New user questions

  • Tony Owens
    Message 1 of 26 , Jan 3, 2001
      Hello Journal Users,

      I've recently downloaded The Journal to evaluate (haven't
      actually registered it yet, but probably will - seems to be the
      nicest journal s/w I've found so far). There are two features
      which I haven't gotten to work so far:

      1) Auto Replace - none of these seem to work, but I've tried
      everything I can think of. 2) URL links are hightlighted as
      expected, but the links don't actually work. i.e. if I click or
      CTRL-left click, it doesn't open a browser and link to the site.

      I'm using MS Windows 2000 Professional and thought maybe it was
      related to this. Has anybody had similar problems?

      Regards,

      Tony
      towens@...
    • Bonnie
      Message 2 of 26 , Jan 4, 2001
        Hi Tony,

        Welcome to the group! The auto replace feature works fine on my
        journal, but I have noticed that you have to be sure your cursor is
        placed somewhere before the word you are replacing and not after. I
        have the same trouble as you describe with urls. They are
        highlighted when entered but I can not click on them to open the site.

        Bonnie

        --- In thejournal-users@egroups.com, Tony Owens <towens@c...> wrote:
        > Hello Journal Users,
        >
        > I've recently downloaded The Journal to evaluate (haven't
        > actually registered it yet, but probably will - seems to be the
        > nicest journal s/w I've found so far). There are two features
        > which I haven't gotten to work so far:
        >
        > 1) Auto Replace - none of these seem to work, but I've tried
        > everything I can think of. 2) URL links are hightlighted as
        > expected, but the links don't actually work. i.e. if I click or
        > CTRL-left click, it doesn't open a browser and link to the site.
        >
        > I'm using MS Windows 2000 Professional and thought maybe it was
        > related to this. Has anybody had similar problems?
        >

        > Regards,
        >

        > Tony
        > towens@c...
      • Tony Owens
        Message 3 of 26 , Jan 4, 2001
          Hello Bonnie,

          Thursday, January 04, 2001, 3:43:36 PM, You wrote:

          B> Welcome to the group! The auto replace feature works fine on my
          B> journal, but I have noticed that you have to be sure your cursor is
          B> placed somewhere before the word you are replacing and not after.

          Thanks very much for the welcome and the email reply.
          Apparently, I've misunderstood the auto replace feature because
          I don't understand your reply. I thought it would work the same
          as it does in, for instance, MSWord: if I type 1/2, the program
          automatically replaces this text with the 1/2 fraction symbol
          (or whatever is setup in the Edit Auto-Replace table under User
          Preferences). Likewise, if I type (TM), The Journal would
          automatically replace this text with the trademark symbol.

          > you have to be sure your cursor is
          B>> placed somewhere before the word you are replacing and not after.

          This is the part that's confusing me (not hard to do!). The word
          to be replaced is the word I'm typing (again, e.g. 1/2 or (TM))
          - i.e. it doesn't already exist in the text for me to place a
          cursor before or after it. Unless of course the journal requires
          you to select the text to replace it (seems pretty unlikely -
          why would it be called "auto" replace?)

          B> have the same trouble as you describe with urls. They are
          B> highlighted when entered but I can not click on them to open the site.

          I've exchanged a couple of emails with David Michael about this.
          After my original posting, I also noticed that my cursor does
          not change appearance when I point to a URL as it does in other
          programs. Seems to suggest that The Journal doesn't recognize
          that the cursor is pointing to a URL (a layperson's opinion
          only). Does your system behave the same? Which version of
          Windows are you using?

          Best regards,

          Tony mailto:towens@...
        • Claudia
          Message 4 of 26 , Jan 4, 2001
            > After my original posting, I also noticed that my cursor does
            > not change appearance when I point to a URL as it does in other
            > programs. Seems to suggest that The Journal doesn't recognize
            > that the cursor is pointing to a URL (a layperson's opinion
            > only). Does your system behave the same? Which version of
            > Windows are you using?
            >
            > Best regards,
            >
            > Tony mailto:towens@...

            Hi Tony!
            I use Windows 98, and when I click on an URL in the Journal, my default
            browser (IE) openes. So it's working here.

            I know the replacing feature like you describe it, but can't find it in
            the Journal :o( Actually, when I try to replace there, nothing happenes!
            Claudia in Switzerland
          • Tony Owens
            Message 5 of 26 , Jan 4, 2001
              Hello Claudia,

              Thursday, January 04, 2001, 4:39:54 PM, You wrote:

              C> I use Windows 98, and when I click on an URL in the Journal,
              C> my default browser (IE) openes. So it's working here.

              C> I know the replacing feature like you describe it, but can't find it in
              C> the Journal :o( Actually, when I try to replace there, nothing happenes!

              Thanks for your input Claudia. Don't know why I didn't think of
              it before, but after receiving your email I decided to install
              The Journal on a Windows 98 machine on our network (MS Windows
              98, Second Edition, 4.10.2222A). What I found is that it behaves
              exactly the same as on my Windows 2000 machine. Neither the
              Auto-Replace nor the URL links work.

              Also, I'm using the same default browser as you on both machines
              (IE5). Which version of The Journal are you running?

              (Maybe the problem is me - not my machines!) :-)

              Best regards,

              Tony mailto:towens@...
            • Claudia
              Message 6 of 26 , Jan 4, 2001
                Hi Tony
                my version is 2.3

                I played with the replacing feature again. It works if I highlight the
                text in which I want to use it. (or place the cursor at the beginning of
                it.). But it's not like elsewhere where I can highlight the word I want
                to replace and it comes up in the box.

                HTH
                Claudia

                Tony Owens wrote:

                > Hello Claudia,
                >
                > Thursday, January 04, 2001, 4:39:54 PM, You wrote:
                >
                > C> I use Windows 98, and when I click on an URL in the Journal,
                > C> my default browser (IE) openes. So it's working here.
                >
                > C> I know the replacing feature like you describe it, but can't find
                > it in
                > C> the Journal :o( Actually, when I try to replace there, nothing
                > happenes!
                >
                > Thanks for your input Claudia. Don't know why I didn't think of
                > it before, but after receiving your email I decided to install
                > The Journal on a Windows 98 machine on our network (MS Windows
                > 98, Second Edition, 4.10.2222A). What I found is that it behaves
                > exactly the same as on my Windows 2000 machine. Neither the
                > Auto-Replace nor the URL links work.
                >
                > Also, I'm using the same default browser as you on both machines
                > (IE5). Which version of The Journal are you running?
                >
                > (Maybe the problem is me - not my machines!) :-)
                >
                > Best regards,
                >
                > Tony mailto:towens@...
                >
                > eGroups Sponsor
                > [Corbis - The Place for Pictures Online]

              • Stan
                Message 7 of 26 , Jan 4, 2001
                  Hi Tony,
                  Welcome to the Journal Users group.

                  I am using v2.3 of the Journal on Windows98se, fully updated, with
                  Internet Explorer v5.01 - updated with SP-1.

                  I have no problems with the search and replace or connecting to sites
                  from the URL's saved in the Journal.

                  As I never used the search and relace before now I gave it a try. I
                  used the drop down menu "Search" then "Replace in Entry" without
                  moving my mouse pointer to any special location. It located 33
                  instances of the word I wanted to change and changed them.

                  I know this doesn't help your situation but I thought I would let you
                  know that it does work on my machine with no problems.

                  Regards,
                  Stan

                  --- In thejournal-users@egroups.com, Tony Owens <towens@c...> wrote:
                  > Hello Claudia,
                  >
                  > Thursday, January 04, 2001, 4:39:54 PM, You wrote:
                  >
                  > C> I use Windows 98, and when I click on an URL in the Journal,
                  > C> my default browser (IE) openes. So it's working here.
                  >
                  > C> I know the replacing feature like you describe it, but can't
                  find it in
                  > C> the Journal :o( Actually, when I try to replace there, nothing
                  happenes!

                  > Thanks for your input Claudia. Don't know why I didn't think of
                  > it before, but after receiving your email I decided to install
                  > The Journal on a Windows 98 machine on our network (MS Windows
                  > 98, Second Edition, 4.10.2222A). What I found is that it behaves
                  > exactly the same as on my Windows 2000 machine. Neither the
                  > Auto-Replace nor the URL links work.
                  >
                  > Also, I'm using the same default browser as you on both machines
                  > (IE5). Which version of The Journal are you running?
                  >
                  > (Maybe the problem is me - not my machines!) :-)
                  >

                  > Best regards,
                  >

                  > Tony mailto:towens@c...
                • Bonnie
                  Message 8 of 26 , Jan 4, 2001
                    Hello again Tony,

                    I'm sorry, apparently I misunderstood what you meant by the auto
                    replace feature. I was referring to the "find and replace" feature
                    where as on MS Word you find all of any particular words, etc. and
                    replace them with a different word. What you are talking about such
                    as automatically replacing 1/2 with a fraction symbol does not work
                    on my Journal copy either.

                    I have the same problem with urls. They are highlighted but the
                    cursor does not change when placed on them and they do not work.

                    I have version 2.3 of the Journal and Windows 98 4.10A.

                    Take care,
                    Bonnie

                    --- In thejournal-users@egroups.com, Tony Owens <towens@c...> wrote:
                    > Hello Bonnie,
                    >
                    > Thursday, January 04, 2001, 3:43:36 PM, You wrote:
                    >

                    > B> Welcome to the group! The auto replace feature works fine on my
                    > B> journal, but I have noticed that you have to be sure your cursor
                    is
                    > B> placed somewhere before the word you are replacing and not after.
                    >
                    > Thanks very much for the welcome and the email reply.
                    > Apparently, I've misunderstood the auto replace feature because
                    > I don't understand your reply. I thought it would work the same
                    > as it does in, for instance, MSWord: if I type 1/2, the program
                    > automatically replaces this text with the 1/2 fraction symbol
                    > (or whatever is setup in the Edit Auto-Replace table under User
                    > Preferences). Likewise, if I type (TM), The Journal would
                    > automatically replace this text with the trademark symbol.
                    >
                    > > you have to be sure your cursor is
                    > B>> placed somewhere before the word you are replacing and not
                    after.

                    > This is the part that's confusing me (not hard to do!). The word
                    > to be replaced is the word I'm typing (again, e.g. 1/2 or (TM))
                    > - i.e. it doesn't already exist in the text for me to place a
                    > cursor before or after it. Unless of course the journal requires
                    > you to select the text to replace it (seems pretty unlikely -
                    > why would it be called "auto" replace?)

                    > B> have the same trouble as you describe with urls. They are
                    > B> highlighted when entered but I can not click on them to open the
                    site.

                    > I've exchanged a couple of emails with David Michael about this.
                    > After my original posting, I also noticed that my cursor does
                    > not change appearance when I point to a URL as it does in other
                    > programs. Seems to suggest that The Journal doesn't recognize
                    > that the cursor is pointing to a URL (a layperson's opinion
                    > only). Does your system behave the same? Which version of
                    > Windows are you using?
                    >

                    > Best regards,
                    >

                    > Tony mailto:towens@c...
                  • Tony Owens
                    Message 9 of 26 , Jan 4, 2001
                      Hello Stan,

                      Thursday, January 04, 2001, 7:50:14 PM, You wrote:

                      S> I am using v2.3 of the Journal on Windows98se, fully updated, with
                      S> Internet Explorer v5.01 - updated with SP-1.

                      S> I have no problems with the search and replace or connecting to sites
                      S> from the URL's saved in the Journal.

                      S> As I never used the search and relace before now I gave it a try. I
                      S> used the drop down menu "Search" then "Replace in Entry" without
                      S> moving my mouse pointer to any special location. It located 33
                      S> instances of the word I wanted to change and changed them.

                      Thanks for your input, however I think you've misunderstood.
                      Please take a look at Bonnie's last post which explains the
                      difference between 'search and replace' versus auto-replace.
                      Also, you can experiment with auto-replace yourself in The
                      Journal by clicking on User/Preferences. A dialog window is
                      opened which displays a tickbox to turn auto-replace on and
                      off. The User Preferences window also displays another button
                      labeled Edit Auto-Replace, in which displays the auto replace
                      table and allows you to edit it.

                      Yet another way to see how auto replace works is to open a new
                      document in Microsoft Word and type either '1/2' or '(TM)'
                      (minus the quote marks). As soon as you type one space beyond
                      these characters, Word will automatically replace them with
                      the 1/2 fraction symbol and the trademark symbol,
                      respectively.

                      I would be interested if your auto-replace works or not in The
                      Journal.

                      Best regards,

                      Tony mailto:towens@...
                    • Julie Smith
                      Message 10 of 26 , Jan 4, 2001
                        Hi all,

                        I got curious and went to test The Journal for myself. I normally just use
                        the ASCII code stuff (Charmap.exe) and don't use the auto-replace feature
                        at all, so I had never really tried it out before.

                        It worked fine for me. 1/2 converted, as did (c) to © and (R) to ®. Also,
                        my browser opened up fine from a typed URL. My default browser is Netscape
                        and I have Win98 SE 4.10.222A (upgrade from Win95 fairly recently; I was
                        one of the last holdouts).

                        Be Well,

                        Julz

                        My Journaling Website: http://www.julz.cx/journal/
                      • Mario Jarrin
                        Message 11 of 26 , Jan 4, 2001
                          I also just tested auto replace and the URLs. Both
                          work fine for me. I am running runnig Windows NT 4.0
                          and Internet Explorer 5.00

                          Mario
                          --- Julie Smith <julz@...> wrote:
                          > Hi all,
                          >
                          > I got curious and went to test The Journal for
                          > myself. I normally just use
                          > the ASCII code stuff (Charmap.exe) and don't use the
                          > auto-replace feature
                          > at all, so I had never really tried it out before.
                          >
                          > It worked fine for me. 1/2 converted, as did (c) to
                          > � and (R) to �. Also,
                          > my browser opened up fine from a typed URL. My
                          > default browser is Netscape
                          > and I have Win98 SE 4.10.222A (upgrade from Win95
                          > fairly recently; I was
                          > one of the last holdouts).
                          >
                          > Be Well,
                          >
                          > Julz
                          >
                          > My Journaling Website: http://www.julz.cx/journal/

                          http://photos.yahoo.com/
                        • Stan
                          Message 12 of 26 , Jan 4, 2001
                            Hi Tony,

                            Yes you are correct, I misunderstood.

                            I tried as you suggestion and it works fine (c) becomes ©,
                            (r) becomes ® and so on.

                            I apologize for the misunderstanding, actually I am realatively new
                            to the Journal and still learning about many of it's features and
                            this is one of them. Thank you for pointing this out to me.

                            Regards,
                            Stan

                            > Thanks for your input, however I think you've misunderstood.
                            > Please take a look at Bonnie's last post which explains the
                            > difference between 'search and replace' versus auto-replace.
                            > Also, you can experiment with auto-replace yourself in The
                            > Journal by clicking on User/Preferences. A dialog window is
                            > opened which displays a tickbox to turn auto-replace on and
                            > off. The User Preferences window also displays another button
                            > labeled Edit Auto-Replace, in which displays the auto replace
                            > table and allows you to edit it.
                            >
                            > Yet another way to see how auto replace works is to open a new
                            > document in Microsoft Word and type either '1/2' or '(TM)'
                            > (minus the quote marks). As soon as you type one space beyond
                            > these characters, Word will automatically replace them with
                            > the 1/2 fraction symbol and the trademark symbol,
                            > respectively.
                            >
                            > I would be interested if your auto-replace works or not in The
                            > Journal.
                            >

                            > Best regards,
                            >

                            > Tony mailto:towens@c...
                          • Claudia
                            Message 13 of 26 , Jan 4, 2001
                              > I would be interested if your auto-replace works or not in The
                              > Journal.

                              auto-replace successfully tested!! 1/2 and (c) both converted w/o any
                              problem

                              Claudia
                            • Tony Owens
                              Message 14 of 26 , Jan 5, 2001
                                Hello Julie,

                                Thursday, January 04, 2001, 10:43:10 AM, You wrote:

                                JS> I got curious and went to test The Journal for myself. I normally just use
                                JS> the ASCII code stuff (Charmap.exe) and don't use the auto-replace feature
                                JS> at all, so I had never really tried it out before.

                                Thanks for the info. Like you, I'd gotten used to one method
                                before (auto-replace) since I always use Word (also some
                                applications allow you to input the Decimal ASCII code with the
                                Alt key, but this didn't work in Journal either). I'd never tried
                                Charmap before - actually didn't know it existed before your
                                email! Anyway, it works fine and is easy to do - thanks.

                                JS> It worked fine for me. 1/2 converted, as did (c) to © and (R) to ®. Also,
                                JS> my browser opened up fine from a typed URL. My default browser is Netscape
                                JS> and I have Win98 SE 4.10.222A (upgrade from Win95 fairly recently; I was
                                JS> one of the last holdouts).

                                Maybe I'll change my default browser to Netscape and see if that
                                makes a difference.

                                Best regards,

                                Tony mailto:towens@...
                              • Julie Smith
                                Message 15 of 26 , Jan 5, 2001
                                  I actually made myself up a little Character Map chart and slapped it up
                                  next to my monitor. Let me know if you'd like a copy; it's in Adobe
                                  Acrobat format.

                                  At 10:46 AM 01/05/2001 -0500, you wrote:
                                  >Hello Julie,
                                  >

                                  >Thursday, January 04, 2001, 10:43:10 AM, You wrote:
                                  >

                                  >JS> I got curious and went to test The Journal for myself. I normally
                                  >just use
                                  >JS> the ASCII code stuff (Charmap.exe) and don't use the auto-replace feature
                                  >JS> at all, so I had never really tried it out before.
                                  >
                                  >Thanks for the info. Like you, I'd gotten used to one method
                                  >before (auto-replace) since I always use Word (also some
                                  >applications allow you to input the Decimal ASCII code with the
                                  >Alt key, but this didn't work in Journal either). I'd never tried
                                  >Charmap before - actually didn't know it existed before your
                                  >email! Anyway, it works fine and is easy to do - thanks.
                                  >
                                  >JS> It worked fine for me. 1/2 converted, as did (c) to © and (R) to
                                  >®. Also,
                                  >JS> my browser opened up fine from a typed URL. My default browser is
                                  >Netscape
                                  >JS> and I have Win98 SE 4.10.222A (upgrade from Win95 fairly recently; I was
                                  >JS> one of the last holdouts).
                                  >
                                  >Maybe I'll change my default browser to Netscape and see if that
                                  >makes a difference.
                                  >

                                  >Best regards,
                                  >

                                  >Tony mailto:towens@...
                                  >

                                  >eGroups
                                  >Sponsor<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=160101.1228983.2866127.2/D=egroupmail/S=17002
                                  >08685:N/A=550879/*http://www.towerrecords.com/video.asp?from1=ydvd3>

                                • Tony Owens
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Jan 5, 2001
                                    Hello Julie,

                                    On Friday, January 05, 2001, at 11:16:57 AM, You wrote:

                                    JS> I actually made myself up a little Character Map chart and slapped it up
                                    JS> next to my monitor. Let me know if you'd like a copy; it's in Adobe
                                    JS> Acrobat format.

                                    This sounds like it would be useful, Julie. If you could send it
                                    to me (use my direct email address below), I would appreciate it!

                                    Best regards,

                                    Tony
                                    towens@...

                                    (P.S. Nice website!) :-)
                                  • Claire Peters
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Jan 5, 2001
                                      Hi Julie..... I wouldn't mind a copy of your chart..... Thanx for
                                      offering......

                                      Take care, Claire

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Jan 5, 2001
                                        What am I doing wrong??? Auto-replace doesn't work for me. Figures, I
                                        always seem to go about things the wrong way!
                                        Bonnie

                                        --- In thejournal-users@egroups.com, Claudia <aquacat@w...> wrote:
                                        > > I would be interested if your auto-replace works or not in The
                                        > > Journal.
                                        >
                                        > auto-replace successfully tested!! 1/2 and (c) both converted w/o
                                        any
                                        > problem
                                        >
                                        > Claudia
                                      • Tony Owens
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Jan 6, 2001
                                          Hello Bonnie,

                                          On Saturday, January 06, 2001, at 12:13:07 AM, You wrote:

                                          B> What am I doing wrong??? Auto-replace doesn't work for me. Figures, I
                                          B> always seem to go about things the wrong way!
                                          B> Bonnie

                                          I don't think you're doing anything wrong. The Auto-Replace and
                                          URL link capabilities of The Journal seem to work on some PCs and
                                          not on others. There have been a few postings from others who
                                          could not get these to work either.

                                          I don't think these are serious problems; The Journal is still a
                                          very good program. Nonetheless, they would be convenient.

                                          Any comment from David Michael?

                                          Best regards,

                                          Tony
                                          towens@...
                                        • Julie Smith
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Jan 6, 2001
                                            I agree with Tony here. The more I learn about computers, the more I
                                            realize that I don't know nuthin'! They're a lot like men that way!

                                            <ducking and running>

                                            I still think TheJournal is the best of the programs out there... at least
                                            for me. I've downloaded the tryout versions of quite a few of them in my
                                            working on my links page on my journaling site. It has a lot of neat
                                            features but isn't too obtrusive in the "how you should be doing your
                                            journal" stuff, since I still maintain that your way is the right way, and
                                            that ideas and prompts are fine, but no one else should tell you "the
                                            proper way it is to be done." Just my opinion, though; I feel more freedom
                                            to write when I'm not concerned with the "Am I doing this right?" stuff.

                                            As for David Michael... I picture this guy as studiously taking notes on
                                            all our comments and muttering to himself, "Gotta work on that in the 2.4..."

                                            Message 21 of 26 , Jan 6, 2001
                                              Yup. Taking notes. Paying attention. Pondering.

                                              I think the auto-replace problems a few people are reporting are due to
                                              some Windows differences, but I'm not sure. I do know that while working on
                                              2.4, I found that a particular way of doing things (like auto-replace) that
                                              *used* to work, no longer does in all cases. So I have made changes in the
                                              hope of making things more likely to function properly on any given system.

                                              For the people whose URLs in The Journal are not activating when clicked,
                                              you might try re-installing your browser software (Netscape, Internet
                                              Explorer, or whatever).

                                              I'm working on The Journal 2.4's new export/import at the moment. When I
                                              have that working well enough, I'll announce the "2.4 beta" on this list
                                              and see how well I've solved the bugs that have been reported.

                                              For the Truly Curious, here is the list of changes/fixes already in 2.4:
                                              - Updated to latest database version.
                                              - Updated to latest Windows Rich Edit Common Control.
                                              - Fixed bug with certain category names (e.g., "David", or ending with
                                              "-E-N-D") getting mangled.
                                              - Fixed bug which caused password-protected categories to become un-useable
                                              if the name of the category was changed.
                                              - Fixed bug in URL highlighting that would display highlighting incorrectly
                                              if there was more than one URL in a paragraph.
                                              - Secure links (https://...) are now recognized.
                                              - Fixed a couple of entry link issues, including a display problem similar
                                              to the URL problem.
                                              - Updated splash screen copyright notice.
                                              - Fixed toolbar icon display issues.
                                              - Removed unnecessary "Mount Segment..." prompts from backup and restore.
                                              - Added "Insert Template" to the entry right-click menu.
                                              - Added "Insert Image..." to the toolbar and appropriate menus.
                                              - Added "Back" and "Forward" buttons for entry links.
                                              - Prevented backup prompt from popping up on Windows shutdown/logout.
                                              - Fixed case-sensitivity on automatic sort of loose-leaf entries.

                                              Have a good weekend!

                                              -David

                                              On 1/6/01 at 11:31 AM Julie Smith wrote:

                                              >I agree with Tony here. The more I learn about computers, the more I
                                              >realize that I don't know nuthin'! They're a lot like men that way!
                                              >
                                              ><ducking and running>
                                              >
                                              >I still think TheJournal is the best of the programs out there... at least

                                              >for me. I've downloaded the tryout versions of quite a few of them in my
                                              >working on my links page on my journaling site. It has a lot of neat
                                              >features but isn't too obtrusive in the "how you should be doing your
                                              >journal" stuff, since I still maintain that your way is the right way, and

                                              >that ideas and prompts are fine, but no one else should tell you "the
                                              >proper way it is to be done." Just my opinion, though; I feel more
                                              freedom
                                              >to write when I'm not concerned with the "Am I doing this right?" stuff.
                                              >
                                              >As for David Michael... I picture this guy as studiously taking notes on
                                              >all our comments and muttering to himself, "Gotta work on that in the
                                              2.4..."

                                              >Be Well,
                                              >
                                              >Julz
                                              >
                                              >My Journaling Website: http://www.julz.cx/journal/
                                              >At 12:03 PM 01/06/2001 -0500, you wrote:
                                              >>I don't think you're doing anything wrong. The Auto-Replace and
                                              >>URL link capabilities of The Journal seem to work on some PCs and
                                              >>not on others. There have been a few postings from others who
                                              >>could not get these to work either.
                                              >>
                                              >>I don't think these are serious problems; The Journal is still a
                                              >>very good program. Nonetheless, they would be convenient.
                                              >>
                                              >>Any comment from David Michael?
                                              >>
                                              >>Best regards,
                                              >>
                                              >>Tony
                                              >>towens@...

                                              email: samudrm@... (formerly davidrm@...)
                                              homepage: http://www.davidrm.com

                                              "If we keep our pride/Though Paradise is lost
                                              We will pay the price/But we will not count the cost"
                                              ---Rush
                                            • Tony Owens
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Jan 6, 2001
                                                Hello Julie,

                                                On Saturday, January 06, 2001, at 12:31:46 PM, You wrote:

                                                JS> I agree with Tony here. The more I learn about computers, the more I
                                                JS> realize that I don't know nuthin'! They're a lot like men that way!

                                                Uh Oh - sounds like a topic for another e-group!

                                                JS> <ducking and running>

                                                I gotta snowball here with your name on it! :-)

                                                JS> I still think TheJournal is the best of the programs out
                                                JS> there...

                                                Agreed... I've gone through at least a half-dozen others before
                                                settling on TheJournal (i.e. hope I didn't ruffle DavidRM's
                                                feathers with that last posting - keep up the good work).

                                                Best regards,

                                                Tony
                                                towens@...
                                              • Bonnie
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Jan 6, 2001
                                                  Hi Tony,

                                                  You are right, these are not serious problems and they are certainly
                                                  things I can live without. The Journal is a very good program and I
                                                  am glad that I found it.

                                                  Thanks for your input Tony,
                                                  Bonnie

                                                  --- In thejournal-users@egroups.com, Tony Owens <towens@c...> wrote:
                                                  > Hello Bonnie,
                                                  >
                                                  > On Saturday, January 06, 2001, at 12:13:07 AM, You wrote:
                                                  >
                                                  > B> What am I doing wrong??? Auto-replace doesn't work for me.
                                                  Figures, I
                                                  > B> always seem to go about things the wrong way!
                                                  > B> Bonnie
                                                  >

                                                  > I don't think you're doing anything wrong. The Auto-Replace and
                                                  > URL link capabilities of The Journal seem to work on some PCs and
                                                  > not on others. There have been a few postings from others who
                                                  > could not get these to work either.
                                                  >
                                                  > I don't think these are serious problems; The Journal is still a
                                                  > very good program. Nonetheless, they would be convenient.
                                                  >
                                                  > Any comment from David Michael?
                                                  >

                                                  > Best regards,
                                                  >
                                                  > Tony
                                                  > towens@c...
                                                • Bonnie
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Jan 6, 2001
                                                    Hi Julie & Tony,

                                                    Did I hear snowball?! Need any backup Julie? There nothing like a
                                                    good snowball fight!

                                                    Seriously, it is good to meet others that are also interested in
                                                    journaling.

                                                    Take care,
                                                    Bonnie

                                                    PS
                                                    Tony - You'd better duck!

                                                    --- In thejournal-users@egroups.com, Tony Owens <towens@c...> wrote:
                                                    > Hello Julie,
                                                    >
                                                    > On Saturday, January 06, 2001, at 12:31:46 PM, You wrote:
                                                    >
                                                    > JS> I agree with Tony here. The more I learn about computers, the
                                                    more I
                                                    > JS> realize that I don't know nuthin'! They're a lot like men that
                                                    way!

                                                    > Uh Oh - sounds like a topic for another e-group!
                                                    >
                                                    > JS> <ducking and running>
                                                    >
                                                    > I gotta snowball here with your name on it! :-)
                                                    >
                                                    > JS> I still think TheJournal is the best of the programs out
                                                    > JS> there...
                                                    >
                                                    > Agreed... I've gone through at least a half-dozen others before
                                                    > settling on TheJournal (i.e. hope I didn't ruffle DavidRM's
                                                    > feathers with that last posting - keep up the good work).
                                                    >

                                                    > Best regards,
                                                    >
                                                    > Tony
                                                    > towens@c...
                                                  • Julie Smith
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Jan 6, 2001
                                                      I agree! I love a good snowball fight and it's great to meet people who
                                                      love to write too! I remember many years ago when I was planning on
                                                      getting married... until the guy started getting nasty about my
                                                      journaling. He said that he would not ALLOW me to write any more and that
                                                      once we got married he was going to read all of my journals. That was a
                                                      MAJOR factor (that plus his penchant for smacking me around) in my deciding
                                                      to lose him like a bad rash. I held out for a man who has no interest in
                                                      reading my journals, but will occasionally ask me to verify a date by
                                                      looking back in one. He also bought me a gorgeous Mont Blanc fountain pen
                                                      for our anniversary "So you can keep a journal with CLASS."

                                                      I don't write on paper any more, but I still treasure that pen. The
                                                      picture on my journaling website is one I took of it with my digital camera.

                                                      Be Well,

                                                      Julz

                                                      My Journaling Website:
                                                      http://www.julz.cx/journal/
                                                      At 09:01 PM 01/06/2001 +0000, you wrote:
                                                      >Hi Julie & Tony,
                                                      >
                                                      >Did I hear snowball?! Need any backup Julie? There nothing like a
                                                      >good snowball fight!
                                                      >
                                                      >Seriously, it is good to meet others that are also interested in
                                                      >journaling.
                                                      >
                                                      >Take care,
                                                      >Bonnie
                                                      >
                                                      >PS
                                                      >Tony - You'd better duck!
                                                      >

                                                      >--- In thejournal-users@egroups.com, Tony Owens <towens@c...> wrote:
                                                      > > Hello Julie,
                                                      > >
                                                      > > On Saturday, January 06, 2001, at 12:31:46 PM, You wrote:
                                                      > >
                                                      > > JS> I agree with Tony here. The more I learn about computers, the
                                                      >more I
                                                      > > JS> realize that I don't know nuthin'! They're a lot like men that
                                                      >way!
                                                      > >

                                                      > > Uh Oh - sounds like a topic for another e-group!
                                                      > >
                                                      > > JS> <ducking and running>
                                                      > >
                                                      > > I gotta snowball here with your name on it! :-)
                                                      > >
                                                      > > JS> I still think TheJournal is the best of the programs out
                                                      > > JS> there...
                                                      > >
                                                      > > Agreed... I've gone through at least a half-dozen others before
                                                      > > settling on TheJournal (i.e. hope I didn't ruffle DavidRM's
                                                      > > feathers with that last posting - keep up the good work).
                                                      > >

                                                      > > Best regards,
                                                      > >
                                                      > > Tony
                                                      > > towens@c...
                                                      >

                                                      >eGroups
                                                      >Sponsor<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=149861.1280212.2876301.2/D=egroupmail/S=17002
                                                      >08685:N/A=473696/?http://www.newaydirect.com>

                                                    • Bonnie
                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Jan 7, 2001
                                                        Hi Julz!

                                                        Nice to get to know you a little. I just got back from checking out
                                                        your web page and I love it! Sure glad you didn't end up with the
                                                        guy that had a problem with journaling for that would have been a
                                                        great loss for you AND for all the visitors to your web site. I've
                                                        been interested in journaling most of my life but I am one of those
                                                        that starts the new year out with all these plans and then does not
                                                        keep up with them. So, I particularly enjoyed your section on "Doing
                                                        it my way."!

                                                        I love to write. I'm another one of those with that as a dream that
                                                        I'm sure will never be fulfilled. Short storys, essays, poetry, you
                                                        name it. I've kept all my writing hidden until recently. I decided
                                                        to start a poetry web page. Keep in mind that I know NOTHING about
                                                        doing web pages, but I have found that with an editor it's easy to do
                                                        a simple one. I also was not so sure about putting some of my poetry
                                                        online for all to see. However, I have since heard from many that
                                                        say my words help them in some way, so that makes it worthwhile. So
                                                        many people do not like poetry at all. I guess it's one of those
                                                        things you either love or hate.

                                                        Have a great day!

                                                        Take care,
                                                        Bonnie