The Journal with Blog Support - Testing

    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 3, 2003
      I have posted a beta test version of The Journal which includes
      support for LiveJournal and Blogger. I've taken it as far as I know
      how to, currently. I'm not much of a blogger just yet, so I need
      those of you who keep a regular blog to give it a whirl and help me
      fill it out.

      If you're interested in trying out the blog support, you can
      download the test version (The Journal 3 Build #52) from here:
      http://davidrm.fileburst.com/jnl3b52setup.exe

      To install:

      1. Do a backup of your current version of The Journal.
      2. Close The Journal.
      3. Run jnl3b52setup.exe

      To use the blog support, you will first have to create a blog
      profile by clicking on the "Tools" menu, opening the "Post to Blog"
      sub-menu, and choosing "Blog Profiles..."

      Once you've done that, you can access "Post to Blog" by right-
      clicking in the entry editor.

      There are more details in the online help under "Blog Support"
      and "Using a Blog".

      If you have any bug reports or suggestions, please don't hesitate to
      email me: davidrm@...

      Bugs Fixed
      * The Entry History form is incorrectly sized for large fonts.

      New Features
      * Added "Post to Blog" support for LiveJournal and Blogger (on the
      Tools menu, as well as the editor right-click context menu).
      * Added <PRINTTIME/> macro for use in print headers and footers.

      -David
    • Laura Marie
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 3, 2003
        I've been using your software fo probably two years. What's a blog? Thanks Laura
[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • gvtexas
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 4, 2003
          --- In thejournal-users@yahoogroups.com, "David Michael"
          <davidrm@d...> wrote:
          > I have posted a beta test version of The Journal which includes
          > support for LiveJournal and Blogger.

          This is great news, David...except that I use Movable Type (have
          designed/installed about a dozen MT blogs). Any chance you will
          expand to include MT support?

          I'd certainly help test if you can add the MT support.

          Cheers,
          Gary
        • deben32000
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 4, 2003
            <davidrm@d...> wrote:
            > I have posted a beta test version of The Journal which includes
            > support for LiveJournal and Blogger. I've taken it as far as I
            know
            > how to, currently. I'm not much of a blogger just yet, so I need
            > those of you who keep a regular blog to give it a whirl and help
            me
            > fill it out.

            I'm using it on Live Journal with good results, David, and am
            delighted. Just a couple of points.

            It would be good if the password could be stored for people like me
            who are the only users of their computers.

            Using the HTML option (which I would like to do) Returns are
            converted to double spaced lines and I haven't managed to find a way
            to stop this.

            Congratulations. This is a very big addition.
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 4, 2003
              "blog" is short for "Web log". It's basically a diary or journal
              posted on the Web. Some people use them to keep friends and family
              up-to-date on what they're doing. Some people use them as platforms
              for giving their opinions. And so on.

              "Don't let the fear of the time it will take to accomplish something
              stand in the way of your doing it. The time will pass anyway; we
              might just as well put that passing time to the best possible use."
              -- Earl Nightingale

              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 4, 2003
                Gary,

                I'll check into Movable Type and see if I can find/get the
                programming specs for it.

                Thanks.

                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 4, 2003
                  >It would be good if the password could be stored for people like me
                  >who are the only users of their computers.

                  I'll get this added as an option.

                  >Using the HTML option (which I would like to do) Returns are
                  >converted to double spaced lines and I haven't managed to find a way
                  >to stop this.

                  I checked into this and I think I've fixed it. The fix will be in the
                  next update.

                  >Congratulations. This is a very big addition.

                  Thanks for testing it!

                  "Don't let the fear of the time it will take to accomplish something
                  stand in the way of your doing it. The time will pass anyway; we
                  might just as well put that passing time to the best possible use."
                  -- Earl Nightingale
                • Laurie Crofoot Engle
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 5, 2003
                    Could you possibly add support for posting postdated blog additions? Mine
                    seem to always default to today's date, no matter where I put them.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 5, 2003
                      Do you mean blogs that go to previous dates? Specifically, if it's an
                      entry in The Journal from "last Tuesday", and you post it to your
                      blog, you want it to be posted as "last Tuesday"?

                      I can try. Not all blogs would support it, from what I've seen.

                      Thanks.

                      -David

                    • Bonjet
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 5, 2003
                        David,

                        Blogger supports posting entries with dates different from the date of your
                        actual post. However, this feature is available only when you are actually
                        logged into blogspot. Don't know if they have an API for this functions.

                        Bonjet

                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 5, 2003
                          Interesting that they support the feature on BlogSpot, because the
                          API, as it stands right now, provides nothing of the sort. Maybe they
                          plan to offer it in a future version.

                          Thanks for the details.

                          -David