sizes for Christmas stockings

  • june miller
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 5, 2012
      Hi Hugers;
        Some of you wrote me concerning the size of Christmas Stockings I make for our troops. I am sending the information I sent to the Annex some time ago.I make some from red felt with a 3 inch white felt, camo, or christmas print material cuff. You can make them without a cuff. I sew my cuff on first then sew up the stocking. you can also decorate your stocking with a snowman , gingerbread man, or Christmas tree, if you decorate with any of these sew it on before you sew your stocking together. If you use Christmas print material you do not have to add a cuff but should make a least a one inch hem at the top before you sew it together. These sizes seem to work the best for the shipping boxes Karen uses. You could also make smaller ones and fill them with candy, gum or snack bars.

      The felt Christmas stockings i make are  5 inches wide by 10 inches long with a three inch white cuff, the printed Christmas patterns ones are 6 wide and 12 inches long-- at the top i fold it  1/4 inch and iron it then fold it about 1 and a half inches again and stitch it across..
      that will keep it  from unraveling.

      I am camping till the 16th so I more then likely won't be on line so if you write me and get no answer you will know why. We just happen to go down state to welcome home Sgt. Travis Mills who lost his legs and arms while serving in Afganistan. He came home for his School Football game Thursday. They estimated over 1500 people turned out to welcome him, his wife and baby home. He will be going back to Walter Reed for further treatments. He is an awesome soldier. While we went that way we stopped home and i checked my E-mail.

      Our trees are at there peak colors--way ahead of schedule. Leaves are falling so looks like we might have an early Winter. It got down to 33 wednesday night. got to camp Tuesday around two. Hubby was almost set up when it started to rain. Rained Wednesday, and early Thursday morning then the sun came out and it got to 72..At least it was nice for Travis's Parade but was rather chilly sitting at the game.

      When i get back from camping I have stacks of stockings to sew up, how many I do not know. While camping i made 150 wreaths out of plastic bottle rings, 5o yarn angels. Monday we will be going back home to give blood so i will pick up my decorations for my wreaths and get those done while back in camp. The kids are suppose to trick or treat in camp next Saturday and one of the camp staff told hubby if it freezes they will turn the water off and close camp for the season.

      Happy Fall,

      June

      ~*~*~*~ Thanks for the stocking info June, and for all you do for our troops. Sending our love, prayers and thanks to Travis and his family. ~*~*~*~* Cara