Re: Elves

  • thongor1
    Message 1 of 2165 , Apr 1, 2001
      Did a little checking on the whole Elve thing
      last night. Reread Tolkien's On Fairy Stories. He
      talked a bit about the elves as little people thing and
      seemed to think it was mostly a Victorian idea. There
      was quite a vogue for fairy paintings and such during
      that period. The Pre-Raphealites and later Richard
      Dadd.<br> Websters dictionary gives almost identical
      definitions for elves and fairies. The encylopedia of Fantasy
      talks about it a bit as well and agrees with the
      Dunsany to Tolkien connecion. Of course since I disagree
      with about half the entries in that book I take their
      opinion with a grain of salt. Fun researching it though.
    • Joe Padilla
      Message 2165 of 2165 , Mar 5, 2007
        Critics of Tarot Divination Yahoo Group
        Tarot cards were created for the purpose of game playing and nothing
        more. Tarot is really a type of card game having nothing to do with
        Kabbalah, ancient Egypt, Eastern religions, or Native American
        spirituality. The marketing of Tarot cards by the New Age publishing
        industries in conjunction with the above phenomena is a form of
        cultural thievery based on nothing more than pseudohistory. This is a
        forum primarily for the discussion of stereotypes and cultural
        appropriation issues related to the New Age marketing of Tarot cards
        for divination. All critics of Tarot divination and other forms of
        New Age cultural theft, regardless of religion or lack of religion,
        are welcome. Players of Tarot card games, Renaissance historians, and
        skeptics of paranormal claims are also welcome.