Re: Importing data

  • Phil
    Message 1 of 23 , Nov 1, 2006
      David

      Downloaded it but just got an error message "The setup files are
      corrupted. Please obtain a new copy of the program" when I tried to
      run it. Downloaded it a couple of times and also rebooted to see if
      that made any difference - didn't.

      Regards

      Phil

      --- In thejournal-users@yahoogroups.com, David Michael <davidrm@...>
      wrote:

      > You can download the test release here:
      > http://www.davidrm.com/download/jnl4b190setup.exe
      >
      > Do a backup of The Journal before you install the update. And make
      sure it's not
      > running when you do the install.
      >
      > In the Batch Entry Import, set the format to: dd mmmm yyyy

    • brendan stallard
      Message 2 of 23 , Nov 1, 2006
        Phil/David,

        FWIW, I downloaded the file:

        jnl4b190setup

        This afternoon from David's link @

        http://www.davidrm.com/download/jnl4b190setup.exe

        And installed it without any difficulty.

        Used Journal afterwards, everything seems to be in order.

        Not trying to interfere, just trying to help David.

        brendan
      • Phil
        Message 3 of 23 , Nov 2, 2006
          Thanks Brendan

          I'll try again when I get home.

          Phil

          --- In thejournal-users@yahoogroups.com, "brendan stallard"
          <brendan.stallard@...> wrote:

          > Phil/David,
          >
          > FWIW, I downloaded the file:
          >
          > jnl4b190setup
          >
          > This afternoon from David's link @
          >
          > http://www.davidrm.com/download/jnl4b190setup.exe
          >
          > And installed it without any difficulty.
          >
          > Used Journal afterwards, everything seems to be in order.
          >
          > Not trying to interfere, just trying to help David.
          >

          > brendan

        • Phil
          Message 4 of 23 , Nov 2, 2006
            Installed this time but still couldn't import data - got message
            "File name could not be converted to date"

            Phil

            Message 5 of 23 , Nov 2, 2006
              Hmm.

              What is an example file name again? And what format did you specify in the Batch
              Entry Import?

              -David

              On Thu, 02 Nov 2006 20:02:29 -0000, Phil wrote:
              > Installed this time but still couldn't import data - got message
              > "File name could not be converted to date"
              >
              > Phil
              >
              > --- In thejournal-users@yahoogroups.com, "Phil" <phiwinuk@...>
              > wrote:
              >
              >> Thanks Brendan
              >>
              >> I'll try again when I get home.
              >>
              >> Phil
              >>
              >> --- In thejournal-users@yahoogroups.com, "brendan stallard"
              >> <brendan.stallard@> wrote:
              >>

              >>> Phil/David,
              >>>
              >>> FWIW, I downloaded the file:
              >>>
              >>> jnl4b190setup
              >>>
              >>> This afternoon from David's link @
              >>>
              >>> http://www.davidrm.com/download/jnl4b190setup.exe
              >>>
              >>> And installed it without any difficulty.
              >>>
              >>> Used Journal afterwards, everything seems to be in order.
              >>>
              >>> Not trying to interfere, just trying to help David.
              >>>

              >>> brendan
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Phil
              Message 6 of 23 , Nov 3, 2006
                wrote:

                > Hmm.
                >
                > What is an example file name again? And what format did you specify
                in the Batch
                > Entry Import?
                >
                > -David

                The file is Jnlexp.rtf and I'm using DD MMMMM YYYY
                Can't see anything obviously strange about it.

                Phil
                Message 7 of 23 , Nov 3, 2006
                  > The file is Jnlexp.rtf and I'm using DD MMMMM YYYY Can't see
                  > anything obviously strange about it.

                  I thought your export files were named like this:

                  03 November 2006.RTF

                  Did you re-export? Or did I miss something obvious early on?

                  -David
                • Phil
                  Message 8 of 23 , Nov 4, 2006
                    Obviously a misunderstanding from early on - so sorry if I'm trying
                    to do something impossible & I've wasted yout time.

                    I have one long file with each day separated by date as 04 November
                    2006 etc.

                    Do I have any chance of importing this?

                    Thanks

                    Message 9 of 23 , Nov 4, 2006
                      Yup. I missed that completely. My mistake.

                      Currently, no, there's no way to do an automated import with that kind of
                      consolidated file.

                      My apologies for the confusion.

                      -David

                      On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 15:54:23 -0000, Phil wrote:
                      > Obviously a misunderstanding from early on - so sorry if I'm trying
                      > to do something impossible & I've wasted yout time.
                      >
                      > I have one long file with each day separated by date as 04 November
                      > 2006 etc.
                      >
                      > Do I have any chance of importing this?
                      >
                      > Thanks
                      >
                      > Phil
                      >
                      > --- In thejournal-users@yahoogroups.com, David Michael
                      > <davidrm@...> wrote:
                      >

                      >>> The file is Jnlexp.rtf and I'm using DD MMMMM YYYY Can't see
                      >>> anything obviously strange about it.
                      >>>

                      >> I thought your export files were named like this:
                      >>
                      >> 03 November 2006.RTF
                      >>
                      >> Did you re-export? Or did I miss something obvious early on?
                      >>
                      >> -David
                      >

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Craig Williams
                      Message 10 of 23 , Nov 4, 2006
                        Text manipulation is never impossible.
                        Is the file real RTF (pictures and formatting) or just text?

                        If someone (Phil or David) can tell me what format you WANT the file, I
                        might be able to provide a script to convert the one file to many many
                        files. Do you just want the file split by the day?
                        If you could post part of the file -- I'd be interested in the first
                        two "records" and the last one. You can strip out any info except the
                        Date row / records and a few lines after (you could replace with
                        garbage text if the info is sensitive)

                        Let me know. I'm willing to help.
                        It really sounds like an awk script of less than 10 lines of code.
                        But if there are pictures, I might need to do it in Word.
                        I've done this process (splitting one file into several) with Word docs
                        using VBA too. It is a little harder -- but less than an hour to know
                        if it can be done properly.

                        Craig

                        --- Phil <phiwinuk@...> wrote:

                        > Obviously a misunderstanding from early on - so sorry if I'm trying
                        > to do something impossible & I've wasted yout time.
                        >
                        > I have one long file with each day separated by date as 04 November
                        > 2006 etc.
                        >
                        > Do I have any chance of importing this?
                        >
                        > Thanks
                        >
                        > Phil
                        >
                        > --- In thejournal-users@yahoogroups.com, David Michael <davidrm@...>
                        > wrote:
                        > >
                        > > > The file is Jnlexp.rtf and I'm using DD MMMMM YYYY Can't see
                        > > > anything obviously strange about it.
                        > >
                        > > I thought your export files were named like this:
                        > >
                        > > 03 November 2006.RTF
                        > >
                        > > Did you re-export? Or did I miss something obvious early on?
                        > >
                        > > -David

                        (http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited)
                      • Phil
                        Message 11 of 23 , Nov 5, 2006
                          Craig

                          Have sent you a PM with a sample of the file. Thanks for your offer -
                          would be useful if you could do something but don't worry if it's a
                          problem.

                          David

                          Thanks for your help - hope I haven't put you to too much trouble.

                          Phil

                          --- In thejournal-users@yahoogroups.com, Craig Williams