Re: The Journal crashing under wine for Linux - solution

  • j_m_frey
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 12, 2008
      The updated wine did fix this for me too under Ubuntu 7.10.

      However, I have now noticed that when I create a sub-entry using
      "F10", it continues to create sub-entries under each new entry until I
      press a key. It's quite funny to watch, but problematic in that you
      then have to click "OK" for each entry to be named, then move back to
      the top to remove all the unnecessary ones.

      Right-clicking the menu (something I'll have to get used to) works fine.

      The only other problem I notice under Wine is that the area above the
      tabs and below the toolbars gets jumbled with graphics - apparently
      not refreshing properly.

      I'm still working through using Journal on Linux. I've been using it
      on Windows for years and it is perhaps the most important and best
      application I have. Unfortunately, Windows is the least important and
      worst application I have. I'll be bummed if I cannot use it on my new
      laptop.

      --- In thejournal-users@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Brown" <richard@...>
      wrote:

      > On 1/8/08, David Michael <davidrm@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Richard,
      > >
      > > Thanks for the information. That's an interesting error message.
      Was it

      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 12, 2008
        I've heard of the problem with F9/F10 looping before. Not sure why it
        happens. Wine evidently does *something* just a bit different that The
        Journal expects.

        On the "jumbled graphics" part, though, you can turn that off and get
        rid of the visual distraction at least. In User Preferences, on the
        General tab, turn off the option "Show Entry Date/Name over Category Tabs".

        -David

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 15, 2008
          Today I remembered where I had run into that F9/F10 looping problem
          before. And now I've made a minor fix that will be in the next update.
          It might solve this problem. If you're willing to help me test the fix,
          let me know.

          -David

        • Richard Brown
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 15, 2008
            On 1/15/08, David Michael <davidrm@...> wrote:

            > Today I remembered where I had run into that F9/F10 looping problem
            > before. And now I've made a minor fix that will be in the next update.
            > It might solve this problem. If you're willing to help me test the fix,
            > let me know.
            >
            > -David

            Yes, the same thing happens to me. Will test a new version if its any help.

            The other issue under wine is that the program often hangs if its left open
            for
            any length of time. The application name also disappears from the taskbar.
            I find that if I restart it, but answer no when prompted if I require a
            second instance of the program, it will often spring back to life, although
            sometimes it takes a few attempts.

            Richard Brown

            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 22, 2008
              Richard,

              No clue about the application hanging. That might be a Wine issue and
              not The Journal. I'll keep my eyes open, though, and see what I can find.

              Here is a test version of The Journal that might fix the F9/F10 problem:
              http://www.davidrm.com/download/jnl4b248setup.exe

              Backup your entries, and then close The Journal *before* you install the
              update.

              Let me know.

              Thanks!

              -David

              PS Anyone else who wants to play with the test version is welcome to.
              It's mostly bug-fixes.

              _New Features_

              · Added support for cedilla (Ç, ç) in International Character hot-keys
              <keyboardshortcuts%28hot_keys%29.htm#internationalcharacters>.

              · Upgraded to latest DBISAM database software.

              _Bugs Fixed_

              · Repair utility not handling the case of an interrupted database
              upgrade.

              · Re-installing after the end of the trial period sometimes not seeing
              existing Journal Volume and not allowing a restore.

              · Deleting a category sometimes causing an access violation.

              · Wordpress, Blogger, LiveJournal and TypePad blog profiles should
              default to HTML export.

              · F9/F10 hot-keys looping when running The Journal under Wine.

              · When creating a new category, Master Category list doesn't show
              nesting of sub-categories.

              · Hot-key for topics, Ctrl+Shift+6, messed up the Ctrl+Shift+^ hot-key
              for circumflex letters: â, ê, ... (NOTE: hot-keys for topics are now
              limited to Ctrl+Shift+1 to Ctrl+Shift+5 and Ctrl+Shift+7 to Ctrl+Shift+0)

              Richard Brown wrote:
              > On 1/15/08, David Michael <davidrm@...> wrote:
              >
              > Yes, the same thing happens to me. Will test a new version if its any help.
              >
              > The other issue under wine is that the program often hangs if its left open
              > for
              > any length of time. The application name also disappears from the taskbar.
              > I find that if I restart it, but answer no when prompted if I require a
              > second instance of the program, it will often spring back to life, although
              > sometimes it takes a few attempts.
              >
              > Richard Brown

            • Richard Brown
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 24, 2008
                On 1/22/08, David Michael <davidrm@...> wrote:
                Yep, seems to be working fine now. Haven't tried it for long though.

                Thanks,