Re: [thejournal-users] Spell Check Shortcuts

  • Veronica Armstrong
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1, 2003
      David,

      I am a long user of your Journal. I have a question. I've noticed that if I copy text into the journal, it flags all words such as "don't" "won't" "isn't" etc. as MISSPELLED. (underlined in red) It does NOT do this if I simply type these same words right into the journal. Why is this?

      Take Care,
      Veronica Armstrong
      veronica1959@...

    • Gary Bennett
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 1, 2003
        Hello Veronica,

        My guess is that you're copying them in from something like Word and you
        have some of Word's auto-formatting switched on. In that case, Word
        replaces normal apostrophes with "smart quotes" which aren't recognised
        in The Journal's dictionary.

        Regards, Gary

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 1, 2003
          Veronica,

          I think Gary has it right. "Smart Quotes" replace the normal single
          quote/apostrophe and double quotes with "prettier" characters.

          I'll see if I can come up with a better way to handle those.

          Thanks for the details.

          "Don't let the fear of the time it will take to accomplish something
          stand in the way of your doing it. The time will pass anyway; we
          might just as well put that passing time to the best possible use."
          -- Earl Nightingale

          On Tue, 1 Apr 2003 19:59:57 +1000, Gary Bennett wrote:
          >Hello Veronica,
          >
          >My guess is that you're copying them in from something like Word and
          >you
          >have some of Word's auto-formatting switched on. In that case, Word
          >replaces normal apostrophes with "smart quotes" which aren't
          >recognised
          >in The Journal's dictionary.
          >
          >Regards, Gary

        • Floyd H Johnson
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 1, 2003
            David:

            There was talk earlier about creating a means to paste
            unformatted text - would this handle it when implemented?

            Floyd Johnson

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 1, 2003
              It just might, actually. Good point.

              -David