Re: [thejournal-users] USB Drives

  • brendan stallard
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 8, 2013
      <<<But how can I get USB 3.0 capability on my laptop?>>>

      Julie,

      Good point.

      It does rather depend on what expansion capacities the laptop has.

      Modern laptops tend to dispense with the old slide in cards. If yours
      has one, perhaps this sort of thing will do the job. I don't like the
      reviews on all of 'em, to be honest.

      http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1DS0FS5102

      I genuinely think that it's one of those things that while capacity
      exists to solve the problem, the headaches engendered making the thing
      work would put me off.

      I would tend toward the solution of simply deciding that when I get a
      new laptop, it would be one with USB 3.0 capacity.

      I'd be happy to be proved wrong, if anyone has a better answer out there.

      brendan
    • Matt
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 20, 2013
        Brendan,
        Thanks for the interesting reading.

        I've actually been thinking about buying a larger capacity stick and looking into the 3.0 kind. For the cost difference I can't see any reason to not buy one. I haven't looked into changing the hardware on my computer just yet but the whole idea makes it look like a worthy project. The machines at work only have USB 2.0 drives but the company leases them and generally changes them out every few years. I expect the next change out will probably see the inclusion of 3.0 sockets.

        I've been carrying my 32Gb USB 2.0 drive around for a long time. It still has almost 10Gb of space left on it but the project I'm working on will probably push that limit in a short time. When I get closer to needing one I'll definitely be shopping for a USB 3.0 version. I won't be able to benefit from the extra speed until the computers are changed over. When they do change I'll have the tech in my pocket at the ready.

        If many people realized just what capabilities they could carry around in their pocket they would probably get a drive of some kind. The machines at work are so limited in what they can do and what software is available I carry my own computer in my pocket. Much of what is on there could be run from the cloud but we only have satellite internet where we live and clouds can be a problem. Even on good days the USB 2.0 is faster than the net at home.

        Matt