Merging mobile notes into The Journal

  • John
    Message 1 of 6 , May 5, 2008
      After a few years of TJ use, I'm still happy overall but one issue
      still continues to stump me (and has been bothering me more and more
      over time): how to seamlessly move notes and entries taken on a PDA to
      The Journal in three steps or less.

      Ideal workflow:
      1. Jot down thought in PDA; 2. Synch PDA with computer; 3. Open The
      Journal and import note(s) into correct dates without having to
      organize them manually.

      My current workflow:
      1. Jot down thought in PDA (Treo "Easy Notes" app), 2. Synch PDA, 3.
      Open The Journal; 4. Open Palm Desktop; 5. Copy/paste individual
      entries from PD to TJ one at a time, ensuring that dates and times are
      respected.

      The process is so laborous that it drastically reduces my motivation
      to actually capture notes on my PDA in the first place, and I often
      end up hoping to remember something later or to rely on a digital
      voice recorder which I carry around occasionally.

      I have considered replacing my Treo 700p with an iPhone or even a
      Windows Mobile device but I'm loathe to because Palm has (for the most
      part) served me so well over the years.

      What are other the rest of you doing?
    • John
      Message 2 of 6 , May 5, 2008
        Typo corrections...

        > The process is so [laborious, not laborous] that it drastically
        > reduces my motivation to actually capture notes on my PDA in the
        > first place, and I often end up hoping to remember something later
        > or [delete "to"] rely on a digital voice recorder which I carry
        > around occasionally.
        >
        > I have considered replacing my Treo 700p with an iPhone or even a
        > Windows Mobile device but I'm loathe to because Palm has (for the most
        > part) served me so well over the years.
        >
        > What are [delete "other"]the rest of you doing?

      • arail_10007
        Message 3 of 6 , May 5, 2008
          Not an answer to your main question but you can sign up for a great
          free service called Jott (www.jott.com) and leave your voice recorder
          home. Once registerd, you call the Jott number and leave voice
          messages for yourself or other email addresses you've registered on
          the site. Jott takes the voice message and sends it back to you as an
          email. Real handy.
          Message 4 of 6 , May 6, 2008
            John,

            Another approach you might try is, use the "Import Entries..." on the
            Entry menu. Point it to the folder with the PDA entries/files.

            Or, if you can easily name the entries to have the date in the same
            format each time (ex: 2008-05-06.txt), you could use the "Batch Entry
            Import" on the Tools menu to pull in a batch of files and assign them to
            the correct date.

            I agree, neither one is ideal, but they might streamline your process some.

            Your comments, and some other recent discussions, have made me think of
            a way I could make this much easier. It will be later this year, though,
            before I can tackle it.

            Thank you for the feedback.

            -David

            John wrote:
            > After a few years of TJ use, I'm still happy overall but one issue
            > still continues to stump me (and has been bothering me more and more
            > over time): how to seamlessly move notes and entries taken on a PDA to
            > The Journal in three steps or less.
            >
            > Ideal workflow:
            > 1. Jot down thought in PDA; 2. Synch PDA with computer; 3. Open The
            > Journal and import note(s) into correct dates without having to
            > organize them manually.
            >
            > My current workflow:
            > 1. Jot down thought in PDA (Treo "Easy Notes" app), 2. Synch PDA, 3.
            > Open The Journal; 4. Open Palm Desktop; 5. Copy/paste individual
            > entries from PD to TJ one at a time, ensuring that dates and times are
            > respected.
            >
            > The process is so laborous that it drastically reduces my motivation
            > to actually capture notes on my PDA in the first place, and I often
            > end up hoping to remember something later or to rely on a digital
            > voice recorder which I carry around occasionally.
            >
            > I have considered replacing my Treo 700p with an iPhone or even a
            > Windows Mobile device but I'm loathe to because Palm has (for the most
            > part) served me so well over the years.
            >
            > What are other the rest of you doing?
          • jim.mcgowan
            Message 5 of 6 , May 7, 2008
              David,

              Someone mentioned Jott.com earlier in this topic. I've been using
              Jott since its inception - wonderful application. Extremely useful. I
              can create calendar entries in Google Calendar and To Do tasks in
              Toodledo just by sending a Jott (Voice email message) to the application.

              Can entries be emailed to The Journal? I don't think I have seen this
              mentioned anywhere, but it would sure be a great feature for the next
              version.

              Heck, I would pay extra for that feature!

              Thanks!

              Jim

              --- In thejournal-users@yahoogroups.com, David Michael <davidrm@...>

              Message 6 of 6 , May 15, 2008
                Jim,

                That's an interesting idea: being able to email to The Journal. I would
                have to figure out what that would entail (a server component?).

                Thanks for the suggestion.

                -David