Re: [thejournal-users] still active list ?

  • Maze
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1, 2002
      Hi,

      well I guess you can add this issue now to the version 3 bug list ;-) .....
      Something remarkable I found out is, when importing an rtf that has an embedded jpg image (format which si not supported by journal) or even an .ico both pictures showed up correctly.

      Also, I am having huge problems what the autodetect url/email links are concerned: I created a new volume and imported an .rtf with lots of email addys and urls into the notebook. They all where "clickable", that is they are detected as urls, but the default font and color style (underline & blue font color) where NOT applied. I tried "select all" and "remove white space", thinking spaces would cause this (which is probably nonsense, since they all where clickable links....;-) ). The result was that half of all the links on the page were blue & underlined.
      Only when I selected all and applied the volumes default style from the drop downmenu (which I didnt change at all before importing the document), the links where displayed correctly: blue and underlined.
      However, this does not occur when simply copy and pasting text....

      Then I edited the standard font style and changed it to my favourite font and paragraph style (block and indented by 1.00).
      I figured creating a new category and setting the first category (with my font settings set to default) as master would cause the font settings from category two to be changed to my favourite settings, but - noooo. Lol.

      I do not know if I am only missing things or if the problems I have with this proggie are bugs. And thats the problem that I have with the enclosed help file....

      I have been to the page with the newsletter issues and I do find them very interesting - also for the tips on writing and journaling.
      But frankly I think that this program is so complex or at least unusal compared to widely spread note's programs (at least ones that I came across), that it really demands a more detailed user's guide. I cannot recall it all right now, but I remember I searched for several keywords which were not there for instance. I dont want to batter you with all this now, lol, but if it is useful info for you I will send you some details (like a list of "how do I...?" dummy-user questions that I am asking myself)....Like I have said before, I dont want to batter you with criticism.....

      The proggie's absolute highlight is the batch import and export feature, absolutely remarable. It handles even large documents on improt very well (when my MS Word crashes on that....;-) ) Also I havent seen any other program that would handle "remove white space" so well, - it does what it says in 99% of all cases....

      regards,
      Maze

      PS: is the batch import/export feature new to v3 or has it also been available in the 2.x version ?

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1, 2002
        >well I guess you can add this issue now to the version 3 bug list ;-)
        >Something remarkable I found out is, when importing an rtf that has an
        >embedded jpg image (format which si not supported by journal) or even an
        >.ico both pictures showed up correctly.

        JPG images are supported by The Journal (I just tested to be certain). What
        happens when you try to insert JPGs?

        As for ICO images embedded in another RTF file, that would work as you
        describe. Because once the icon is embedded, it's treated as just another
        embedded image. Evidently, The Journal's problem with icons is strictly in
        the initial load.

        >Also, I am having huge problems what the autodetect url/email links are
        >concerned: I created a new volume and imported an .rtf with lots of email
        >addys and urls into the notebook. They all where "clickable", that is they
        >are detected as urls, but the default font and color style (underline &
        >blue font color) where NOT applied. I tried "select all" and "remove white
        >space", thinking spaces would cause this (which is probably nonsense,
        >since they all where clickable links....;-) ). The result was that half of
        >all the links on the page were blue & underlined.
        >Only when I selected all and applied the volumes default style from the
        >drop downmenu (which I didnt change at all before importing the document),
        >the links where displayed correctly: blue and underlined.
        >However, this does not occur when simply copy and pasting text....

        I'll have to see what I can do to improve The Journal's handling of links
        in imported RTF files.

        As a workaround: If you have imported a block of text which has links that
        are not being highlighted, simply select the text then cut it (Ctrl+X) and
        paste it (Ctrl+V). That will force The Journal to rescan the block of text
        and highlight the links.

        >Then I edited the standard font style and changed it to my favourite font
        >and paragraph style (block and indented by 1.00).
        >I figured creating a new category and setting the first category (with my
        >font settings set to default) as master would cause the font settings from
        >category two to be changed to my favourite settings, but - noooo. Lol.

        No, that wouldn't work. A category with the default settings always uses
        the user's default text settings.

        I had never thought about having the sub-categories pull their text
        settings from the master category. It's an interesting concept. I'm not
        sure I'll end up supporting the idea, but it is an interesting way to look
        at things.

        >I have been to the page with the newsletter issues and I do find them very
        >interesting - also for the tips on writing and journaling.
        > But frankly I think that this program is so complex or at least unusal
        >compared to widely spread note's programs (at least ones that I came
        >across), that it really demands a more detailed user's guide. I cannot
        >recall it all right now, but I remember I searched for several keywords
        >which were not there for instance. I dont want to batter you with all this
        >now, lol, but if it is useful info for you I will send you some details
        >(like a list of "how do I...?" dummy-user questions that I am asking
        >myself)....Like I have said before, I dont want to batter you with
        >criticism.....

        I'm always open to suggestions for improving The Journal. (Which may
        explain some of the accumulated complexity.)

        I've been slowly adding to the Frequently Asked Questions in the online
        documentation. So just let me know when it occurs to you.

        >The proggie's absolute highlight is the batch import and export feature,
        >absolutely remarable. It handles even large documents on improt very well
        >(when my MS Word crashes on that....;-) ) Also I havent seen any other
        >program that would handle "remove white space" so well, - it does what it
        >says in 99% of all cases....

        Thanks for the positive feedback. It's always appreciated. =)

        >PS: is the batch import/export feature new to v3 or has it also been
        >available in the 2.x version ?

        Batch import...<ponders>...was added with The Journal 3.

        If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.

        "If we keep our pride/Though Paradise is lost
        We will pay the price/But we will not count the cost"
        ---Rush