Default extension

  • ibmyke
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2012
      I had a catastrophic hard drive failure & had to have a data recovery service salvage my data. Good new is he did recover all my data. Bad news is it either detected HTML and gave things that extension (not all are HTML baut anyway) others got saved mostly as txt files. it would speed things up a great deal if I could convert batch at a time & use journal to open them. If journal won't then I reckon they most likely are not journal files & i'll delete them.
      This will really help me. I had 4 years worth of writing & now I know it's there but can't access it.
      In case anybody wonders yes I had an external back up. it is a bit out of dat but still I couldn't get my disk to even work well enough to take the ext bu. I am going to try again. at least I'll have everything from the last bu on. I'll post on the success or failure of that as well.
      as the old boy said when the coone he thought he captured turned out to be a bobcat Hep Me! Hep Me! Hep Me! somebody just shoot in here amongst us! One of has got to have some relief!
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 2, 2012
        The Journal's default folder for your Journal Volumes is:
        My Documents\The Journal Volumes\

        Can you access that folder (and all files and sub-folders) from before
        the crash?

        -David

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 2, 2012
          --- In thejournal-users@yahoogroups.com, David Michael <davidrm@...> wrote:

          > The Journal's default folder for your Journal Volumes is:
          > My Documents\The Journal Volumes\
          >
          > Can you access that folder (and all files and sub-folders) from before
          > the crash?
          >
          > -David
          >
          > On 11/1/2012 21:57, ibmyke wrote:
          > > I had a catastrophic hard drive failure & had to have a data recovery service salvage my data. Good new is he did recover all my data. Bad news is it either detected HTML and gave things that extension (not all are HTML baut anyway) others got saved mostly as txt files. it would speed things up a great deal if I could convert

          batch at a time & use journal to open them. If journal won't then I reckon they most likely are not journal files & i'll delete them.
          > > This will really help me. I had 4 years worth of writing & now I know it's there but can't access it.
          > > In case anybody wonders yes I had an external back up. it is a bit out of dat but still I couldn't get my disk to even work well enough to take the ext bu. I am going to try again. at least I'll have everything from the last bu on. I'll post on the success or failure of that as well.
          > > as the old boy said when the coone he thought he captured turned out to be a bobcat Hep Me! Hep Me! Hep Me! somebody just shoot in here amongst us! One of has got to have some relief!

          No I cannot access any folder of any kind. All the data recovery was able to do is pull raw files out. things were only separated into image files, HTML files & txt files. The only way so far to find anything is open & close a million & five time. I only care a little about the images I have them elsewhere so far none of the HTML files are important enough to waste much time with. the massive amounts of txt files is however daunting.
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 2, 2012
            The Journal saves your entries in a database. If all you have are HTML,
            text, and image files, you might not have any files from The Journal.

            One extension you can look for is: *.jvdb

            That file doesn't contain your entries, but if you can find one, and you
            can open the folder it's in, we might be able to do something.

            -David

            On 11/2/2012 20:39, ibmyke wrote:
            > No I cannot access any folder of any kind. All the data recovery was able to do is pull raw files out. things were only separated into image files, HTML files & txt files. The only way so far to find anything is open & close a million & five time. I only care a little about the images I have them elsewhere so far none of the HTML files are important enough to waste much time with. the massive amounts of txt files is however daunting.
          • gregkemble
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 3, 2012
              I'm sorry to hear about your catastrophic hard drive failure. I hope others will learn from this and get a good backup system in place.

              A good backup plan has both on-site and off-site backups. Just as important, it's automatic.

              We need an off-site backup because, while an external drive is great for quick recovery of information when a hard drive crashes, it's not sufficient. Fire, theft, hurricanes, etc. could destroy both the original hard drive and the backup; both drives could fail. So we need something more.

              For The Journal, you can keep your files (or at the very least, the backup files) on Dropbox or SkyDrive. Then if something goes horribly wrong, you can reinstall The Journal on a new computer and link up to the files to Dropbox. (And for those concerned about privacy, just keep a strong password on your journal volumes and you'll be fine).

              More generally -- since most of us have more information that fits in the few GB that Dropbox, SkyDrive, and Google Drive allow -- it's good to have a program like Carbonite or Mozy (those are the two I know, though I think there are others). They automatically upload files from your computer to a backup in the cloud. This part is important because if you accidentally delete something (like a journal folder) from Dropbox, that error will propagate across all your instances of Dropbox. Carbonite (the one I use) will eventually delete files that have been removed from the original machine, but it takes a lot longer. So if you made a mistake in your Dropbox you could retrieve the files from Carbonite.

              I hope this made sense, and that it helps someone in the future avoid the difficulties described in this thread...

              Greg
            • AnaMaree Ordway
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 4, 2012
                I use DropBox and Carbonite. Carbonite is so worth the money! I have had
                external drives just *POOF* into nothingness more than once.

                --
                Peace,
                AnaMaree

                509.885.0039