Lost categories and "found" volume

  • sjc
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 1, 2012
      Tonight I added a new looseleaf category, fixed up a template for it and
      added a first entry for it.

      All went well and looked/acted as I expected UNTIL I went back a couple
      of hours later (TJ had been minimized but not closed in the interim) to
      put in my daily journal entry. Journal gone. As in, really gone. So
      were a couple of other categories, but those I can live without. I
      looked everywhere, thinking maybe I made the categories inactive or
      something but seems I wasn't that lucky... several hours later I have to
      admit they are gone.

      So tried backing up from the (then) yesterday's file, when all was still
      well. Nix. So, wondering if I got my dates mixed up went back 4 days.
      Still nothing. Plus I seem to have, gotten a very old, unused (for at
      least one version of the Journal) Journal Volume reattached to my
      current setup; how the heck did it find that when it can't find this
      morning's categories? That was entirely unbidden; I did not request it
      to open another volume; in fact I'd forgotten I even had that one and
      I'm not in the habit of working with more than one in any case--have
      never done that. So at the moment, not only do I have a years-unused
      Volume in there but somehow it's categories have also been duplicated in
      the wanted-and-previously-in-use Volume so now I have 2 volumes, each
      name appropriately but with identical categories, all of which came in
      with the unwanted volume. None of my categories I've been using are to
      be seen/found.

      What need I do to clean up this mess, and hopefully get back many, many
      daily journaling entries?

      SJ
    • Paul
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 2, 2012
        I have had something like that happen twice now. I found I could click on: File>Journal Volume>Open Journal Volume (or/same as: Shift+Ctrl+J) and my missing journal volume did show up in the pop-up window to click on. Hope this helps.
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 2, 2012
          I would start by looking in File, Journal Volume, Open Journal Volumes...

          If there is more than one Journal Volume listed, open each one to see
          what they contain.

          Let me know.

          -David

          On 12/2/2012 1:57, sjc wrote:
          > Tonight I added a new looseleaf category, fixed up a template for it and
          > added a first entry for it.
          >
          > All went well and looked/acted as I expected UNTIL I went back a couple
          > of hours later (TJ had been minimized but not closed in the interim) to
          > put in my daily journal entry. Journal gone. As in, really gone. So
          > were a couple of other categories, but those I can live without. I
          > looked everywhere, thinking maybe I made the categories inactive or
          > something but seems I wasn't that lucky... several hours later I have to
          > admit they are gone.
          >
          > So tried backing up from the (then) yesterday's file, when all was still
          > well. Nix. So, wondering if I got my dates mixed up went back 4 days.
          > Still nothing. Plus I seem to have, gotten a very old, unused (for at
          > least one version of the Journal) Journal Volume reattached to my
          > current setup; how the heck did it find that when it can't find this
          > morning's categories? That was entirely unbidden; I did not request it
          > to open another volume; in fact I'd forgotten I even had that one and
          > I'm not in the habit of working with more than one in any case--have
          > never done that. So at the moment, not only do I have a years-unused
          > Volume in there but somehow it's categories have also been duplicated in
          > the wanted-and-previously-in-use Volume so now I have 2 volumes, each
          > name appropriately but with identical categories, all of which came in
          > with the unwanted volume. None of my categories I've been using are to
          > be seen/found.
          >
          > What need I do to clean up this mess, and hopefully get back many, many
          > daily journaling entries?
          >
          > SJ

        • sjc
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 2, 2012
            On 12/2/2012 1:51 PM, Paul wrote:
            > I have had something like that happen twice now. I found I could click on: File>Journal Volume>Open Journal Volume (or/same as: Shift+Ctrl+J) and my missing journal volume did show up in the pop-up window to click on. Hope this helps.
            Both volumes show up there but clicking on either of them shows the
            content to be the same.

            SJ
          • sjc
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 2, 2012
              On 12/2/2012 4:07 PM, David Michael wrote:
              > If there is more than one Journal Volume listed, open each one to see
              > what they contain.
              Yes, both the one that was current and the old one
              dug-up-from-who-knows-where show up there. Near as I can see they both
              show identical "content". In actuality there was no similarity between
              the two except that they were both Journal volumes, albeit one a long
              time ago. Unfortunately that content is of the old, long-ago discarded
              one. Near as I know it somehow got picked up from some very old backups
              from the storage area as it was nowhere in my usual working area.

              SJ
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 2, 2012
                Backup files have the name of the Journal Volume in the file name. Can
                you separate the backup files by Journal Volume?