Re: [thejournal-users] Auto Replace and line spacing

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 10, 2009
      Un-check the "Use formatting" option below the "With" editor.

      That will prevent all formatting (font & paragraph) from being applied.

      -David

      ytsprog wrote:
      > How do I change the paragraph spacing in my Auto Replace Strings? I have some that come out as 12pt Before and 3pt After, even though my default settings are 0pt Before and After. How to set an Auto Replace string as 0pt Before and After?
      >
      > As it is, it's sending me a bit nuts. For example, I'm struggling with:
      > As a separator between points in an entry I have a long centred line of '~~~~~' etc across the page. I put it as an Auto Replace string by Replace 3 simple '-' (left justified) with the long line of centre justified '~~~~~' in a particular color. But every time I apply the Auto Replace string everything I type below it will be at 12pt Before and 3pt After.
      >
      >>From the 'With' box in Auto Replace it looks like the default spacing is set in as 12pt Before and 3pt After. I have the option to change the font when I apply formatting, but not the spacing.
      >
      > On the other hand, while trying different combinations with the 'Replace' and 'With' in Auto Strings, at one point the 'With' box changed to what looked like 0pt Before and After, but with a 1.01cm indent. So even though my arty line was centre justified when I hit enter or space to apply the string, I get everything below it with this indent.
      >
      > I like to use Auto Replace to its full - along with Auto Correct in Word, but I'm struggling here. Along with Strings failing if I put punctuation etc immediately before or after the string.
      >
      > All help is greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

    • ytsprog
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 10, 2009
        Thanks for the reply David.

        I was hoping you weren't going to say stop all formatting since the centred line I mention is also colored. I'd lose that if I unchecked 'Use formatting'. In fact, the formatting function is used for many of my Auto Replace strings. Among others, some include peoples' names in a particular color in personal entries so I can refer to people easily.

        I thought I'd find some flexibility with it since I was first getting the different line spacing, then the indent.

        Would it be possible to have more freedom with Auto String formatting in the future? Maybe a paragraph tab (like in the modify Style) to go with the font formatting?

        But saying that, I should imagine you've already got a list of things as long as your arm.

        Thanks anyway, David.

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 14, 2009
          If you compose the "With" outside the auto-replace editor and paste it
          in, then whatever paragraph settings you were using will come in with
          the paste.

          Does that make sense?

          I will see about adding access to the paragraph settings in the
          auto-replace editor.

          -David

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 19, 2009
            Thanks David, that works great for me. Perfect.

            I look forward to the paragraph settings, if they get on to your to-do.