Extended Security

  • picstartplus
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 5, 2008
      Hi,

      I'm running the latest version of The Journal on a PC running Windows
      2000. I also have the extended security option. The lock out after X
      number of failed attempts seems to work fine when first opening the
      app. If the app is opened and unlocked then hidden to the system
      tray, the lock out doesn't seem to work. I click on the icon and the
      login window appears. I enter a bad password and it hides back to the
      system tray. I repeat this repeatedly until my number of failed
      attempts has been exceeded. I try again with the correct password and
      it opens. It should have locked me out for X number of minutes.

      So, do I assume that the lock out for X number of minutes after the
      set number of failed attempts only works on first opening the
      application? If so, I need to remember to close the application
      before stepping away from my desk.

      Any information would be helpful.

      Thanks

      Keith
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 5, 2008
        Keith,

        You're correct. First logging in has the automatic failure after so many
        tries. Unlocking after a hide/minimize doesn't.

        I've made a note and I'll get that changed.

        If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

        -David

        picstartplus wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I'm running the latest version of The Journal on a PC running Windows
        > 2000. I also have the extended security option. The lock out after X
        > number of failed attempts seems to work fine when first opening the
        > app. If the app is opened and unlocked then hidden to the system
        > tray, the lock out doesn't seem to work. I click on the icon and the
        > login window appears. I enter a bad password and it hides back to the
        > system tray. I repeat this repeatedly until my number of failed
        > attempts has been exceeded. I try again with the correct password and
        > it opens. It should have locked me out for X number of minutes.
        >
        > So, do I assume that the lock out for X number of minutes after the
        > set number of failed attempts only works on first opening the
        > application? If so, I need to remember to close the application
        > before stepping away from my desk.
        >
        > Any information would be helpful.
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Keith

      • picstartplus
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 8, 2008
          Thank you for the reply.

          I have another question. When does the lock out timer begin?
          1) When the number of failed attempts are exceeded
          2) When no more attempts are tried
          3) When the app is closed
          4) None of the above

          I had it set at 20 minutes but it took over an hour before it took the
          correct password. My guess is that it is when the app is closed.

          Thanks.

          Keith

          --- In thejournal-users@yahoogroups.com, David Michael <davidrm@...>

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 9, 2008
            Keith,

            The timer is supposed to be reset each time the login fails after the
            number of failures is reached.

            That is, the lockout begins when the number of failures is reached.
            And each additional failure resets the timer.

            That's not what you're seeing?

            -David