway I uninstalled ALL versions, manually cleaned out (deleted) all leftover files and folders, and registry entries. Then I reinstalled TJ5 and now all is well, or seems to be.

          Of course before I did any of that I made copies of all the files and folders I referenced above, just to be safe.

          So currently TJ5 is running fine on my computer (XP Pro, SP2). But I wanted to show other users what might be hampering their TJ5 installation if they have previous version(s) of TJ installed.

          Jim

          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 1, 2009
            Thanks for the details.

            -David

            PS Shhhh! You'll scare off future testers... ;-)

            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 1, 2009
              Running a search worked succsesfully.  No Issues.  Is there other ways to insure there is no coruption that I can preform regurlarly?

              Is this something that can be automated each time a backup is preformed to do a database validation.  This way if a user backs up reguralarly they can easily identify an issue and restore a previous version in another volume to recover the lost data.

              Thanks for the quick respose as always.!!

              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 2, 2009
                Nah. It may just be my system. But in case someone else was scratching their head over similar issues I thought I would show where some of the trouble might be located.