Druid Veterans and their Families

  • raina661938
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2, 2008
      An Urgent Plea Concerning Druid Veterans and Their Families and

      Please Read and Pass This Along!

      Dear all:

      To date I have not received any new letters from vets stating their

      to have the 'Awen' symbol on their headstones, nor any copies of
      letters to

      next of kin or clergy stating the same. It will be very hard to
      proceed with

      this cause as a religious freedom issue unless we can show that there

      Druid vets out there who want the symbol.

      The campaign is at a critical point once again and we really need

      letters. Can you please alert your members?

      thank you in advance and here is my address again;

      POB 219 Amherst, MA 01004

      EE Hopman

      Please see message from Selana Fox below;

      Greetings, All,

      This is follow-up to some individual and group discussions I have had

      some of you previously, and most recently, Ellen.

      It is a good idea to get letters from Druid vets and Druids on active

      in the US military who state that they have the Awen symbol as their

      of belief and that they want it added to the VA's list of emblems of

      that can be included on gravestones it issues for deceased veterans.

      letters should state that after death, they would like the Awen
      included on

      their VA-issued grave marker which will be ordered by next of kin.

      It also is a good idea to have the next of kin of each of these

      informed about the veteran's wishes regarding the Awen being included

      gravestones to be ordered after the veteran's death from the VA.

      in writing from the veteran/soldier to her/his next of kin could be

      I met by phone this week with staff from the US Department of Veterans

      Affairs to get another update on the progress of the revision of the

      procedures for adding additional emblems of belief to the VA's

      list. This bureaucratic process is still in the works. During this

      no one could estimate as to how soon the process would be completed.
      I did

      lean that the process was continuing to move, although slowly. We
      plan to

      continue to track this.

      Although the VA's new procedures have not been released yet and

      have gone through quite a few changes as a result of the revision

      that was begun in January 2007,several VA staff I spoke with over the

      year indicated to me that, as with the previous set of procedures,
      that a

      symbol will be eligible to be on the list after a veteran or one on

      duty dies and had wanted a symbol on her/his marker and the next of

      knows of this and makes that request of the VA as part of the

      gravestone/marker/ plaque application process.

      During our settlement of the Circle Sanctuary vs. Nicholson lawsuit
      in April

      2007 which resulted in the Pentacle being added to the list, I made

      that our attorneys (from Americans United for Separation of Church and

      State) included a clause in the settlement agreement that allowed me

      Circle Sanctuary to work on behalf of other emblems of belief being
      added to

      the list. When asked about the reason for this clause by media at the

      national press club news conference on April 23,2007, the day the

      was added to the list, I specifically mentioned the need for the Druid

      symbol to be added.

      Should any of you know of a Druid vet or Druid on active duty who
      dies and

      has requested the Awen to be on a VA headstone and the next of kin is

      planning to order a marker from the VA, please contact Circle
      Sanctuary as

      soon as possible so we can be available to help as needed.

      Lady Liberty League

      Circle Sanctuary

      liberty@circlesanct uary.org

      Box 9,Barneveld, WI 53507 USA