Re: Tips for packing

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 2, 2008
      Hi Ann;

      I had written a nice long reply to you and I can see that it never
      went through :-( but I think I can remember most of it:

      Using the shower for extra storage is a great idea! Many, many moon
      ago I had a tiny apartment with an itsy-bitsy bathroom, so I used to
      place the cat box in the shower, and since the cat box was enclosed
      with just a small doorway and the doorway lined up with the front
      edge of the shower, it worked out well. I'd just put the cat box on
      the toilet when I took my morning shower and then put it back when I
      was done. (I did have a small plastic stand under the cat box that
      raised it up about an inch so that it didn't sit right on the damp
      shower floor.)

      Thinking of coffee makers, we have one with a stainless steel pot, so
      if it falls on the floor while driving, it won't break. Luckily, the
      coffee maker has sticky rubber feet, so it hasn't moved when we are
      on the road, no matter how rough the driving has been.

      The back-bumper clothes line is a GREAT idea! My hubby made a new,
      extended bumper for our RV which gives us another two feet on the
      back. He bolted two large tool boxes to the bumper and they provide
      a lot of handy storage. He also chains two 5 gallon gas cans to the
      bumper, since he likes to carry gas for emergencies, but doesn't want
      it inside any of the belly-boxes or in the little pick-up that we tow
      behind us.

      Thanks for posting all the wonderful ideas! ~ Beth

      --- In thehappycampers8-D@yahoogroups.com, "Ann" <ammiller43@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi everyone.
      > Sounds like some good tips on here. What we have done is we use our
      > shower for all kinds of things when we aren't actually taking a
      > shower! We got a tension shower curtain rod (it tightens or loosens
      > with just a few twists) and this is our "coat closet". We also keep
      > pop up laundry hamper in there on a small rack (just to keep it off
      > the bottom of the shower, just in case it does get wet) and this is
      > where we keep wet/muddy shoes or towels for wiping down the dog. If
      > we want a shower we just put the coats on the bed along with the
      > hamper and when we are done either let it dry naturally or wipe it
      > down and put everything back. Works really good if you have wet
      > bathing suits or raincoats. DH has also installed a "wine cellar"
      as
      > he calls it. Our bed lifts up and at the top of the bed he stapled
      > very wide elastic in spaces that if you put bottles in it, it holds
      > it snug and upright with out moving around. I too got rid of the
      > George Foreman grill and went to one that did all kinds of double
      and
      > triple duty. I also went to a french press coffee maker. I still
      have
      > the old drip one, as I am having trouble convincing DH to use it.
      It
      > is totally stainless steel and I love it. DH also made one of those
      > attached to the back bumper clothes lines that you can get in
      Camping
      > World. Of course ours costs just a fraction. He painted it day glo
      > orange so I won't run into it as I walk around the back of the
      > camper, :-)
      > I know there is more but at the moment mind is just going totally
      > blank. When I think of anymore I will be sure to jump back on. As
      for
      > finding ways to help on pantry space or weight (I think that is
      where
      > this all started?) I don't have much of a clue. Since we are not
      full
      > timers I don't have to worry about it much ....yet! LOL
      >
      > Ann
      >
      > --- In thehappycampers8-D@yahoogroups.com, "Beth & Lorne"
      > <blp7171@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Peggy;
      > >
      > > Thanks for posting those great suggestions! We, too, put all the
      > > movies we could on DVD (although many wouldn't copy onto DVD-
      > > particularly the movies made by Universal) and gave away all our
      > old
      > > VHS tapes. Hubby made a tall, thin DVD holder that fits behind
      the
      > > driver's seat that's easily accessible and holds most of our
      > movies.
      > > Our music is all on CD, which we keep in a large album with CD
      > > pockets that's just a little bigger than your average school
      > > notebook.
      > >
      > > I have most of our important papers scanned into the computer,
      but
      > > hate to depend on that machine too much- we've had too many
      > computer
      > > problems not to keep the hard copies around, too. But, if we had
      > > second lap-top, I wouldn't be the least concerned about keeping
      the
      > > info on electronic files and putting the hard copies in a safe
      > > deposit box like you do! We were able to save a little room with
      > my
      > > dash-top slide-open desk by just having a lap-top computer and a
      > > combo scanner, printer, copier- it works great and the ink
      > cartridges
      > > are a lot cheaper than the ones were for my old printer.
      > >
      > > When I have time.... some day, I also want to scan our old photos
      > so
      > > that we don't have to keep our 4 big, heavy photos albums with
      us.

      > > Like you, we try to throw or give away anything we don't use on a
      > > regular basis. Except hubby's train stuff and Nascar
      > collectibles.
      > > He'll never let those go! He wants to remove our dinette table
      and
      > > build a new table with a N-scale train models set into it and a
      > > Plexiglas top so he can watch his trains go around the track.
      That
      > > ought to keep him busy!
      > >
      > > ~ Beth
      > >

      > > --- In thehappycampers8-D@yahoogroups.com, "Karl" <peggyandkarl@>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi,
      > > >

      > > > We took all the paper items we had and scanned them into our
      > > > computer. We are leaving DVDs of our financial information and
      > > other
      > > > valuable pictures in a safety deposit box. We work
      > electronically
      > > > now. My cookbooks, animal records (except the rabies
      > > certifications)
      > > > and maintenance procedures for the RV are all electronic now.
      We

      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 3, 2008
        Hello,

        We just bought a towel holder that you hang over the bathroom door, we are going to use it on the outside of our camper window to hang our wet towels on, we want them to dry.

        It comes apart easily and get be stored away when we are ready to leave.  We have a towel rack on our bathroom door that we can hang 4 towels on and used it outside last year and it worked really well, instead of hanging them on the awning rails.