Arwen: Warrior Princess?!

  • menelvagor2001
    Message 1 of 2165 , Dec 1, 2001
      I must admit to not having read all the posts on
      the forthcoming movie, but I agree that their
      devoting a whole movie with improved technology to each
      book of the trilogy gives them a better<br>chance of
      doing justice to it. <br><br>However, a week ago I went
      through the frame by frame analysis of the trailer on
      www.lordoftherings.net and was appalled to find they've been so
      insensitve to Tolkien's making Frodo the focus of the
      pursuit to the Ford that they have inserted Arwen, of all
      people, as a kind of mistress of magic and warrrior
      princess ( like her ancestress, Luthien Tinuviel) as,
      presumably, a kind of "dea ex machina" to effect
      Frodo's<br>escape. This not only does violence to the plot but also
      to the character of Arwen who is NOT a warrior
      princess like Eowyn. On the contrary,<br>she always stays
      discreetly in the background, appearing in Rivendell as an
      exceedingly beautiful and wise woman in whom the likeness of
      Luthien lived again, and also as Aragorn's beloved and
      promised reward IF he becomes King of both Gondor and
      Arnor. She appears again briefly in Aragorn's flashback
      in Lorien, and then in the eucatastrophe in which
      Frodo realizes why is called Undomiel or Evening Star,
      for as he says to Gandalf,<br><br> At last I
      understand why we have waited! This is the ending. Now not
      only day shall be beautiful and beloved, but night
      also shall be beautiful and blessed and all its fear
      taken away!<br><br>To turn this Queen of Blessed Night
      into a warrior queen is a shocking and blasphemous
      reconstruction of the story. I suppose some idiot (perhaps the
      director himself) thought it would be a good idea to make
      the story politically correct by giving Arwen an
      active role. However good the movie may be in other
      respects, they have clearly
    • Joe Padilla
      Message 2165 of 2165 , Mar 5, 2007
        Critics of Tarot Divination Yahoo Group
        Tarot cards were created for the purpose of game playing and nothing
        more. Tarot is really a type of card game having nothing to do with
        Kabbalah, ancient Egypt, Eastern religions, or Native American
        spirituality. The marketing of Tarot cards by the New Age publishing
        industries in conjunction with the above phenomena is a form of
        cultural thievery based on nothing more than pseudohistory. This is a
        forum primarily for the discussion of stereotypes and cultural
        appropriation issues related to the New Age marketing of Tarot cards
        for divination. All critics of Tarot divination and other forms of
        New Age cultural theft, regardless of religion or lack of religion,
        are welcome. Players of Tarot card games, Renaissance historians, and
        skeptics of paranormal claims are also welcome.