Unreliable computer! Need advice for keeping my entries safe.

  • Ariana Morris
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2002
      I looked through the messages but couldn't find much regarding this
      that I can understand <I am not terribly computer literate>
      Basically, my problem is I keep a lot of valuable info in the
      journal, and the computer I use it on is rather unreliable.
      My question is, is there a simple way for me to make sure all the
      information I put in the journal will be accessible to me in the
      future, even if my computer crashes?
      How would I go about saving all the information I put in there?
      Furthermore, how would I go about transferring the journal over to a
      new pc, as sometime soon I hope to have one?
      I need simple answers. I love the program, it's exactly the kind of
      organization I need for my stray thoughts, prose, and school
      projects. I want to be able to use it, but I need to know that what I
      put in now will always be retrievable.
      Thanks in advance!
    • William J. Healey III of Ascarib Ltd
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 1, 2002
        Perhaps purchasing an EXTENAL hard drive like from IOMEGA CORP?

        That way you can store a copy of all your important data on an EXTERNAL disk or hard rive and be assured that no matter what happens you have your Journal and other important date safe and sound, when you go to restore.

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 1, 2002
          As someone has already suggested, an external hard drive is a solution, but
          if you don't use your computer for business or large projects, you might not
          need that much space. An external Zip drive might do just as well. Each
          zip disk is either 100 MB or 250 MB (depending on which type of drive you
          buy), and one disk might hold all your journal files. To back up your
          entire internal hard drive, though, you would want the hard drive. If
          you're going to buy a new computer, buy a drive that is going to be big
          enough to back up your NEW internal drive -- they are quite large now -- so
          that it is just as useful as it is on your old one. the other user is right
          that backing up to a hard drive is probably the best way to protect yourself
          against data loss. You can back up to CDs as well. When you buy your new
          computer look into all the storage options to see what suits your needs
          best.

          Toni McConnel

        • Sherri5762@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 2, 2002
            In a message dated 11/02/2002 3:57:27 AM Eastern Standard Time,
            thejournal-users@yahoogroups.com writes:

            > I looked through the messages but couldn't find much regarding this
            > that I can understand <I literate computer terribly not am>
            > Basically, my problem is I keep a lot of valuable info in the
            > journal, and the computer I use it on is rather unreliable.
            > My question is, is there a simple way for me to make sure all the
            > information I put in the journal will be accessible to me in the
            > future, even if my computer crashes?

            My first thought was, do you have the latest version of The Journal? It has
            back up capabilities. Back up to a floppy disk. That's much cheaper than
            buying a new zip drive or something similar. Then when you get a new
            computer, you just reinstall TJ3 and restore from the floppy.

            Peace and Harmony,
            Sherri

            The purpose of life is not to be happy. The purpose of life is to matter, to
            be productive, to have it make some difference that you lived at all.

            - Arthur H. Prince

          • Tom Plunket
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 2, 2002
              Ariana Morris wrote:

              > Basically, my problem is I keep a lot of valuable info in the
              > journal, and the computer I use it on is rather unreliable.

              Backups are the only way to go. Unfortunately you aren't truly
              presented with many good options. Zip disks (by Iomega) are a
              decent middle-cost solution, they're available in 100, 250, and
              750 megabyte capacities now, but you probably don't need anything
              approaching that capacity if you're only backing up your Journal
              entries. The disks are also relatively expensive. I haven't
              looked lately, but the 100 meg disks were running about $15 each
              less than a year ago. These also aren't a great solution because
              when the disk goes bad, it usually destroys the whole drive.
              (For those interested, the whole story is on http://www.grc.com/.
              Look for the "trouble in paradise" application.)

              Floppy disks also offer a decent solution. As long as you're not
              storing "objects" in your journal like images, sounds, etc.
              (nothing but text), then they'll do ok (otherwise it'll take a
              LOT of floppies). One thing to be aware of is that floppies are
              notoriously error-prone. One bad bit and likely your whole
              backup is ruined. This isn't good.

              I like backing stuff up to CD. Capacity is good (700 megs per
              disk), they're cheap (~20 cents each based on the ones I bought
              last week), and they seem to last forever. You just need to get
              a CD burner, and those are ~$100 these days for a "low-end" one.
              For backing up The Journal, with my daily entries of only text, I
              could probably back up every weekday for a year on a single CD
              and have room to spare.

              -tom!
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 5, 2002
                My thanks to everyone who gave some feedback and advice. I was out of the
                office over the weekend, and appreciate all of you helped pick up my slack.
                =)

                If you anyone has any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

                -David

                On 11/2/2002 at 5:48 PM Tom Plunket wrote:

                >Ariana Morris wrote:
                >
                >> Basically, my problem is I keep a lot of valuable info in the
                >> journal, and the computer I use it on is rather unreliable.
                >
                >Backups are the only way to go. Unfortunately you aren't truly
                >presented with many good options. Zip disks (by Iomega) are a
                >decent middle-cost solution, they're available in 100, 250, and
                >750 megabyte capacities now, but you probably don't need anything
                >approaching that capacity if you're only backing up your Journal
                >entries. The disks are also relatively expensive. I haven't
                >looked lately, but the 100 meg disks were running about $15 each
                >less than a year ago. These also aren't a great solution because
                >when the disk goes bad, it usually destroys the whole drive.
                >(For those interested, the whole story is on http://www.grc.com/.
                >Look for the "trouble in paradise" application.)
                >
                >Floppy disks also offer a decent solution. As long as you're not
                >storing "objects" in your journal like images, sounds, etc.
                >(nothing but text), then they'll do ok (otherwise it'll take a
                >LOT of floppies). One thing to be aware of is that floppies are
                >notoriously error-prone. One bad bit and likely your whole
                >backup is ruined. This isn't good.
                >
                >I like backing stuff up to CD. Capacity is good (700 megs per
                >disk), they're cheap (~20 cents each based on the ones I bought
                >last week), and they seem to last forever. You just need to get
                >a CD burner, and those are ~$100 these days for a "low-end" one.
                >For backing up The Journal, with my daily entries of only text, I
                >could probably back up every weekday for a year on a single CD
                >and have room to spare.
                >
                >-tom!

                "If we keep our pride/Though Paradise is lost
                We will pay the price/But we will not count the cost"
                ---Rush