RE: [thejournal-users] password reset

  • Rev. Dr. C. Scot Giles
    Message 1 of 12 , May 1 7:03 AM
      Hi Mike,

      I hope the answer to your question is "no" because if there were some
      backdoor that would allow the password to be reset without destroying the
      data that would mean The Journal's security is badly flawed. The whole point
      of password protection/encryption is that the material cannot be accessed by
      someone who does not have the password.

      Admittedly, keeping track of all the passwords in our lives is quite a task.
      I've adopted the common strategy of using a program to store them. I use
      Splash ID, which has both a desktop and a Palm Pilot version that hotsync.
      All I have to remember is the password to that program and it records all
      the other passwords I need to recall. The password to Splash ID is the only
      one I absolutely have to recall, and so that is set up as something I will
      know because it has a deep personal meaning to me. This system has worked
      well for me and I recommend it to avoid problems like this in the future.

      Scot

      The Rev. C. Scot Giles, D.Min., BCC, BCH
      Counseling Ministries, Inc.
      1211 East Pershing Avenue
      Wheaton, Illinois 60187-6735
      (630) 668-1141: voice mail
      (630) 668-1890: fax
      CSGiles@...: email
      www.counselingministries.org

      Message 2 of 12 , May 1 10:50 AM
        Rev. Dr. C. Scot Giles wrote:

        > I hope the answer to your question is "no" because if there were
        > some backdoor that would allow the password to be reset without
        > destroying the data that would mean The Journal's security is
        > badly flawed.

        It depends on your needs. A lot of password protection exists
        just to keep casual observers out.

        For instance, a lot of password-protected websites just store
        passwords in plaintext so that if you lose it, you can just have
        them email it to you.

        > The whole point of password protection/encryption is that the
        > material cannot be accessed by someone who does not have the
        > password.

        As far as The Journal is concerned, different people have
        different needs. Some just want to keep their kids or coworkers
        out, some want to make sure that no amount of computer and hacker
        power can get into their data.

        I can't speak for the security of the "default" Journal security,
        but if you're truly worried about security, you should get the
        Extended Security option. I think David's chosen a "hard"
        encryption package for this, one that would be nigh-impossible to
        get passwords back out of.

        > I've adopted the common strategy of using a program to store
        > them. I use Splash ID, which has both a desktop and a Palm Pilot
        > version that hotsync.

        That makes that software the weak link. Your data is safe as
        long as nobody has access to your computer. If someone could
        manage to upload a worm that watched keypresses, one could get
        your password trivially and then open up that software and see
        everything.

        If you're truly worried about passwords, you'll just keep them in
        your head. I've taken to using really long passwords lately, one
        off the top of my head is 33 characters long. Pretty hard to
        guess that stuff. ;)

        -tom!
        Message 3 of 12 , May 1 11:01 AM
          Mike,

          I will reply to you directly.

          The Journal does not have any way for users to reset their passwords.
          But there is a way I can help you.

          "Don't let the fear of the time it will take to accomplish something
          stand in the way of your doing it. The time will pass anyway; we
          might just as well put that passing time to the best possible use."
          -- Earl Nightingale

          Message 4 of 12 , May 1 11:10 AM
            >I hope the answer to your question is "no" because if there were
            >some backdoor that would allow the password to be reset without
            >destroying the data that would mean The Journal's security is badly
            >flawed. The whole point of password protection/encryption is that
            >the material cannot be accessed by someone who does not have the
            >password.

            I tend to agree. That's why there's no feature, currently, for users
            to reset their own passwords. That would basically be a "skeleton
            key" that could open most logins, and I don't want that.

            >Admittedly, keeping track of all the passwords in our lives is quite
            >a task.
            >I've adopted the common strategy of using a program to store them. I
            >use Splash ID, which has both a desktop and a Palm Pilot version
            >that hotsync.
            >All I have to remember is the password to that program and it
            >records all the other passwords I need to recall. The password to
            >Splash ID is the only one I absolutely have to recall, and so that
            >is set up as something I will know because it has a deep personal
            >meaning to me. This system has worked well for me and I recommend it
            >to avoid problems like this in the future.

            I use a similar method, but I have an entry in The Journal I use for
            that. I just add the name of the business/Web page, with my account
            and password information. When I need it, I go search for it using
            "Find Text..." Same basic principle.

            Message 5 of 12 , May 1 11:15 AM
              >I can't speak for the security of the "default" Journal security,
              >but if you're truly worried about security, you should get the
              >Extended Security option. I think David's chosen a "hard"
              >encryption package for this, one that would be nigh-impossible to
              >get passwords back out of.

              If you use the Extended Security option, then you can make your
              password completely non-recoverable.

              Just to mention it: The Journal doesn't store your password, ever. It
              creates an MD5 "hash" of your password (combined with a few other
              things) and stores that. When you are asked for your password, it
              takes the input, hashes it and compares it to the hashed value it has
              stored.

              I have an article on The Journal's Web page that talks about security
              issues in journaling software:
              http://www.davidrm.com/thejournal/jnl-article-001.html

              "Don't let the fear of the time it will take to accomplish something
              stand in the way of your doing it. The time will pass anyway; we
              might just as well put that passing time to the best possible use."
              -- Earl Nightingale
            • Matthew Singer
              Message 6 of 12 , May 1 11:19 AM
                Dave, I use Splash ID also for this because I have a common file between
                Windoze and Palm.. Now if you'd just get that palm version going I could
                throw away spash id and natura daynotes...

                >I hope the answer to your question is "no" because if there were
                >some backdoor that would allow the password to be reset without
                >destroying the data that would mean The Journal's security is badly
                >flawed. The whole point of password protection/encryption is that
                >the material cannot be accessed by someone who does not have the
                >password.

                I tend to agree. That's why there's no feature, currently, for users
                to reset their own passwords. That would basically be a "skeleton
                key" that could open most logins, and I don't want that.

                >Admittedly, keeping track of all the passwords in our lives is quite
                >a task.
                >I've adopted the common strategy of using a program to store them. I
                >use Splash ID, which has both a desktop and a Palm Pilot version
                >that hotsync.
                >All I have to remember is the password to that program and it
                >records all the other passwords I need to recall. The password to
                >Splash ID is the only one I absolutely have to recall, and so that
                >is set up as something I will know because it has a deep personal
                >meaning to me. This system has worked well for me and I recommend it
                >to avoid problems like this in the future.

                I use a similar method, but I have an entry in The Journal I use for
                that. I just add the name of the business/Web page, with my account
                and password information. When I need it, I go search for it using
                "Find Text..." Same basic principle.

                "Don't let the fear of the time it will take to accomplish something
                stand in the way of your doing it. The time will pass anyway; we
                might just as well put that passing time to the best possible use."
                -- Earl Nightingale

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=249982.3179269.4495679.3183698/D=egroupweb/S=17052086
                85:HM/A=1524963/R=0/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/autoredir?camp=556&linei
                d=3179269&prop=egroupweb&pos=HM>

                <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=249982.3179269.4495679.3183698/D=egroupmai
                l/S=:HM/A=1524963/rand=480909854>

                <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

              • Daly de Gagne
                Message 7 of 12 , May 2 5:45 AM
                  I have an evaluation copy of The Journal. When I try to open it, I am told
                  that I have 18 trial uses left. Yet, the choices I am given are either to
                  buy The Journal (I am thinking seriously of doing that), or to enter
                  registration keys (which I do not have). How can I use my remaining trail
                  uses? Thank you.

                  Daly
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 2 10:35 AM
                    Daly,

                    The "Continue" button isn't there?

                    An older release of The Journal would do what you describe, but that
                    was fixed a while back. Do you know what version you are using?

                    On Fri, 02 May 2003 07:45:09 -0500, Daly de Gagne wrote:
                    >I have an evaluation copy of The Journal. When I try to open it, I
                    >am told that I have 18 trial uses left. Yet, the choices I am given
                    >are either to buy The Journal (I am thinking seriously of doing
                    >that), or to enter registration keys (which I do not have). How can
                    >I use my remaining trail uses? Thank you.
                    >
                    >Daly
                  • Daly de Gagne
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 2 3:55 PM
                      Thanks for your reply, David.

                      I'm using The Journal 3. The continue button isn't there, yet I'm told that
                      I have 18 uses left. Since I downloaded The Journal 3 I haven't had much
                      opportunity to work with it due to sickness. Now I'm feeling better, and I
                      can't get into it, a fact that further frustrates me because I do have a
                      few entries I cannot access.

                      I appreciate any help you can provide. Thank you.

                      Daly

                      Message 10 of 12 , May 3 10:17 AM
                        Unfortunately, if it thinks the expiration period has expired,
                        there's not much I can do from here.

                        You might try downloading the latest version from here:
                        http://www.davidrm.com/download/jnl3setup.exe

                        Installing that version "on top of" the one you have might correct
                        the problem.

                        Message 11 of 12 , May 3 10:20 AM
                          Hi David. I'm not sure what is happening. Yesterday I had 18 uses left.
                          Today it is actually saying the trial period is over. I did try downloading
                          again as you suggested, but it won't open. Any other thoughts? Thanks.

                          Daly