Viewing all entries.

  • tonemob
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 10, 2011
      Is there a way to view all entries from different categories on one page? For example, I have various categories - Daily Journal, Writings, Technique etc. If I write an entry in the Daily Journal and one in the Writings category on the same day can I view both entries on a common page to save me switching to each category tab? It would almost be a timeline I suppose.
      Thanks for The Journal - a superb programme.

      Anthony Miller
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 12, 2011
        Click on the Tools menu and choose "Daily/Weekly Entry Report". I think
        that is close to what you're looking for.

        If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

        -David

        On 12/11/2011 12:38 AM, tonemob wrote:
        > Is there a way to view all entries from different categories on one page? For example, I have various categories - Daily Journal, Writings, Technique etc. If I write an entry in the Daily Journal and one in the Writings category on the same day can I view both entries on a common page to save me switching to each category tab? It would almost be a timeline I suppose.
        > Thanks for The Journal - a superb programme.
        >
        > Anthony Miller

      • tonemob
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 13, 2011
          Yes it is close enough, thankyou!

          Just shows how much I don't know about the Journal!! :-)

          Cheers and all the best for the season.

          Anthony Miller

          --- In thejournal-users@yahoogroups.com, David Michael <davidrm@...> wrote:

          > Click on the Tools menu and choose "Daily/Weekly Entry Report". I think
          > that is close to what you're looking for.
          >
          > If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.
          >
          > -David
          >
          > On 12/11/2011 12:38 AM, tonemob wrote:
          > > Is there a way to view all entries from different categories on one page? For example, I have various categories - Daily Journal, Writings, Technique etc. If I write an entry in the Daily Journal and one in the Writings category on the same day can I view both entries on a common page to save me switching to each category tab? It would almost be a timeline I suppose.
          > > Thanks for The Journal - a superb programme.
          > >
          > > Anthony Miller

        • Qrystal
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 6, 2012
            Aha! This is pretty much what I was looking for, too.

            However, the headers in this view are much smaller and more subtle than most of the ones I use in my journal entries, so it's hard to follow what's happening when. It would be really nice if there was an option to customize these styles... is it there somewhere, and I missed it?

            If it's not there, have you been considering making these styles customizable? Or would you consider implementing some other way to make this part of The Journal as lovely to navigate as the rest of it is? I have some ideas...!

            One small way to improve this view would be to keep everything as it is, but have the option to use more of an "outline" view. The depths of the outline view could be enhanced with subtle boxes within boxes, and there could be somewhere on screen that tells us which day we're in and which category we're reading.

            Another idea would be to have the same sort of "calendar" panel that is usually present, with bold numbers showing the days that are covered in the report and highlighting showing the currently-on-screen day(s), and also entry titles shown in the usual sort of entry tree. While scrolling down through the report, the highlighting in the calendar panel could shift to track the current location and entry title.

            Another idea: a sort of report that shows only LINKS to the entries themselves, with a little preview, much like a search but without having to have a search phrase... just as a way to explore what was said in past chunks of time.

            Another idea: something even more like a timeline, a horizontal ticker that has little blips on it for each entry within the indicated time period. The size of the blip could show (like a histogram) how many different updates were done on the same day (or the same week, if the timeline is showing many years). Highlighting a section of the timeline could bring up a report containing links, like the idea above. This sort of view would let us scan big chunks of time to see how frequently we posted things-- which could inspire us to go back to fill gaps that are missing stories!

            Are there any plans to implement any sweeping changes like this to the report views? I'd be happy to help by continuing to brainstorm. :)

            -Qrystal

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 7, 2012
              Wow. Yeah, that's a set of sweeping changes. =)

              I'm planning to give all the exports, printing, and reports a good, long
              ponder in the near future. I'll keep a note of all these and see what
              seems to fit at the time.

              Thank you for the detailed suggestions.

              -David