Re: [thehugsproject_annex] MORE about YARN ;o(

  • Anita Betschart
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 30, 2006
      I should have been a research librarian instead of a nurse. Attached is a link to the definition of worsted. It refers to the way the yarn is carded and spun...back in the old days, long fibers were used so that they were parallel and provided long smooth yarns. It usually refers to wool but can also refer to some acrylics - the term is then "worsted weight", and the acrylic fibers used are longer then twisted. So the walmart clerk could be correct, their yarn could be worsted weight, not worsted wool. Hope this helps. Anita
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worsted

      oneida_53 <flhugs@...> wrote:
      My Mom was a prolific knitter...I remember her knitting mittens and
      watch caps for the troops during WWII..
      She and a group of young friends gathered every Sunday after church
      to put together packages...one family had a son in the Pacific
      Theatre, one in ETO and a daughter in Belgium....
      contents I member..."Tollhouse Cookies" Raisins; the mittens and
      caps...(black for Navy/khaki for Army)
      and (in later reflection, this has always mystified me.....WIRE COAT
      HANGERS) ???
      With my limited knowledge of this craft, I somehow equate
      "Worsted" with WOOL ???
      Please correct me, if I'm wrong...?

      SO:

      Last week, I stopped @ W-mart for fabric, and on my way out of the
      dept noted new shipment/display of black "worsted"...
      At a "recruiting/teaching" at my home the next day, I mentioned this
      to the ladies ...who dutifully trekked to the store...to be told
      WE DON'T CARRY WOOL YARN !!
      ??
      kay
    • AAGESEN
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 2, 2006
        I find the following to be very helpful information for making decisions on yarn choices.

        Kim

        The following information is from the Lion Brand Yarn Guide
        A: Worsted weight is a measure of thickness that originally applied only to worsted spun wool. It has come to be used to describe any fiber of that traditional thickness.
        WEIGHT: This refers to how thick the yarn is. There are a number of standard thickness' for yarn. These include:
        * FINGERING YARN: A loosely spun, very lightweight yarn used for babywear, socks, and other delicate items.
        * SPORT YARN: A medium weight yarn used for babywear, sweaters, and lightweight throws.
        * WORSTED WEIGHT YARN: The most popular weight for knitting and crocheting. An ideal weight for throws.
        * CHUNKY YARN: Heavier than worsted weight, chunky yarn works up quickly and easily for such things as hats, scarves, and throws.
        * BULKY YARN: A very heavy yarn, about twice as thick as worsted weight.
        YARN EQUIVALENTS: A method of approximating yarn equivalents:
        Two strands fingering equal one strand sport.
        Two strands sport equal one strand worsted.
        Two strands worsted equal one strand bulky.

        The following from the helping hands web site

        Yarns
        UKAustralia/NZUSA
        4 ply5 plyFingering
        Double Knitting8 plySportweight
        Aran12 plyKnitting Worsted
        Chunky14 plyBulky

        Anita Betschart <anitabetschart@...> wrote:
        I should have been a research librarian instead of a nurse. Attached is a link to the definition of worsted. It refers to the way the yarn is carded and spun...back in the old days, long fibers were used so that they were parallel and provided long smooth yarns. It usually refers to wool but can also refer to some acrylics - the term is then "worsted weight", and the acrylic fibers used are longer then twisted. So the walmart clerk could be correct, their yarn could be worsted weight, not worsted wool. Hope this helps. Anita
        http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Worsted

        Yahoo! 360°
        Your place online
        Blog & photos