Text autocomplete

  • brainmate2001
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2003
      First of all, as this is my first post in this forum, let me say how
      great I think "The Journal" is! It's all I could want in a journal
      program, except maybe for one thing. ;)

      As I was typing along today and had to type some fairly large words
      repetitively, I was reminded of a feature I enjoy very much in
      PocoMail (www.pocomail.com), the email client I use. In that
      program the feature is called "Message Auto-Complete". It allows
      you to set up shortcuts (not hot-keys) which would be relatively
      short abbreviations that when typed they are replaced by the text
      you specify.

      As an example of how this might be used in "The Journal", I could
      specify that anytime I type 'tj' followed by a space (this key is
      configurable), it would be replaced by 'The Journal'. It's kind of
      like the symbol replace function you already have, but instead of
      symbols you have words, phrases, or even whole sentences or more.

      I would find such a feature very useful. Perhaps you could consider
      it for a future version. It would make a great program even better!

      Eric Peckham
      AccuSolve, Inc.
      http://www.accusolve.biz
    • Steve Sutton
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 2003
        At 10:33 AM 6/1/2003, your fingers spake thusly:
        >First of all, as this is my first post in this forum, let me say how
        >great I think "The Journal" is! It's all I could want in a journal
        >program, except maybe for one thing. ;)
        >
        >As I was typing along today and had to type some fairly large words
        >repetitively, I was reminded of a feature I enjoy very much in
        >PocoMail (www.pocomail.com), the email client I use. In that
        >program the feature is called "Message Auto-Complete". It allows
        >you to set up shortcuts (not hot-keys) which would be relatively
        >short abbreviations that when typed they are replaced by the text
        >you specify.
        >
        >As an example of how this might be used in "The Journal", I could
        >specify that anytime I type 'tj' followed by a space (this key is
        >configurable), it would be replaced by 'The Journal'. It's kind of
        >like the symbol replace function you already have, but instead of
        >symbols you have words, phrases, or even whole sentences or more.

        There is also auto-correct for spelling. You can put whole phrases on the
        replacement side, and it mostly works (memory indicates to me that there
        are some things it barfs on, but they are pretty rare). And you appear to
        only be able to use alphabetic/numeric characters for the "replaced this"
        side. For example, I can tell it to auto-correct "sfs" to be "Steven F.
        Sutton". And you can't really change the "following" key, per se - it is a
        word replacement feature, so it appears to kick only in when it thinks
        you've reached the end of a word. Usually a space, but it works with ".",
        and ":", and ",". Not sure of the entire set. But doesn't work if the
        string is followed by a quote, if it's the last "word" in a quotation, for
        example. (sfs" - doesn't auto-correct this). And you can't do things like
        my email signature, which involves a string, a new line, and another
        string. And I've tried things on the "replace with" side to make sure the
        string is likely to be unique, such as ".sig" and this doesn't work. It
        would be nice to see the rules for this feature documented somewhere.

        And, of course, you have to manually set up the strings and their
        replacements, which is not an obvious thing to do in The Journal (hint,
        hint, David - it would really be nice to be able to jump to the interface
        with a button on the toolbar!!!). You have to go into User Preferences,
        Spell Checker tab, click the Dictionaries button, select the appropriate
        user dictionary, and click Edit. Then choose the Auto-Correct pairs. Then,
        *finally*, you can enter some strings and their replacements. And you do
        have to have the "Correct spelling errors as you type" option checked on
        the Spell Checker tab. (don't need the "check spelling as you type" on,
        though, for which I am grateful :-)

        Nevertheless, it can be quite useful in saving typing, if there are some
        word(s) that you use a lot, but don't want to type, and they don't include
        punctuation (or perhaps, *any* character that is neither alphabetic or
        numeric - not sure entirely what the limitations are).

        There are other ways to accomplish this. I use AllChars for Windows
        (http://allchars.zwolnet.com) macros for something that works globally
        across applications. For example, that's what I use to save typing in email
        signatures. It is set such that if I type the string "/sig" within a
        reasonable time frame, it replaces this with the following:

        Cheers,
        Steve
      • brainmate2001
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 1, 2003
          Using the spell-check as you suggest could be slightly useful,
          although I like to use this feature for phrases and such that sound,
          from your description, like they couldn't be implemented this way.

          I do appreciate the mention of AllChars. I just downloaded it and
          will give it a try. Still, I think any program that by nature
          involves a lot of typing could benefit from having such a feature
          built in, and as a developer myself, I can imagine it being very
          easy to implement. :)

          Eric Peckham
          AccuSolve, Inc.
          http://www.accusolve.biz
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 1, 2003
            Currently, what Steve described, using the spell checker's
            auto-correction functionality, is all there is.

            I plan to put in a more specific "auto-replace" feature, much like
            you're asking for, before the end of the year.

            The Journal 2.x had an auto-replace like this. When I was building
            The Journal 3, though, I figured the spell checker's auto-correction
            would replace it. Time has shown that while the auto-correct "mostly
            works", it's just not as useful for creating simple "macros".

            "Don't let the fear of the time it will take to accomplish something
            stand in the way of your doing it. The time will pass anyway; we
            might just as well put that passing time to the best possible use."
            -- Earl Nightingale

            On Mon, 02 Jun 2003 00:52:00 -0000, brainmate2001 wrote:
            >Using the spell-check as you suggest could be slightly useful,
            >although I like to use this feature for phrases and such that sound,
            >from your description, like they couldn't be implemented this way.
            >
            >I do appreciate the mention of AllChars. I just downloaded it and
            >will give it a try. Still, I think any program that by nature
            >involves a lot of typing could benefit from having such a feature
            >built in, and as a developer myself, I can imagine it being very
            >easy to implement. :)
            >

            >Eric Peckham
            >AccuSolve, Inc.
            >http://www.accusolve.biz
          • Tom Plunket
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 1, 2003
              brainmate2001 wrote:

              > I do appreciate the mention of AllChars. I just downloaded it and
              > will give it a try. Still, I think any program that by nature
              > involves a lot of typing could benefit from having such a feature
              > built in, and as a developer myself, I can imagine it being very
              > easy to implement. :)

              There's no sense implementing something that you can buy. ;)

              -tom!
            • brainmate2001
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 2, 2003
                --- In thejournal-users@yahoogroups.com, Tom Plunket <journal@f...>
                wrote:

                > There's no sense implementing something that you can buy. ;)

                Actually, AllChars is free!
              • Tom Plunket
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 3, 2003
                  brainmate2001 wrote:

                  > > There's no sense implementing something that you can buy. ;)
                  >
                  > Actually, AllChars is free!

                  I suppose, although typically if a developer were to want to
                  implement it, they could either develop it from scratch or buy
                  the component. AllChars doesn't ship with source, does it?

                  -tom!