Help with Categories please!

  • Bonnie
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 3, 2000
      I had just finished a "Christmas Lists" category complete with my
      familys' gift list. I then went to "User" and "Edit Categories". I
      clicked "New Category" and added a new category ("Other Lists") with
      a new tab. The previous category tab ("Christmas Lists") was still
      there but when I went to it the contents were blank! My entire list
      was gone! And no, I had not yet done a back up - I know I should
      have but I had just finished the list and not done back ups yet. I
      did click "New Category" when I started the "Other Lists" category
      and I did not type over the previous category. What happened? I
      must have done something wrong but I don't know what. Is there
      anyway I can get the original contents from the "Christmas Lists"
      category back? Help!

      Thanks for being here - I'm sure this won't be my first mistake!
      Bonnie
    • Bonnie
      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 3, 2000
        Well, it's me again! Sorry, I'm confused here. I went under the
        calender on the left and clicked "New Entry" and suddenly my list
        came back! :) (I quickly copied it to another location in case I
        screw up again!) Anyway, thankfully I got it back but I am confused
        here. To avoid further stupid mistakes like this (guess I'm good at
        them!) what happened here? I don't understand what I did wrong to
        lose it in the first place and I don't understand any better how I
        got it back? (But I'm glad I did!) And I WILL do my back ups!

        Please excuse my denseness here! Thanks for any help and explanation!
        Bonnie

        PS
        The Journal is great for Christmas lists because I have it password
        protected and no one can find out what I'm getting them!

        --- In thejournal-users@egroups.com, "Bonnie " <zante9@y...> wrote:
        > I had just finished a "Christmas Lists" category complete with my
        > familys' gift list. I then went to "User" and "Edit Categories".
        > clicked "New Category" and added a new category ("Other Lists")
        with
        > a new tab. The previous category tab ("Christmas Lists") was still
        > there but when I went to it the contents were blank! My entire
        list
        > was gone! And no, I had not yet done a back up - I know I should
        > have but I had just finished the list and not done back ups yet. I
        > did click "New Category" when I started the "Other Lists" category
        > and I did not type over the previous category. What happened? I
        > must have done something wrong but I don't know what. Is there
        > anyway I can get the original contents from the "Christmas Lists"
        > category back? Help!
        >
        > Thanks for being here - I'm sure this won't be my first mistake!
        > Bonnie
      • scr
        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 3, 2000
          Hi Bonnie,

          I'm till playing with this note thing.

          You could try creating a button with the command as
          follows:
          Command: *note
          Note Action: ShowHideopen
          Enter Category: *

          (the * shows all open notes) Perhaps you didn't close
          and save it, did you right or left click the "X" in
          the right corner of the note?

          Regards,
          StanR

          http://shopping.yahoo.com/
          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 3, 2000
            This is rather unusual behavior for The Journal, but it almost sounds
            familiar. I will do some experimenting and see if I can recreate what
            happened.

            >Well, it's me again! Sorry, I'm confused here. I went under the
            >calender on the left and clicked "New Entry" and suddenly my list
            >came back! :) (I quickly copied it to another location in case I
            >screw up again!) Anyway, thankfully I got it back but I am confused
            >here. To avoid further stupid mistakes like this (guess I'm good at
            >them!) what happened here? I don't understand what I did wrong to
            >lose it in the first place and I don't understand any better how I
            >got it back? (But I'm glad I did!) And I WILL do my back ups!
            >
            >Please excuse my denseness here! Thanks for any help and explanation!
            >Bonnie
            >
            >PS
            >The Journal is great for Christmas lists because I have it password
            >protected and no one can find out what I'm getting them!
            >

            >--- In thejournal-users@egroups.com, "Bonnie " <zante9@y...> wrote:
            >> I had just finished a "Christmas Lists" category complete with my
            >> familys' gift list. I then went to "User" and "Edit Categories".
            >> clicked "New Category" and added a new category ("Other Lists")
            >with
            >> a new tab. The previous category tab ("Christmas Lists") was still
            >> there but when I went to it the contents were blank! My entire
            >list
            >> was gone! And no, I had not yet done a back up - I know I should
            >> have but I had just finished the list and not done back ups yet. I
            >> did click "New Category" when I started the "Other Lists" category
            >> and I did not type over the previous category. What happened? I
            >> must have done something wrong but I don't know what. Is there
            >> anyway I can get the original contents from the "Christmas Lists"
            >> category back? Help!
            >>
            >> Thanks for being here - I'm sure this won't be my first mistake!
            >> Bonnie

            email: davidrm@...
            homepage: http://www.davidrm.com

            "If we keep our pride/Though Paradise is lost
            We will pay the price/But we will not count the cost"
            ---Rush
          • scr
            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 3, 2000
              OOPs!!! Wrong group, sorry about that, just started
              this egroup thing, again sorry
              StanR

              http://shopping.yahoo.com/
            • Claudia
              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 3, 2000
                LOL! I was just wondering if I should be confused now or not and then I
                saw your second message! ;o))
                Claudia

                scr wrote:

                > OOPs!!! Wrong group, sorry about that, just started
                > this egroup thing, again sorry
                > StanR
                > --- scr <scr_99_1@...> wrote:
                > > Hi Bonnie,
                > >
                > > I'm till playing with this note thing.
                > >
                > > You could try creating a button with the command as
                > > follows:
                > > Command: *note
                > > Note Action: ShowHideopen
                > > Enter Category: *
                > >
                > > (the * shows all open notes) Perhaps you didn't
                > > close
                > > and save it, did you right or left click the "X" in
                > > the right corner of the note?
                > >
                > > Regards,
                > > StanR
                > >

                > > --- Bonnie <zante9@...> wrote:
                > > > I had just finished a "Christmas Lists" category
                > > > complete with my
                > > > familys' gift list. I then went to "User" and
                > > "Edit
                > > > Categories". I
                > > > clicked "New Category" and added a new category
                > > > ("Other Lists") with
                > > > a new tab. The previous category tab ("Christmas
                > > > Lists") was still
                > > > there but when I went to it the contents were
                > > blank!
                > > > My entire list
                > > > was gone! And no, I had not yet done a back up -
                > > > know I should
                > > > have but I had just finished the list and not done
                > > > back ups yet. I
                > > > did click "New Category" when I started the "Other
                > > > Lists" category
                > > > and I did not type over the previous category.
                > > What
                > > > happened? I
                > > > must have done something wrong but I don't know
                > > > what. Is there
                > > > anyway I can get the original contents from the
                > > > "Christmas Lists"
                > > > category back? Help!
                > > >
                > > > Thanks for being here - I'm sure this won't be my
                > > > first mistake!
                > > > Bonnie

              • Claudia
                Message 7 of 20 , Dec 3, 2000
                  Bonnie,
                  I don't think you made a mistake, something similar happened to me the
                  other day. The Journal *does* funny things to me too.

                  <sigh>
                  Claudia

                  Bonnie wrote:

                  > Well, it's me again! Sorry, I'm confused here. I went under the
                  > calender on the left and clicked "New Entry" and suddenly my list
                  > came back! :) (I quickly copied it to another location in case I
                  > screw up again!) Anyway, thankfully I got it back but I am confused
                  > here. To avoid further stupid mistakes like this (guess I'm good at
                  > them!) what happened here? I don't understand what I did wrong to
                  > lose it in the first place and I don't understand any better how I
                  > got it back? (But I'm glad I did!) And I WILL do my back ups!
                  >
                  > Please excuse my denseness here! Thanks for any help and explanation!
                  > Bonnie
                  >
                  > PS
                  > The Journal is great for Christmas lists because I have it password
                  > protected and no one can find out what I'm getting them!
                  >
                  > --- In thejournal-users@egroups.com, "Bonnie " <zante9@y...> wrote:
                  > > I had just finished a "Christmas Lists" category complete with my
                  > > familys' gift list. I then went to "User" and "Edit Categories".
                  > > clicked "New Category" and added a new category ("Other Lists")
                  > with
                  > > a new tab. The previous category tab ("Christmas Lists") was still
                  > > there but when I went to it the contents were blank! My entire
                  > list
                  > > was gone! And no, I had not yet done a back up - I know I should
                  > > have but I had just finished the list and not done back ups yet. I
                  > > did click "New Category" when I started the "Other Lists" category
                  > > and I did not type over the previous category. What happened? I
                  > > must have done something wrong but I don't know what. Is there
                  > > anyway I can get the original contents from the "Christmas Lists"
                  > > category back? Help!
                  > >
                  > > Thanks for being here - I'm sure this won't be my first mistake!
                  > > Bonnie
                  >
                  > eGroups Sponsor
                  > [Click Here!]

                • Bonnie
                  Message 8 of 20 , Dec 3, 2000
                    Hi Stan,
                    Thanks for your help. I'm still trying to learn more about The
                    Journal - I love it but I really need to learn a lot more about it.
                    When you say to try to create a button with a command, do you mean to
                    make a hot key? (can we do that in The Journal?) Or, are you
                    talking about a button on the toolbar? As you can see, I guess I'm
                    easily confused with some of this!

                    I do appreciate you helping out - thanks!
                    Bonnie

                    --- In thejournal-users@egroups.com, scr <scr_99_1@y...> wrote:
                    > Hi Bonnie,
                    >
                    > I'm till playing with this note thing.
                    >
                    > You could try creating a button with the command as
                    > follows:
                    > Command: *note
                    > Note Action: ShowHideopen
                    > Enter Category: *
                    >
                    > (the * shows all open notes) Perhaps you didn't close
                    > and save it, did you right or left click the "X" in
                    > the right corner of the note?
                    >
                    > Regards,
                    > StanR
                    >

                    > --- Bonnie <zante9@y...> wrote:
                    > > I had just finished a "Christmas Lists" category
                    > > complete with my
                    > > familys' gift list. I then went to "User" and "Edit
                    > > Categories". I
                    > > clicked "New Category" and added a new category
                    > > ("Other Lists") with
                    > > a new tab. The previous category tab ("Christmas
                    > > Lists") was still
                    > > there but when I went to it the contents were blank!
                    > > My entire list
                    > > was gone! And no, I had not yet done a back up - I
                    > > know I should
                    > > have but I had just finished the list and not done
                    > > back ups yet. I
                    > > did click "New Category" when I started the "Other
                    > > Lists" category
                    > > and I did not type over the previous category. What
                    > > happened? I
                    > > must have done something wrong but I don't know
                    > > what. Is there
                    > > anyway I can get the original contents from the
                    > > "Christmas Lists"
                    > > category back? Help!
                    > >
                    > > Thanks for being here - I'm sure this won't be my
                    > > first mistake!
                    > > Bonnie

                    > http://shopping.yahoo.com/
                  • Bonnie
                    Message 9 of 20 , Dec 3, 2000
                      Thanks for your help David. It is probably me making some stupid
                      mistake and not the fault of The Journal. I really appreciate you
                      having this email group so we can all compare notes and get help on
                      The Journal.

                      I am wondering if part of this is caused by whether or not I make the
                      new category entry "Non-Daily" or "Loose Leaf"? I'm not sure I
                      understand the difference between the two. I'm trying to create a
                      category that will be there no matter what date I'm on. In other
                      words, no matter what day it is I can click the tab for the
                      category "Christmas Lists" and I get my list. I've tried recreating
                      what I did earlier and had the same thing happen - the new category
                      page came up blank. But then when I click on "Current Entry" under
                      the calendar it comes back - sometimes, I guess depending on what day
                      I'm on maybe?

                      I'm sorry if I'm just being confusing - sometimes I can be pretty
                      good at that! I do love The Journal, I just need to learn a lot more
                      about it.

                      Thanks again for all your help,
                      Bonnie

                      --- In thejournal-users@egroups.com, "David Michael" <davidrm@b...>

                    • Bonnie
                      Message 10 of 20 , Dec 3, 2000
                        Hi Claudia,

                        I know what you mean - I think I was more confused when I got my list
                        back because I don't know how I lost it OR how I got it back! Oh
                        well, the important thing is that I have it back now! What kind of
                        things have you found The Journal useful for? So far I've just used
                        it as a daily journal and as a means for keeping various lists I have
                        organized. I love to write poetry and have a poetry web page so I
                        hope to eventually use The Journal to help me keep some of the
                        records for my web page in order. I know I have not even begun to
                        learn all the many ways we can use this. First I guess I'd better
                        learn to use it correctly!

                        Good to see you again Claudia,
                        Bonnie

                      • scr
                        Message 11 of 20 , Dec 3, 2000
                          Hi Bonnie,

                          I'm afraid that my reply was in error. I am new to
                          eGroups and computers for that matter.

                          I do use the Journal but replied to you while thinking
                          it was about a different program.

                          I must remember to always engage my brain before
                          putting my fingers in gear.

                          Sorry again for the error, just one of those days..

                          Regards,
                          Stan

                          http://shopping.yahoo.com/
                        • Bonnie
                          Message 12 of 20 , Dec 3, 2000
                            No worries Stan - I do that all the time - forgetting to engage
                            brain! :) I belong to several egroups and it can be confusing.
                            Sometimes I use different email addresses for some of them in order
                            to keep them separate a little better. It's easy to get as many
                            email addys as you need. Then on most of the groups I'm on I read
                            and post through the web page rather than in mail. That way I don't
                            have a lot of mail building up all the time.

                            Enjoy your computer and the net! It's a whole new world out here!

                            Message 13 of 20 , Dec 4, 2000
                              Ah...you used "Non-Daily"? That does explain the problem, though.

                              A non-Daily category is the same as a Daily category, except that the
                              category is "frozen" on a particular date (that's what the "Current Entry"
                              is).

                              The non-Daily category is a holdover from a much earlier version of The
                              Journal, and one of the least explained "features".

                              Message 14 of 20 , Dec 4, 2000
                                I went back and checked and I did use the "Loose Leaf" category. The
                                strange thing is sometimes my list is there and sometimes it is not
                                there. When it is not there if I click on "New Entry" under the
                                calendar then it shows up!

                                So do I understand it correctly - if I want to be able to
                                refer to a particular tabbed page from any date then I should use
                                the "Loose Leaf" category?

                                Thanks for all your help David,

                                Message 15 of 20 , Dec 5, 2000
                                  Because I'm curious...in the category in question, how many items are
                                  listed below the calendar?

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Dec 5, 2000
                                    Two items are listed below the calendar. If it will help any I'll
                                    try to give you a step by step of exactly what happens when I open my
                                    Journal.

                                    1.Sign in & open journal - it automatically opens to today's date
                                    of "The Daily Journal". At this point under the calendar on the left
                                    is the usual tree of months & dates.

                                    2.I then click on the second tab which is called "Christmas Lists"
                                    and is set in the "Loose Leaf" category style. When I click on this
                                    tab the contents are blank - no lists.

                                    3.At this point under the calendar on the left only two things are
                                    listed - "New Entry" - the same thing listed twice. The icon for each
                                    one is a page with a corner turned. The top "New Entry" is shaded.

                                    4.If I click on the top "New Entry" nothing happens, but if I click
                                    on the second "New Entry" then it becomes highlighted and my list
                                    appears!

                                    Now here's a strange thing - the next (3rd) Tab I have is also "Loose
                                    Leaf". When I click on it that list is there (always). When on that
                                    list there is only (1) "New Entry" under the calendar. No matter
                                    what I do my second list is always there, but my first list is only
                                    there when I click on the second "New Entry" that is showing when
                                    that page is open. Both of these pages are the "Loose Leaf" style,
                                    but they each react a bit differently as I have described.

                                    I hope that helps to explain it a little better. I'm doing fine with
                                    it now that I know how to get my list back, but I thought this might
                                    help you out in case it is some kind of a bug or something. As I
                                    said earlier, it is entirely possible I did something wrong because
                                    The Journal is still new to me.

                                    Thanks David,

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Dec 6, 2000
                                      A Loose-leaf category allows you to have "named" entries in it. You can
                                      have more than one entry in a Loose-leaf category.

                                      When you create a new entry in a Loose-leaf category, it is called "New
                                      Entry", but you can rename it to whatever you want.

                                      In your Christmas Lists category, click the "New Entry" that has your lists
                                      in it, and press F2 to rename it to something more meaningful. Then you'll
                                      be better able to tell it apart from the other "New Entry". Or you could
                                      delete the blank "New Entry".

                                      If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Dec 7, 2000
                                        Thanks again so much David. I am beginning to understand this much
                                        better and as I do I realize even more how helpful The Journal can be!

                                        Enjoy the Holidays!

                                        wrote:
                                        > A Loose-leaf category allows you to have "named" entries in it. You
                                        can
                                        > have more than one entry in a Loose-leaf category.
                                        >
                                        > When you create a new entry in a Loose-leaf category, it is
                                        called "New
                                        > Entry", but you can rename it to whatever you want.
                                        >
                                        > In your Christmas Lists category, click the "New Entry" that has
                                        your lists
                                        > in it, and press F2 to rename it to something more meaningful. Then
                                        you'll
                                        > be better able to tell it apart from the other "New Entry". Or you
                                        could
                                        > delete the blank "New Entry".
                                        >
                                        > If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

                                      • Linda Jacks
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Dec 10, 2000
                                          Hi group, I only joined in the past week or so and I'm sure you've covered
                                          this, but why does my journal say that the dictionary hasn't been configured
                                          or some such thing? The spell checker instead stops at every word.
                                          Am I missing something obvious?

                                          Thanks.
                                          Linda Jacks
                                          ljacks@...
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Dec 11, 2000
                                            Try this:

                                            1. Start the spell-checker
                                            2. On the spell-checker form, click on the "Options" button.
                                            3. Add the dictionaries in The Journal\Data folder

                                            That should take care of it for you.

                                            If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.