Fw: The "Hugs" Project - - - Re: ?'s/care pkg contents

  • Janice
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 3, 2006
      This question was deleted from the regular forum so am reposting here.
      Thanks.

      > How do you pack the jars to ensure they won't break? This is an awesome
      > idea - one I would never have thought of because of the glass. So please
      > tell how you pack your items for shipment.
      >
      > Hugs,
      > Janice

    • R&R
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 3, 2006
        Janice,

        When I sent cake in a jar last year I wrapped and taped it with bubble wrap first...lots of it...I was able to get three jars in a box along with a lot of other items. The box was a priority flat rate. I never heard from our soldier so I don't know if it got there in one piece but hubby said an elephant would have had to sit on the box in order for those jars to break.

        Hope this helps.

        Ruth, Bakersfield, CA
      • june miller
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 3, 2006
          Hi Janice;

          Please follow directions for jar preparations and baking 100%.. The jars must be sterile and sprayed well with Pam--the rings and lids must be boiled to attend the proper zeal..When you take jars out of the oven set them on a dish towel or rack to cool--stand right there and listen for the ping--if for some reason that jar does not seal put in refrig.. do not send any jars not sealed.. Wrap in newspaper, then bubble wrap and then put in a gallon zip lock bag.. I have never heard of a jar breaking from the Korean war to now...

          By using the WIDE MOUTH PINT JAR ONLY, the cake pops right out of the jar. It can be sliced then each slice frosted, or frost the outsides, then slice it. I'm sure they'll figure out a way to eat the frosting & cake together. Just send them the sealed jar of cake and a new can of frosting.
          YOu only put 1 cup of cake batter in each jar, & it rises within about 1/2" from the top of the jar. Of course, you spray the jar well, with a no-stick pan spray, after sterilizing the jar in boiling water.
          I wrapped the sealed jar of cake in newspaper first, then bubble wrap, then put it in a gallon size baggie.

          this is the time of year to buy your jars during canning season..please make sure the jars are sterile and you boil the lids and rings--listen for the ping that tells you the jar is sealed..I used a chocolate box cake mix today and made 5 jar cakes.. yesterday i made 5 squash cakes [[[the recipe i have is for a 9 x 13 cake but i pour it into two loaf pans.. when I make the cake pan one i put cream cheese frosting on it and grind walnuts over the top... any cake mix you can use...when i ship them i wrap them in newspaper then bybble wrap and if i have the large zip lock bag i pus it in there.. never heard from any soldier that one broke and all love them.. how it I started sending them 25 years my brother spent one of his birthdays in service so i was looking through Mom's cook books and came across cake in a jar.. My sis was the baker of the family--so she baked it.. that night for dessert we opened one up----that was a big mistake cause we ate four out of five..now we
          always have some around for drop in friends....nut breads are great in a jar..I have sent 10 cakes at a time----soldiers like them, jerky and canned fruit..i have had requests for nothing but canned fruit.. if you have space between the jar and box you can put a bag of popcorn on one or both sides of jar for cushioning..loose hard candy works to..snack bars..the tighter you can keep the jar the less chance of breaking..Good luck and have fun..
        • Janice
          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 5, 2006
            Thank you June - I'm going to get jars and start making some to send. I
            know they will really appreciate them anytime but I'll bet they will be
            extra special for the holidays.

          • Janice
            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 5, 2006
              Hi Ruth - yes thank you for your help. I've been working feverishly getting
              stockings ready, making hacky sacks to put in them, and making tree
              ornaments. Now I can also add some jar cakes to the box. I'm excited. I
              start back to work part time the middle of this month so I'm trying to
              accomplish as much as possible before then.

              Hugs,
              Janice
              > When I sent cake in a jar last year I wrapped and taped it with bubble
              > wrap first...lots of it...I was able to get three jars in a box along with
              > a lot of other items. The box was a priority flat rate. I never heard
              > from our soldier so I don't know if it got there in one piece but hubby
              > said an elephant would have had to sit on the box in order for those jars
              > to break.
              >
              > Hope this helps.
              >
              > Ruth, Bakersfield, CA
              >

              > The "Hugs" Project...letting American Armed Forces know that we care &
              > that we support them in their mission to provide & protect freedom.
              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • june miller
              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 6, 2006
                watch for jar clearance sales.. canning season will soon be comming to end shortly and you won't find them around till next year..I picked up 4 cases last year at a hardware store i just happened to run into and saw then under a display table... they gave them to me for $3.98 a case --i paid $9.98 a case when in during canning season.. those that are making jerky-- wal mart has a package of seasoning where the canning supplies are sold.. they also have salsa seasoning in two different sizes.. i send a couple cans of tomatoes and a pack of seasoning--they can make their own salsa...Holiday time is when I send cake and chocolate candy..i intended to send squash jars now but hubby and his co=workers took care of that thought...out of 20 I have two left--at least i think i do..LOL-- i really like to mix my packages up not just send one item...I always use the large flat rate shirt box..
                June
              • cmna_2000
                Message 7 of 20 , Aug 6, 2006
                  I'm fascinated by the concept of the cake in a jar, but I have a
                  question or two. Or three or four.

                  First question: The cake apparently bakes for more than a half-hour
                  in a 350 degree oven. I understand that the jar LID must be
                  properly sterilized, since it's not baked, but what would be the
                  point of sterilizing the jar itself? What would survive the half-
                  hour in a 350 oven? Wouldn't a dishwasher-cleaned jar do just
                  fine? None of the ingredients that go into the jar are sterilized
                  before being added to the jar.

                  Second question: I've been trying to follow a little about the
                  shipping of these jar cakes. Do they fit (properly packaged) in any
                  of the Flat Rate Priority boxes?

                  Third question: I see several options for greasing the jars before
                  adding the batter. In the experience of those of you who've tried
                  this, do they all work equally well? And has anyone used the
                  commercial-type shortening/flour stuff that Wilton and other cake
                  decorating suppliers make?

                  And lastly: I've never been a fan of canned frosting, but I'll sure
                  bet it's a hit with the recipients of these cakes. Do any of you
                  have a recommmendation for a BRAND of frosting?

                  Thanks, all!!

                  Connie in Central Ohio
                • K@ren
                  Message 8 of 20 , Aug 7, 2006
                    I agree with you that baking that long should sterilize the jar but
                    I've not made any jar cakes so I don't really know for sure.

                    I'd think the shoe box style flat rate would work best but again,
                    I'm far from an expert on the subject.

                    Can anyone answer Connie from experience?

                    ~K~

                    --- In thehugsproject_annex@yahoogroups.com, "cmna_2000"
                    <cmna_2000@...> wrote:

                    > I'm fascinated by the concept of the cake in a jar, but I have a
                    > question or two. Or three or four.
                    >
                    > First question: The cake apparently bakes for more than a half-
                    hour
                    > in a 350 degree oven. I understand that the jar LID must be
                    > properly sterilized, since it's not baked, but what would be the
                    > point of sterilizing the jar itself? What would survive the half-
                    > hour in a 350 oven? Wouldn't a dishwasher-cleaned jar do just
                    > fine? None of the ingredients that go into the jar are sterilized
                    > before being added to the jar.
                    >
                    > Second question: I've been trying to follow a little about the
                    > shipping of these jar cakes. Do they fit (properly packaged) in
                    any
                    > of the Flat Rate Priority boxes?
                    >
                    > Third question: I see several options for greasing the jars
                    before
                    > adding the batter. In the experience of those of you who've tried
                    > this, do they all work equally well? And has anyone used the
                    > commercial-type shortening/flour stuff that Wilton and other cake
                    > decorating suppliers make?
                    >
                    > And lastly: I've never been a fan of canned frosting, but I'll
                    sure
                    > bet it's a hit with the recipients of these cakes. Do any of you
                    > have a recommmendation for a BRAND of frosting?
                    >
                    > Thanks, all!!
                    >
                    > Connie in Central Ohio

                  • june miller
                    Message 9 of 20 , Aug 8, 2006
                      well here is my two cents worth---first off how many of you know when the Korean war was????????? That's just how long I been baking Cake in a Jar.. I baked as high as 30 cakes in a day and only the God Lord knows how many I have sent to soldiers over the years.. Never got any bad vibes on any I sent nor has any of my family or friends died or had to be carted off to the hospital after eating one..

                      I am a firm believer in following procedures written by Jackie Gannaway for jar baking to a T as far as sterlizing my jars goes.. I do not feel dish washing does a throug job.. What might look clean to you might not be.. She states wash jars , seals and rings in hot soapy water. rinse and place jars and rings in large pot. fill with water and boil 15 minutes covered.. Then place rings and seals in small pan of boiling water and simmer until ready to use.. Dry jars and grease very well, bottom and sides now i have use Pam spray alto she does say [[don't spray}} Pam came out with a spray made for bbq cooking along with one with grease and flour..The cake is suppose to come out of the jar with stong shake to two when ready to serve..If it doesn't run a flat blanded knife around the cake to release it..

                      You stated you baked your cake at 350 for half an hour????????? You can use any cake mix but must reduce the temperture 25 degrees from what is called for in your recipe because glass bakes hotter then metal baking pans. I bake all my cakes from 45 to 55 minutes.. I set my timer at 40 and check the cake with a toothpick--sometimes according to weather conditions it can take shorter or longer time plus oven heat can vary... I do not use butter in any of my recipes---shortening or oil only..I don't know anything about the commerical- type shortening/flour stuff from Wilton or other cake suppliers.. but i would be willing to say the shortening/ flour blend would be safe 'cause that is what Jackie recommends using to grease the jars...

                      now where I think jar cakes is condemed by the county extension is cause people want to take a short cut on what should be done.. also did they specify if butter was used in the recipes that they found mold or botulism in.. also i can see problems if the ingredients was done some time in advance----like processing squash one day and not baking til several days later.. bacteria is always persent in anything and some types heat under 450 degrees does not kill throughly is what the extension agent told me.. true none of the ingredients that go into the jar is sterilized before hand.. do you sterilized any of your food before you eat or cook it..I don't think so!!!!!!!! also in your box mixes do you know excately how long that mix was packaged, how it was handled and shipped to your grocer???? I don't think so...I worked in canneries and if i told you what all went on in there you would want to eat store bought prepared foods. yea they have health rules to follow, certain
                      tempertures to follow but they also have production to met and shipping dates to get that product to stores..

                      as far as what box to use depends on how much you have to ship.. I personally want more bang for my buck so I use the large flat rate for all my shipping overseas...I do not just send cakes in my care packages.. I always make sure i have lots of goodies on hand to ship also..

                      I am not a fan of canned frosting ither but being i can't ship my cream cheese frosting i do send a can of store bought with my cakes..I buy Pillbury or Betty Crocker.. lastly don't take chances on baking in a jar.. the jars must be sterile as possible and the ingredients as fresh as can be... anyone having information on why not bake cakes in a jar please let me know where i might read it... I still think someone took a short cut and it caused some eye brows to soar an investgations.. do these articles state what was tested and how they came to the conclusion botulism was a factor.. You can see mold but not botulism--but it does have a off odor.. does anyone recall the tuna botulism scare of the late 50's or 60's????? many people died from it but they kept on canning it......................we happended to get two cans of it--as soon as you cut the can open you knew something was wrong--the fish was a different texture-more like cat food and did not smell fishie
                      but people ate it and ended up very sick before hospitals reported it.. Ok now that i got minds thinking I shall go get lost for awhile----Please don't throw anything at me--my poor bones ache enough...better yet buy ---cake in a jar by Jackie Gannaway and use her 20 recipes.. only cost $3.95 plus $1.50 shipping.. Hugsssssssssssssssssss

                      June
                    • yaterey
                      Message 10 of 20 , Aug 8, 2006
                        June, I just love reading your posts! Thanks for all your advice. I
                        am so excited because the jar cake book by Jackie Gannaway is the one I
                        already have! woo-hoo. My husband was happy to know I will start
                        experimenting with them when we get back from vacation. My adopted
                        solider is coming home on leave soon so I won't get to send him any for
                        a while but that's more time to practice. THanks for your information
                        and your humor. you are the best. :-)
                        ~Rebecca

                        --- In thehugsproject_annex@yahoogroups.com, june miller
                        <night_owl1453@...> wrote:

                        > well here is my two cents worth---first off how many of you know when
                        the Korean war was????????? That's just how long I been baking Cake in
                        a Jar.. I baked as high as 30 cakes in a day and only the God Lord
                        knows how many I have sent to soldiers over the years.. Never got any
                        bad vibes on any I sent nor has any of my family or friends died or had
                        to be carted off to the hospital after eating one..

                      • Cathy Schulte
                        Message 11 of 20 , Aug 8, 2006
                          Thank you June! I have tried this cake in a jar thing twice and now have
                          people asking advice of me...It is nice to have someone with more experience
                          add information to what I can tell them!
                          Cathy in GA

                          Message 12 of 20 , Aug 8, 2006
                            The soldiers love the stuff, simply because it is better than
                            nothing at all. In my personal opinion, just because I just tried
                            some two days ago, stay away from the Vanilla flavored whipped
                            icing. I can't remember now if it was Betty Crocker or Duncan
                            Hines, but that was the awfullest stuff I have ever tried. I love
                            the lemon and strawberry flavors, and the cream cheese, my boys love
                            the choco. But that Vanilla was just awful.

                            Well, thats my two cents for what it's worth.

                            Dianna B. in CA
                          • cmna_2000
                            Message 13 of 20 , Aug 8, 2006
                              Thanks to all who responded to my questions. June, you sound like a
                              real pro on this!

                              Can't wait to do these....

                              Connie in Central Ohio

                            • emprssjade@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 20 , Aug 8, 2006
                                Greetings!

                                The Korean War wsa from 1950-1953 (I know cuz I was 3 when my father came
                                home from Korea)!

                                Sincerely,

                                EmprssJade

                                Kay G-Pueblo, CO
                                Proud Mom of Navy & Marine Vet Anthony & his married sister Michelle
                                Proud Foster Marine Mom of the LAADs-Ft. Bliss, TX
                              • Janice
                                Message 15 of 20 , Aug 8, 2006
                                  I don't like the whipped vanilla that Betty Crocker puts out. I've never
                                  tried Duncan Hines. I usually get the creamy kind and just stay away from
                                  the whipped. The Wal-Mart brand isn't bad either. I usually get Chocolate
                                  or Creme Cheese. Hope that helps.

                                  Hugs,
                                  Janice
                                  > The soldiers love the stuff, simply because it is better than
                                  > nothing at all. In my personal opinion, just because I just tried
                                  > some two days ago, stay away from the Vanilla flavored whipped
                                  > icing. I can't remember now if it was Betty Crocker or Duncan
                                  > Hines, but that was the awfullest stuff I have ever tried. I love
                                  > the lemon and strawberry flavors, and the cream cheese, my boys love
                                  > the choco. But that Vanilla was just awful.
                                  >

                                  > Well, thats my two cents for what it's worth.
                                  >
                                  > Dianna B. in CA
                                  >

                                  > The "Hugs" Project...letting American Armed Forces know that we care &
                                  > that we support them in their mission to provide & protect freedom.
                                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                • june miller
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Aug 8, 2006
                                    Thanks!!! i knew that just stated that for those who keep insisting Cake in a Jar will kill you..let's see let's do some matt here this is 2006 and the Korean War started in 1950---  that means I been beating the odds for 56 years!! Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh no  now  you guys know how old I am... I'm older then dirt!!! Yup i was 15 when i baked my first  cake in a jar for my oldest brother off to fight for his Country...He graduated and was afraid he would be drafted into the Army so he enlisted in the Air Force...I sent him 5 cakes for his Birthday along with boxes of Sanders Candy... We didn't have frosting in a can so we sent him powder sugar, sprinkles and a jar of peanut butter and told him to mix it together and spread it on his cake..ROFL--hey I was a kid--at least i tried to make him feel good....If i remember  right   his conrades melted peanut butter  cups  with a cigerette lighter and spread that on their slices..He bought me cake in a jar and cookies in a jar about 10 years ago--his wife got some junk catalog and they were in there...nooooooooooooooooooooo you can not bake cookies in a jar----you put all the ingredients in it in layers--put the lid and ring on and fancy rag [aka doily}attached a card that tells you to add eggs, butter, vanilla and what  temp. to bake at.. strickly for gift giving.. there is also  a soup in jar book and cake mix cakes [[has 50 recipes that begin with cake mixes]]

                                    June

                                    Do you Yahoo!?
                                  • june miller
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Aug 8, 2006
                                      Not by a long shot--I had a few I had to dig out of the jars or ones that didn't seal..First ones i made came off the baking soda and a was real dark chocolate.. Mom used to bake in a bunte pan and sprinkle powdered sugar on it..We raised our own chickens and mad butter so everything was always fresh.. Mom and sis was the bakers.. Sis took cake classes--you could give her a picture of anything you wanted on top of a cake and she put it on with icing..I took several candy making classes--taught it for 17 years..Now that was messy..everything ended up being chocolate...
                                      June
                                    • calisews
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Aug 10, 2006
                                        I am going to make a batch up using a recipe I have called Root Beer
                                        Float cake. It uses a packaged cake mix and some root beer. My
                                        soldier said he has access to a fridge, and the icing is powdered
                                        Dream Whip mixed with cold root beer soda. SO...I am sending the
                                        cakes, a can of A&W and a package of Dream Whip.

                                        What do yall think?

                                        Dianna

                                        ***Sending things under pressure is really iffy. What if it goes via an unpressurized C-130? I think this sounds like a wonderful recipe but I'd hate to see it spoiled because the can explodes. I think a small plastic bottle might hold up better. I do know though that some have sent over cans of soda without problem. ~K~
                                      • june miller
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Aug 10, 2006
                                          mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm sound mighty good but why not wait till the weather cools now next month--it not that far away.. do they have root beer in bottles???i have sent pop in cans in zip lock bags with no problems but not in extreme heat.. a pop can exploding is merely fuzz not like an aerosol can blowing up.. had one go off a few years back in my car..we had insect spray at a yard we were cleaning out loaded with bees and hornets.. i put all the cleaning stuff in my car when we left the site.. I had to stop fast cause some jerk pulled out in front of me..apparently that can rolled under my seat and i didn't notice it missing when I put the stuff back on the shelf.. went to work and my car sat in the hot sun all day closed up.. got about 4 miles from work and thought a bomb went off--here comes that can sailing and hit my windshield with such force it cracked.. Lucky it didn't hit the back of my head driving at 70 on the xpressway..it shook me up.. We had a family re union
                                          and someone threw an aersol can in the burn barrel.. i lite it next morning and put the lid on the drum and was walking toward my house and heard a lot bang.. thought some idiot was down in the wet lands shooting--i ran toward the house so fast my feet was kicking my butt--i was running so fast i almost ran through the patio door.. i got inside and hubby was laughing so hard tears was running down his face.. he said OH shucks they missed you. dear....Duh --you don't want to know want my reply was but Mom would of washed my mouth out with lye soap and had me kneeing on rice for a month..

                                          June
                                        • sunshinerandall@sbcglobal.net
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Aug 11, 2006
                                            Sorry, June but ROFLLLLLLLLL