Slow cut-and-paste

  • michaelm7010
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 3, 2011
      As I cut-and-paste text in the Journal on a specific day, it gets slower and slower. As this occurs, it also takes longer to switch from that date to another date.

      I switched to Windows 7 and Journal version 5 a few months back. I have been using the product for more than five years now, and so I have quite a bit of volume.

      I had been tagging my entries by topic, and performance seemed to improve when I stopped doing that. But the problem has worsened again.
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 3, 2011
        What are you cutting and pasting on the entry that is getting slower? Is
        it long email threads from Outlook with a lot of email hot-links
        stacking up on the older emails in the thread? Or something else?

        -David

        On 11/3/2011 5:34 AM, michaelm7010 wrote:
        > As I cut-and-paste text in the Journal on a specific day, it gets slower and slower. As this occurs, it also takes longer to switch from that date to another date.
        >
        > I switched to Windows 7 and Journal version 5 a few months back. I have been using the product for more than five years now, and so I have quite a bit of volume.
        >
        > I had been tagging my entries by topic, and performance seemed to improve when I stopped doing that. But the problem has worsened again.

      • Mary Bhardwaj
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 3, 2011
          Since I had a similar problem, and David asked me to send him a copy of my
          journal to play with, but I didn't do it yet, I would be happy to now.
          David, if this reads as a similar problem please let me know how to send
          you a copy of my journal.

        • michaelm7010
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 5, 2011
            As far as I know, this is just text. I read the notes about copying threads from Outlook; that isn't something I do.

            Some of the lines are underlined, but even when I remove them, it still doesn't seem to help.

            Thanks.

            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 7, 2011
              You wouldn't need to send the entire journal, just that one entry.

              Click on the File menu, Export sub-menu, and choose "Export Entries..."

              Select just that one entry and export it to a JNX (Journal Export) file.
              Send me that file directly: support@...

              Thanks!

              -David

              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 7, 2011
                What can you tell me about the content of the entry? Is it all just
                text? Is there a collection of images in the entry?

                If you don't mind, bring up the entry and press Ctrl+W. How many words
                is the entry?

                -David

                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 9, 2011
                  It appears to be simple text. A couple of lines are underlined. One of the entries which is causing the problem is 119 words; another is 1,028.

                  Per your suggestion to another user, I will export the entries and send them to you.

                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 9, 2011
                    An entry that small should certainly not load slowly.

                    Unfortunately, without access to the actual data, it's hard to guess
                    what's going wrong.

                    See if this helps:

                    1. Make sure The Journal is *NOT* running.

                    2. Click on the Windows "Start" menu, and choose "All Programs".

                    3. Find the "DavidRM Software" program group, and open "The Journal 5".

                    4. Click on "The Journal 5 (repair utility)". When you are prompted to
                    make a backup, click on "No".

                    That will run The Journal and force all of your Journal Volumes to be
                    repaired (and optimized, as well).

                    Let me know.

                    -David

                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 14, 2011
                      David:

                      I executed the repair, and saw no change in behavior.

                      My performance is continuing to be degraded. When I switch from one date to another in the calendar, it takes 3-4 seconds to switch. Searches of a week's worth of entries take up to a minute.

                      I appreciate your help, but I'm hoping you can come up with something to help me out.

                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 17, 2011
                        The slowness happens on all dates? Or just specific dates? What if you
                        bring up a date with no entry?

                        Thank you for the details.

                        -David

                      • Ann DeWolf
                        Message 11 of 15 , Nov 18, 2011
                          Can anyone tell me how to permanently change the font size for all my entries in all my categories so I don't have to keep changing them everyday? I would like to change the font size one time for all catagories and not have to change the font size in each one every time I enter a new journal entry.

                          Thank you and The Journal Rocks!
                          Ann

                          The slowness happens on all dates? Or just specific dates? What if you
                          bring up a date with no entry?

                          Thank you for the details.

                          -David

                          On 11/14/2011 5:02 PM, michaelm7010 wrote:
                          > David:
                          >
                          > I executed the repair, and saw no change in behavior.
                          >
                          > My performance is continuing to be degraded. When I switch from one date to another in the calendar, it takes 3-4 seconds to switch. Searches of a week's worth of entries take up to a minute.
                          >
                          > I appreciate your help, but I'm hoping you can come up with something to help me out.
                          >

                          > --- In thejournal-users@yahoogroups.com, David Michael<davidrm@...> wrote:
                          >>
                          >> An entry that small should certainly not load slowly.
                          >>
                          >> Unfortunately, without access to the actual data, it's hard to guess
                          >> what's going wrong.
                          >>
                          >> See if this helps:
                          >>
                          >> 1. Make sure The Journal is *NOT* running.
                          >>
                          >> 2. Click on the Windows "Start" menu, and choose "All Programs".
                          >>
                          >> 3. Find the "DavidRM Software" program group, and open "The Journal 5".
                          >>
                          >> 4. Click on "The Journal 5 (repair utility)". When you are prompted to
                          >> make a backup, click on "No".
                          >>
                          >> That will run The Journal and force all of your Journal Volumes to be
                          >> repaired (and optimized, as well).
                          >>
                          >> Let me know.
                          >>
                          >> -David
                          >>
                          >> On 11/9/2011 6:50 AM, michaelm7010 wrote:
                          >>> It appears to be simple text. A couple of lines are underlined. One of the entries which is causing the problem is 119 words; another is 1,028.
                          >>>
                          >>> Per your suggestion to another user, I will export the entries and send them to you.
                          >>>
                          >>> Thanks.

                        • Heather Kuhn
                          Message 12 of 15 , Nov 18, 2011
                            On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 10:24, Ann DeWolf <dicesnoop@...> wrote:

                            > **
                            >

                            > Can anyone tell me how to permanently change the font size for all my
                            > entries in all my categories so I don't have to keep changing
                            > them everyday? I would like to change the font size one time for all
                            > catagories and not have to change the font size in each one every time I
                            > enter a new journal entry.
                            >
                            > Thank you and The Journal Rocks!
                            > Ann

                            Under User Preferences (found on both the Users and Tools menus), click the
                            Styles tab, then click "Edit Default User Text Style." You can change both
                            the default font and its size there.

                            --
                            Heather

                          • michaelm7010
                            Message 13 of 15 , Dec 12, 2011
                              The slowness happens only on specific dates, such as the entries I sent you. Bringing up other dates, including dates with no entries, works fine.

                              Message 14 of 15 , Dec 12, 2011
                                On those dates, is the slowness on the loading? The saving? Or both?

                                You can test the saving by doing a quick space-backspace and pressing
                                Ctrl+Space.

                                -David

                                Message 15 of 15 , Dec 30, 2011
                                  Both loading and saving.