Re: Summer Camping Weather

  • happycamperbeth
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 10, 2013
      Hi Lizbeth;

      I'm so sorry to hear about your trailer! :-( The tent camping sounds wonderful; I'm glad to hear that you've been able to get out and enjoy some kind of outing.

      Thanks for telling me about your surgery. I have a slow heart rate (40 to 50 beats per minute) and extra beats that are out of rhythm. My heart beat has been getting slower and slower the last few years and when it was 40 BPM at my last doctor's visit, she wanted me to see a cardiologist. We've known about the irregular heart beat for 12 years, but it's been controlled by medication; however, the slowness was something relatively new. Anyway, the cardiologist hopes that this procedure will solve the problem. It hasn't been scheduled yet, but we're looking at early November. (After camping season!)

      ~ Beth

      --- In thehappycampers8-D@yahoogroups.com, Elizabeth Allbright <elizabethallbright@...> wrote:

      > Hi Beth,
      >
      > We moved from Santa Barbara to the northern California gold country to be
      > closer to hubby's parents for a while. We don't have an RV anymore, a power
      > line fell on it in Santa Barbara and blew it up. Seriously bad...fried the
      > wiring throughout.
      > Anyway, we've made few 4-wheel drive trips up into the Sierra Nevada
      > outback to tent camp in the hidden lakes and wilderness. It's been cooler
      > up there without being too extreme.
      > I had that heart surgery done about 5 years ago. I was terrified as there
      > are some big risks...but it went off without a hitch and I haven't had a
      > problem since. I had what they call: Supraventricular hypertachycardia. (My
      > heart would start beating SUPER fast and not really pumping anything.)
      > I hope your surgery goes well. I'll keep you in my thoughts.
      > ~Lizbeth.
      > On Aug 10, 2013 7:45 AM, "happycamperbeth" <bthm63@...> wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > I'm just wondering if anyone else has found their camping plans altered by
      > > this summer's weather. Between heat and heavy rains, I've more or less
      > > given up on trying to do much until after Labor Day, when at least the hot
      > > spells should be dying down. (And, hopefully, the campgrounds and parks
      > > will be less crowded!)
      > >
      > > Of course, work loads and lots of medical appointments have cramped my
      > > style, too. My 4th of July week off was abruptly taken up with a sudden
      > > work emergency (Grrr! }:-( Someone else didn't do their job!) so now, I'm
      > > trying again for the first week of September. I'm hoping the late summer
      > > weather will cooperate and to get in a lot of short camping trips between
      > > now & November, when I'm going to have to have a procedure done where my
      > > cardiologist is going to cauterize part of my heart. (This has been a
      > > summer of a gazillion tests as the doctor tries to get to the bottom of my
      > > long-time irregular heart beat. Now he thinks they can "kill" the part of
      > > of my that is misbehaving so that it will beat properly! In the meantime,
      > > since my camper, Parnassus, is my only vehicle, most of it's road trips
      > > since being purchased in April have been to take me to various medical
      > > appointments. I'll be glad when this is over!)
      > >
      > > I'm trying to be patient... I guess I'm especially eager to camp since
      > > it's been two years since I've gone and now I have my Parnassus and I'm
      > > excited to take her out on her first adventure.
      > >
      > > ~ Beth

    • jedcad

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 16, 2013

          It's too bad you've been so busy, but I know how it is... sometimes I feel as though I never have a spare minute, too. But, at least you'll have a new kitchen and deck to show for it! The camper and campgrounds will be waiting for you when you're ready.

          Yes, I am lucky there are lots of world-class heart doctors in my state- I hope mine is one of them!

          :-)