Suggestion: Topics / Calendar

  • shango3535
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2009
      I'm test driving the demo and liking it. I really like the feature of being able to link an entry to another entry, notebook item, or anything else within the software, as well as an Internet website. I'd rather cut and paste a web site into a notebook item and then link to that anyway. For example, if I want to reference a restaurant I ate at one day and I want to store some info about it, I can paste some stuff from the restaurant's website into a notebook item and link my journal entry to that. Because what if the restaurant one day closes and they take down the website? Or they sell the domain name to a porn site? The Internet link won't do you any good then (well maybe). Anyway, I hope that feature gets improved some so that the link goes to some internal ID and not the actual item name. Because if you decide to change the name of the item, it breaks the link. An internal reference independent of the name would fix that.

      Also, I'd like to see an improvement in the functionality of topics. I don't like having to scroll down a long list from a dropdown every time especially if the item is towards the bottom. Hotkeys only go so far and can't possibly cover every commonly used topic. I think it would be so much better to have it in a treeview instead. Plus maybe have another window that shows the top ten most used topics that are automatically populated as you use them so they can be accessed more easily.

      I really love the idea of how you can put "charms" or icons on dates! I was actually looking for something like that to begin with. But my vision was actually to have a larger zoomed-in all up in your face calendar view with all sorts of icons, colors, etc. to mark events, or whatever so that you have a graphical view of your journal. For example, if I take a trip somewhere, I'd like to be able to select a range of dates and color them, or put an icon on the dates to mark that event in some way. Zoomed out far would show like a timeline where you could designate which graphical items would appear on that zoom level. What about being able to post photos on dates that show up as icons and when you zoom into the day, you get the full photos? The sky is the limit! Seems like this software is just getting started. Anyway, hope you explore my ideas.
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 2, 2009
        Thank you for the suggestions.

        I'm working on improvements in linking and topics. And a larger calendar
        view is on the way.

        I may not get all the way to what you're asking for, but I hope to get
        closer.

        -David

        PS Sometimes I feel like the software is just getting started too. And
        I've been working on it for 13 years now. ;-)