Re: I am new to this group~

    Message 1 of 30 , Sep 17, 2007
      Hello Mary;

      I guess the term 'crowded' is relative- I grew up on Cape in the '60s
      and 70's and I watched it go from a quiet, rural place to a tourist
      mecca. I know it's unrealistic to think that anything will stay the
      same forever, but I prefer the Cape Cod of the old days! :-D

      ~ Beth

      --- In thehappycampers8-D@yahoogroups.com, mnms0802@... wrote:

      > I don't think the cape is that bad.... I am from here. I love going
      down there! And I love Martha's Vineyard. Hanson is about 40 minutes
      to the Cape Cod Canal... give or take (with traffic).

      > Mary

      Orchard, and Bar Harbor tourist towns, I have never been to Cape Cod,
      I want to try and visit it sometime, maybe in the fall.

      > My brother lives in Hanson, Mass so he is only a few miles from
      Cape Cod.

      > ?

      > ?
      >
      > Wow! I didn't know that Cape was so crowed must be like Old
      Orchard, and Bar Harbor tourist towns, I have never been to Cape Cod,
      I want to try and visit it sometime, maybe in the fall.

      > My brother lives in Hanson, Mass so he is only a few miles from
      Cape Cod.

      > ?
      >
      > Joyce
      >

      > See what's new at AOL.com and Make AOL Your Homepage.

      __
      Mail! - http://mail.aol.com

      Message 2 of 30 , Sep 18, 2007

        I would love to try camping in the cape, but our only long weekend will be Columbus Day weekend now, so it is hard to travel to far, my husband doesn't get home until 3:45 on Friday, we hook up the camper and take off so we try to travel to places that are about 1 hour away. Boothbay is about 1:15 min from here so is Saco or Old Orchard.

        I am going to make it to the cape next year when we have our long weekends off.

        I love going to new places. We have traveled as far as Rhode Island with our camper.

        Message 3 of 30 , Sep 27, 2007
          Joyce; Any thoughts on where you might like to stay when you come to
          the Cape? We're hoping to come back here next summer, too, if hubby
          can find a job for the summer and we can stay here again. We make
          much better wages up here than we do in Florida- especially since
          Florida slows down so much during the summer months. ~ Beth

          Message 4 of 30 , Sep 27, 2007
            Beth,

            I am not sure where to stay when we go to the Cape. I am going to look in the Mass camping guide. I hope to get some ideas where to go. Last year we stayed in Plymouth, Mass at a KOA it was nice but, the caterpillars were awful they were on everything dropping on the picnic table just way to many of them and Plymouth is about 30 miles from the Cape.

          • mnms0802@aol.com
            Message 5 of 30 , Sep 27, 2007
              We (here in MA) had a HUGE caterpillar problem last year- I was infested when camping too. But that has never happened before, and we did not have the problem this year. Go figure, huh?
              The KOA is nice, but there are more campgrounds more on the cape. It depends how far down on to the cape you want to go. I have been to a few campgrounds down there, in Brewster and in Bourne. Bayview is a nice campground, right on rte 28.

              Mary H

            • swolsky2@aol.com
              Message 6 of 30 , Sep 27, 2007
                Joyce,

                I highly recommend Sweetwater Forest in Brewster.  We have stayed there several times and love it.  It is clean, quiet, and affordable.  Sever of our friends have stayed there as well.  It is in tghe Mass Camping guides too, e-mail me if you have any questions.  Sherri

                Message 7 of 30 , Sep 28, 2007
                  Hi Sherri,

                  Thanks for the tip on the campground I will check that campground out. Last year when we stayed in Plymouth, Mass at the KOA it rained so hard we never made it to Cape Cod.

                  Message 8 of 30 , Sep 28, 2007
                    Hello Joyce;

                    Was it those Gypsy Moth caterpillars? Those things can be such a
                    nuisance! Luckily, they aren't around every year.

                    As someone else suggested, Sweetwater forest is nice- a bit pricey if
                    you need hookups but it's probably the most pleasant campground I
                    know of on the Cape. Nickerson State Park has the best price and
                    some really great lakes for swimming, boating and fishing and great
                    hiking trails, too, but they can be crowded during the summer- but
                    after Labor Day it's wonderful. There are other campgrounds (I've
                    also been to Sprawling Hills and Shady Knoll and visited camper
                    friends at other places) but they aren't as nice as either Sweetwater
                    or Nickerson, but they are just as expensive - or even more so in
                    some cases! No matter where you want to stay try to reserve your
                    site as far in advance as possible!

                    Message 9 of 30 , Sep 28, 2007

                      I printed your e-mail and will check these campground out.  I know some of them are pretty expensive.and I will have to book in advance.

                      Message 10 of 30 , Sep 28, 2007

                        Hubby & I are planning to take some fall folliage photos at Nickerson
                        State Park before we leave New England and I'll post them here so you
                        can see what it looks like.

                        Let me know if there's anything you'd especially like to see in the
                        photos- like campsites in a certain area or anything. (It's a huge
                        park and the campsites are divided into 'areas'. I prefer the ones
                        near the big lakes- the ones right on the lakes are spectacular!)

                        Message 11 of 30 , Sep 29, 2007

                          That would be really nice if you could post some pictures of the campground. Campsites and different areas of the campground. I will be looking forward to seeing them.

                          Message 12 of 30 , Sep 29, 2007
                            Hi Joyce;

                            What kind of site do you need? Do you need hook ups or are you going
                            to dry camp? On the water? Near hiking or biking trails? If I know
                            what you're looking for, I'll try to get photos of those sites. :-)

                            Message 13 of 30 , Sep 30, 2007

                              We like water and Electricity. Near walking trails if possible.
                              This really nice of you to get some pictures of the campground for me.

                              Message 14 of 30 , Sep 30, 2007
                                Hello Joyce!

                                No problem- I'm happy to do it!! :-D We'll be going some weekend soon
                                when the weather is nice and when the leaves have turned a bit more.