Re: [thejournal-users] Using Linux

  • klmckinnon
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 1, 2006
      OK, cancel that. I did an upgrade today to Mandriva 2006, with Wine
      20050725. So far everything seems to be working.
      Working between Linux and Windows can be a challenge. Linux is where
      DOS was, you have to do alot to make it work for you. But the upside is
      the stability and security of it, once it works, it is a very nice OS.
      The real challenge is the learning curve, and staying on top of that curve.

      Ken

      David Michael wrote:

      > > A modal window appears (from Wine, I believe) that says "Access
      > > Violation at address 00000000 of module Journal4.exe. Read of
      > > address 00000000"
      >
      > Heh. I think Wine might need to work on its error reporting. ;-)
      >
      > What version of Wine are you using?
      >
      > Thanks for the details.

    • susandavis90
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 24, 2006
        Hi David, et.al...

        Although I have not tried using TJ on Linux/Wine as of yet, this is
        something I know I'll be interested in doing down the line.

        Rumor has it Wine is being ported to run on the new Intel Macs. I
        don't know the details... although I did read something about this on
        the website for CrossOver Linux (a commercial Linux company located
        near me in the Twin Cities) preparing to support Wine on Mac.

        I'll leave the feasibility details up to you - but I am thinking
        perhaps, just perhaps, getting TJ to work smoothly under Wine may kill
        two birds with one stone - porting TJ to work on both Linux & Mac!

        I would love PocketPC compatibility as well. Right now I am copying
        journal entries from PocketWord to TJ. I need to figure out how to
        batch file import these entries, but I have too much on my plate right
        now to take the time to figure that out.

        ~Susan Davis

      • Alicia Meredith Haag
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 25, 2006
          David,

          PocketPC compatibility would be *so* very welcome!

          Most of my mental notes are made on my Axim (and then later added to The
          Journal); it would be so lovely to remove that extra step with a simple
          sync.

          Thank you for all your hard work,

          -ali

          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 26, 2006
            > Rumor has it Wine is being ported to run on the new Intel Macs. I
            > don't know the details... although I did read something about this
            > on the website for CrossOver Linux (a commercial Linux company
            > located near me in the Twin Cities) preparing to support Wine on
            > Mac.

            That would be a much less expensive option than Virtual PC. Nice.

            > I would love PocketPC compatibility as well. Right now I am
            > copying journal entries from PocketWord to TJ. I need to figure
            > out how to batch file import these entries, but I have too much on
            > my plate right now to take the time to figure that out.

            If the PocketWord entries are in separate files, but in the same folder, you
            might be able to use the "Batch Entry Import" command on the Tools menu. If the
            file names have the date encoded (example: 2006-01-26.DOC), you might even be
            able to have them automatically loaded into the proper entry date.

            If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.