End user Development of The Journal

  • ibnanouk
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 3, 2009
      I am starting this topic to provide a place for those of us that want
      to take the journal farther down the road without altering source
      code. My best guess is that this can be done via the scripting,
      template, and package facilities that Dave has built into The Journal.

      Having use the Journal from its inception, I now have the time and
      interest of using the Journal for all matter of solutions that the
      basic journal platform would be an excellent starting point. I don't
      believe in starting over when a nice platform already exists.

      My first question:

      How does one discover the details of now far the scripting of the
      Journal can be used to extend its functionality that will ultimately
      lead to creating a package for redistribution? Also, any info more
      than the FAQs offer on setting up packages?

      Thanks, all, especially Dave for a great product.

      Nanouk
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 4, 2009
        At the present time, the only end user development possible is something
        like the add-on packages.

        The packages can load any number of shared or fully owned categories,
        which can contain any number of entries (including templates).

        In other words, there's no way, currently, to change functionality. Only
        content.

        If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

        -David

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 4, 2009
          Just wanted to add: the templates scripting can access any scripting
          language installed in Windows. That can be used to create VBScript or
          JavaScript forms that can get input from the user, and that input can be
          used within the template.

          But, presently, the VBScript/JavaScript has very limited access to The
          Journal's data. So such things would have to be largely self-contained.

          -David