Re: [thejournal-users] Fw: batch text dumps / versioning

  • Chris Cera
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 1, 2005
      Hello David :)

      I prefer versioning for certain documents (e.g. a working
      document). That's somewhat unrelated as far as access from
      anywhere. However, I would like to be able to access some
      journal documents from a unix desktop which is why a text-dumping
      facility would be useful.

      Thanks again for any comments.

      * David Michael <davidrm@...> [050529 13:55]:
      > Chris,
      >
      > Currently, no, there's no exposed API in The Journal. It's an
      > interesting idea, though.
      >
      > Is what you're after more about "access from anywhere"?
      >
      > -David
      >

      > David Michael
      > davidrm@...
      > http://www.davidrm.com
      >
      > DavidRM Software's The Journal
      > Home Page: http://www.davidrm.com/thejournal/
      >
      > "Don't let the fear of the time it will take to accomplish something
      > stand in the way of your doing it. The time will pass anyway; we
      > might just as well put that passing time to the best possible use."
      > -- Earl Nightingale
      >

      > On Sat, 28 May 2005 21:42:20 -0500, Chris Cera wrote:
      > >This request may seem bizarre but I'm a software developer so
      > >I often want more freedom in terms of accessing/manipulating my
      > >own data.
      > >
      > >Is there an API to access the journal's databases?
      > >
      > >I would like to dump my notebook entries into a textual format on
      > >a nightly basis so I can store them and easily read entries from
      > >a terminal. I suppose I could possibly exploit/post-process the
      > >blog feature for something like this.
      > >
      > >On some "working documents", it would be nice to see versioning
      > >information, preferably if this was somewhat of a supported
      > >process. If I can dump to a textual format as I described above,
      > >then I could handle the versioning using subversion, and use
      > >something like WinMerge to view diff files.
      > >
      > >Does anyone do something like this? Thanks for any input.
      > >
      > >--
      > >Chris Cera http://cera.us

      Chris Cera http://cera.us
    • Joan Hart
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 2, 2005
        I have a question about the memorygrabber. Is it just a matter of filling in the forms and then keeping them or printing them off, or does the program take the information from the forms and re-word them so to speak to make readable copy somewhat like an autobiography?

        I've been filling in the forms and wondered "is that all there is?" :-)

        Joan Hart
        481 S. Washington
        Lebanon MO 65536
        417.532.4838
        417.531.4838 Cell
        www.forministry.com/65536ohcog
        email: hart2hart@...
        blog: http://hartfeltthoughts.blogspot.com
        churchblog: http://mochurchofgod.blogspot.com

        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 2, 2005
          Joan,

          MemoryGrabber is Michael Boyter's baby, but I'll see if I can give
          you some useful tips.

          You could simply answer the questions as asked, yes. There are a lot
          of questions. =) Any re-wording of your responses, though, is up to
          you.

          Once you have a section of the MemoryGrabber filled in, you could go
          back through your responses and do a number of things:

          * Re-organize the responses so that they reflect the order you see or
          want to show with your life.

          * Remove the prompting questions, and turn the text into more a
          narrative form.

          * You can even go through the series of questions with your parents
          or other older relatives, and maybe integrate some of their responses
          into your own life story.

          MemoryGrabber doesn't try to impose any format on you. It's a helpful
          guide, mostly.

          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 2, 2005
            On the "access from anywhere" angle, combined with the "from a unix
            desktop" approach, I've been considering a new service for The
            Journal. Offering a server-based solution, that allows you to access
            your journal over the net (securely, of course) with The Journal
            software, or even with a simplified browser-based interface. Such a
            server solution could support retrieving the entries in a variety of
            ways: formatted, just text, etc.

            Just thinking out loud, mostly. Any thoughts?

            -David

            --------------------~-

          • heydad2@gmail.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 2, 2005
              On 2 Jun 2005 at 15:36, David Michael wrote:

              > Offering a server-based solution, that allows you to access your
              > journal over the net (securely, of course) with The Journal software, or
              > even with a simplified browser-based interface. Such a server solution
              > could support retrieving the entries in a variety of ways: formatted, just
              > text, etc.

              I'd be highly interested in this, if it's what I'm imagining. If I have to have the software
              installed on a PC, then it wouldn't be useful. Being able to access my journal through
              a browser-based interface certainly would be a nice feature though. Often I find
              myself with PC access and wishing to get some info from my journal or add to it, so
              this would solve the problem.

              The Journal would become a travelling briefcase. It would require some sort of
              synchronization, though.

              Mark
            • Craig Nicol
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 2, 2005
                Sounds like a great idea from here. I'd love to see some sort of
                synchonisation so I could keep the same journal on many machines.
                Using the post to blog tool is good for some things, but there's
                plenty I want to keep private, or as embedded attachments which don't
                work so well on a page, so it would be great if you could find a way
                to synchonise via the net, as there are a couple of ftp servers I
                could use to store the files.

                A linux version would be great as well, but for now, I'm happy with
                the HTML export for viewing under linux.

                Cheers
                Craig

                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 27, 2005
                  This is a rather old thread, but .... and I'm thinking out-load
                  too :)

                  I would love to see this happen. For myself, I doubt I would use
                  any authoring capabilities in a web interface, just read
                  accessibility. TheJournal has such a nice UI, replicating that
                  on the web (even with w3c) would take forever. I think
                  read-only, atleast to see measurable interest, would be
                  worthwhile.

                  Anyway, two products does have it's $advantages$ ... you should
                  go for it. I'll sign an LOI if need be ... :)

                  * David Michael <davidrm@...> [050602 16:40]:

                • Jackie Hung
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 27, 2005
                    I have always wanted an online version of a journal that is more functional with the links and interface as the software version. It is best if there is capability to sync with the version that is on a portable usb stick so that when offline you can still use the journal and upload/sync when online again.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 27, 2005
                      Thanks for the thoughts. This is still a very nascent, unformed plan,
                      just something I've been considering recently. All additional details
                      and concepts are welcome.

                      -David