Who "wrote" the Silmarillion? Or should I say, how did it come down to us?

  • cparks1138
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 3, 2004
      As "The Hobbit" and "The Lord of the Rings" come down to us via the
      Red Book of Westmarch as written by Bilbo and Frodo Baggins, added
      onto by Sam and his descendents and later translated by the author,
      what is the literary "history" of "The Silmarillion?" Are they
      translations made by Bilbo of stories heard and researched in
      Rivendell, a transmission from the great beyond, or is it simply the
      Middle Earth Bible (and thus it is what it is)? Or is it a posthumous
      collection of the author's Middle Earth mythologies, without any
      artifice at all? I don't recall this being explained in the book and
      I've been pondering this for some time and i am curious as to what
      the learned people of this group would have to say. Of course the
      artifice of the Redbook as the historical means by which the stories
      come down to us adds to the charm and gravitas to Tolkien's first two
      fairy tale works, and while I'd like to think that this applies to
      his last as well, "The Silmarillion" is majestic enough without it.
      Any thoughts?