{virtualitalia.com} under the tuscan spoon

  • pazzaglia
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 19, 2003
      VIRTUALITALIA.COM http://www.virtualitalia.com
      The resource for enthusiasts of Italy & Italian culture.

      NEW THIS MONTH -----------------------------------------------------

      TUSCAN WOMEN COOK
      Last summer, Susan enrolled in Tuscan Women Cook, a week of cooking
      lessons,
      trips to nearby towns, wineries, markets, restaurants, and designer
      outlets.
      Instead of admiring Tuscany she stepped inside, sharing tastes with
      the
      locals, transplants, and tourists who filled it.
      http://www.virtualitalia.com/travel/tuscany.shtml

      LIVING LA DOLCE VITA - HELP YOURSELF TO THE ITALIAN LIFESTYLE The
      signs are
      everywhere: the 5-fold increase in U.S. spending on Italian imports;
      the
      rising success of mafia-based television shows; the skyrocketing
      record
      sales of tenors Bocelli and Pavarotti - everyone wants the secrets of
      living
      la dolce vita, the sweet Italian life.
      http://www.virtualitalia.com/articles/living_la_dolce_vita.shtml

      CAPRI CAFFÉ DILEMMA
      Tour books call Capri's famous piazzetta "The living room of Capri,"
      and
      recommend visitors sit at one of the cafes to watch the world go by.
      But
      which caffe'? All four have the same tables, chairs, and waiters.
      Only the
      names appear to differ.
      http://www.virtualitalia.com/travel/campania.shtml

      NEW FORUM FOR YOUR ITALIAN LAW QUESTIONS
      Pose your most vexing questions on Italian inheritance, property,
      banking,
      pensions & general administrative procedures to the experts in our
      newest
      forum dedicated to Italian Law.
      http://virtualitalia.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=15

      UNDERSTANDING GENEALOGY TERMS
      Often, in our genealogy research we come across words that may be
      unfamiliar
      to us. An indispensable resource to make our understanding of these
      terms
      easier are genealogy glossaries - a collection of definitions that
      describe
      legal, medical, and occupations, that are relevant in deciphering
      documents.
      http://www.virtualitalia.com/gene/

      ADVERTISEMENT -----------------------------------------------------

      You can play a role in educating the world about Italian culture.
      A contribution to virtualitalia.com - an all volunteer website
      will help us pay for the server-space and software enhancements!
      http://www.amazon.com/paypage/P1N3WQZ61Z9JI1

      INFO SHORTS -------------------------------------------------------

      ITALY WINS BAN AGAINST GENETICALLY MODIFIED FOOD
      Italy won the right to impose an emergency ban on genetically
      modified food
      products when Europe's highest court waded into a bitter dispute
      between
      Rome and the US biotechnology giant Monsanto, The Guardian Reports.
      But
      Italy's victory was not clear cut and could be short-lived. The
      European
      court of justice said that Rome would have to provide "detailed"
      evidence
      that GM products posed a risk to human health before any emergency
      ban was
      imposed. The court also warned that it could not rely on hypothetical
      evidence or supposition. Products containing minute traces of GM
      material
      could not be automatically banned, the court ruled. The matter will
      now be
      referred back to the Italian courts which will have to decide whether
      or not
      the Italian government had been justified in 2000 in banning several
      varieties of GM corn that were sold elsewhere in the European Union.

      AGRITURISMO ON WRONG SIDE OF THE LAW
      The vacation for those who love the Italian countryside but cannot
      afford an
      Italian villa - has as many dark secrets. Almost one-third of the
      farmer-caterers visited by a special carabinieri (Italian FBI) unit
      last
      month had broken the law. The promise of modest prices, traditional
      cooking
      and a get-away-from-it-all ambience has proved popular with Italians
      and
      foreigners alike. There are now some 11,500 agriturismo
      establishments in
      Italy. But abuses ranged from crowding in too many guests to using
      secretly
      slaughtered meat not inspected for Mad Cow Disease. Some agriturismos
      were
      not even licensed. Two were sequestered. One closed down. Police said
      184 of
      the 617 farms visited had breached rules, and charges were being
      brought in
      30% of cases. The highest number of violations were in the southern
      regions
      such as Abruzzo and Calabria, according to The Guardian.

      GERMANY COMPLAINS TO ITALY ABOUT HITLER WINES
      The Guardian reports that Germany's justice minister, Brigitte
      Zypries, has
      protested to her Italian counterpart, Roberto Castelli, about the
      sale of
      Italian wines labeled with pictures of Hitler, threatening another
      Italian-German rift. The bottles, some of which bear the logo "Ein
      Volk,
      ein Reich, ein Führer" (one people, one nation, one leader), have been
      selling fast, mainly to German tourists who spot them in petrol
      stations in
      northern Italy. They are part of a "historical series" of labels,
      featuring
      leaders such as Mussolini, Stalin and Che Guevara. A Stalin or Hitler
      bottle
      sells for 3.3 euro. "People like these characters. They make good
      table
      conversation. So I'm not about to stop selling," said Alessandro
      Lunardelli,
      who says the Hitler wine is the most popular, selling 30,000 bottles
      a year.
      "I am sorry if there are some people - German politicians, Jewish
      groups, or
      that type of thing - who get upset. But it's just history. I see no
      reason
      for such a fuss." Although Berlin wants a European ban on racist or
      anti-foreigner imagery and literature, Mr Castelli said that only the
      Italian judiciary could decide to ban the wine. "I did not know these
      bottles were being produced," he said. "It seems bad taste to me."

      ITALIAN PROVERB --------------------------------------------------

      "Vale piu' la fortuna che il sapere"
      A pocketful of luck is better than a sackful of wisdom.

      LOCAL ITALIAN EVENTS ---------------------------------------------

      We've revived completely redesigned calendars of events. This new
      calendar
      allows you to submit events easily and us to review them quickly. If
      you
      belong to a club, or organization who has lots of regular events we
      can
      create an account for you -- having an account with the
      virtualitalia.com
      calendar will allow clubs to edit and update their own events.
      Contact us at
      events@...

      For a listing of events in the Los Angeles area, visit:
      http://www.virtualitalia.com/la/

      For a listing of events in the New York area, visit:
      http://www.virtualitalia.com/ny/

      For a listing of events in the San Francisco Bay Area, visit:
      http://www.virtualitalia.com/sf/

      See your text advertisement here. There are about 10,000 enthusiasts
      of Italy and Italian culture reading this message right now!
      For more information, contact ads@...

      Subscribe to our mailing list by sending an email to:
      virtualitalia-amici-subscribe@yahoogroups.com