Why does Gollum perish in the end?

  • SHADOWKamen
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2005
      Here is something I have always wondered about: Why did Tolkien have
      Gollum fall into the Cracks of Doom along with his
      "PRECCCCCIOUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS"? Given his long enslavement to the Ring,
      I think it would have been more interesting to see how he would manage
      to get along without it when he had no other choice.

      Or was his enslavement to the Ring so great that that is simply not
      even a question?

      But Gandalf had once said that Gollum would play a role in Frodo's
      quest—which indeed he did. The way Tolkien arranged things may also
      give a touch of irony to the climax of the trilogy, i.e. the creature
      who wanted the Ring so badly became the very agent of its destruction.
      How does that sound?
    • Larry J. Swain
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 13, 2005
        --- In thehighelves@yahoogroups.com, "SHADOWKamen"
        <psycho_neko_king@y...> wrote:

        > Here is something I have always wondered about: Why did Tolkien have
        > Gollum fall into the Cracks of Doom along with his
        > "PRECCCCCIOUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS"? Given his long enslavement to the Ring,
        > I think it would have been more interesting to see how he would manage
        > to get along without it when he had no other choice.

        He, like Bilbo, would have quickly aged and died; though in Gollum's
        case he was nuts to start with and the absence of the Ring would have
        only made that worse.

      • varda@sbcglobal.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 20, 2005
          --- In thehighelves@yahoogroups.com, "Larry J. Swain" <theswain@y...>
          wrote:

          Frodo made Gollum swear on the Precious not to harm him, or else the
          Ring would force him to jump off a cliff even into fire. When Gollum
          took the Ring, it was still on Frodo's finger! Gollum had hurt Frodo,
          the Ring didn't know its finger wasn't still attached to Frodo, and it
          finished off Gollum exactly as ordered. Very subtle bit of writing.