hello-s and fav characters

  • Melian
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 3, 2003
      hello

      i just went through the posts about your fav characters and places in
      the Tolkienverse. I see most like Luthien, I also think she's a
      character worth paying more attention to, but my fav is Melian
      Mablui, her mother. I find her relationship with Elwe Singollo very
      interesting, even more than Beren and Luthien's. Why? Well, Melian is
      the only one of the Ainur that ever had a relationship with one of
      the children of Eru. She left Valinor, the land of Light and
      Happiness, the Blissful Realm, a Paradise, just to dwell in some
      godforsaken, dark land, unexplored and unknown. That was a rather
      brave decision to make, imo. She leant some of her power to found and
      protect Doriath, she had the gift of foresight, she was a healer etc.
      She is a great friend to Galadriel. She also is a mother who lost her
      only child, and a wife who lost her husband and everything else she
      loved in ME when Doriath fell. Did she find consolation in the
      gardens of Lorien, after her return to Valinor? Did she ever
      considered a return, going back to her people and firends? What was
      her attitude towards Beren? there are many questions, and i wish that
      Tolkien had given us answers to them. Although the Silmarillion, the
      Lay of Leithian and the Lay of the Children of Hurin give us some
      insight into this character, it's still very little :( but still,
      it's my fav.
      some other of my fav are, of course, Beren and Luthien, but also
      Ereinion /Gil-galad/ of whom we know ::sigh:: unfortunately ::sigh::
      almost *nothing*, and Irmo and Este, who could be a very interesting,
      fascinating even, pair of Valar.
      as for LOTR - i would go for Faramir /he was sooooo *awful* in the
      movie/, it would be great to know more of hic childhood, interaction
      with Boromir and Denethor etc. And the second is Eomer. i also like
      Gollum.

      that's all for now,
      bye
      Mel
      /who is new here and hopes she makes any sense:)/