RTF formatting in the Journal

  • NJHeart2Heart
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 9, 2001
      Hi David, :)

      I was reading the thread about RTF formattting, kerning, and "paste
      special" with great interest.

      If you recall, I had asked you a couple months ago about a problem
      with formatting. When I try to paste text from the internet, like
      from egroup messages, and yahoo email, the formatting tends to
      originate as a column on the screen (in The Journal). I'd like to
      find a way that allows me to paste it so that it automatically wraps
      to "The Journal's" window. Likewise, when I export files into RTF
      format, they also keep the formatting of the window in T.J., which is
      also narrower than say a MS Word window.
      To make this sound sensible, my goals lately are to take text that
      I've written on yahoo/yahoogroups and place it into the journal so
      the text goes from one edge to another. Also, I am now starting to
      print out paper copies of my journals by year, which means I have to
      export them to RTF, and print them out so that I get as much text on
      each sheet of paper as possible. Does this make sense? Is there a
      way to get the RTF to "wrap to window" both on copy/paste, and on
      exporting to RTF file?

      Thanks for your response, as always!

      Dawn in Jersey
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 9, 2001
        >If you recall, I had asked you a couple months ago about a problem
        >with formatting. When I try to paste text from the internet, like
        >from egroup messages, and yahoo email, the formatting tends to
        >originate as a column on the screen (in The Journal). I'd like to
        >find a way that allows me to paste it so that it automatically wraps
        >to "The Journal's" window. Likewise, when I export files into RTF
        >format, they also keep the formatting of the window in T.J., which is
        >also narrower than say a MS Word window.

        If text pasted with formatting comes in with an indent, you may be able to
        use The Journal's un-indent to push it back to the left margin. Otherwise,
        you're stuck with using "Paste Special" and pasting as "Unformatted Text".

        The word-wrapping in The Journal is based on how you sized The Journal. If
        you resize The Journal, the word-wrapping changes to match. I don't know of
        a way, unfortunately, to force text pasted or exported from The Journal to
        conform to a particular page width.

        I wish I could be more helpful.

        "If we keep our pride/Though Paradise is lost
        We will pay the price/But we will not count the cost"
        ---Rush