Re: [thehappycampers8-D] Spring Weather!

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 14, 2011

      We still have a lot of snow in our yard. Were I work in the down town area the snow is almost gone.
      Our cover on our camper has lasted a few years too! it has a few minor holes in it. I can't wait for spring and camping. I just hope the gas prices don't go up much more.

      Joyce

      In a message dated 3/14/2011 7:54:47 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, blp7171@... writes:
      Hello, Everyone!

      It's been nice to see bare ground and some warmer temperatures the last few days.  I actually got out hiking with the dog twice yesterday!  Now I'm starting to think about getting our veggie garden going.... turning over the soil and starting seedlings.... all the fun stuff that comes with spring!

      We'll probably take the cover off the motor home in another month or so, after the last threat of snow and ice has passed.  We've had so much wind this year that we'll probably need to replace our industrial-strength tarp we use to wrap the top half of the motor home (keeping snow and ice out of the AC's and all) it's a miracle the tarp has lasted this long.  The Cape is usually a windy place but this winter has been the windiest I can remember.  According to our local news station, we were up over 100 mile an hour winds twice and 80 miles and hour several times; plus it seemed as though it was blowing 30 to 40 miles an hour or more on a daily basis!  That wind, with the cold, has also made for a record year of heating bills!  Come on, spring!

      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 15, 2011

        Hello! I hope your snow doesn't last long! I'm so ready for some spring weather! We keep getting a warm day here and there.... just enough to be a teaser, but it sure is nice. I went out and bought most of the stuff we need for our vegetable garden this year, even though it's way too early to break ground, yet. I'll start our seeds indoors in the next few weeks so that hopefully they'll be thriving by the time it's warm enough to put them out in a cold frame. I want to do an experiment this year and try to erect a plastic cold frame over our raised beds to see if that helps to protect the seedlings and give them a green house of sorts until summer arrives. We get a late summer here on the Cape because the ocean keeps us cooler than the mainland during the warm weather months, so it pays to try to get a jump on the gardening season.

        I hope that gas doesn't go up too much more, too. I bought a bike recently so that I can ride it to the grocery store, my daughter's house, the beach, post office and a lot of other places that are all within a few miles of home. Hubby will put it together for me this weekend and then I have to get used to riding a bicycle again! It's a good thing we live on a quiet little road so I have a safe place to practice!

        Hope you're having a great day! ~ Beth

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 15, 2011

          I am also ready  for the spring too! Tired of the snow, ready to go camping. We have a small box garden that my husband does in the spring, mostly tomatoes and cucumbers. The cape is so beautiful in the summer I would love to go camping there, but pulling the camper through all that traffic doesn't thrill me at all.
          Today was a nice warm day, tomorrow rain, that's ok, it is washing all the snow away.

          Joyce

          Joyce;

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 16, 2011
            Hi Joyce;

            I think that Maine is more beautiful than the Cape and probably a lot less crowded during the summer. I've never understood why people come here then- the best thing you can say about it is that it's cooler than the mainland. Cape Codders hide all summer until the tourists go away and we go back to our normal, laid-back routines! But, the last time gas rose up this high, the Cape had a quieter than usual summer season. However, if you do get a chance to visit the Cape, please let me know; I'd love to meet you after all these years of writing back & forth!

            Is the snow almost gone, yet?

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 16, 2011

              I would let you know if I was coming that way for a visit I would love to meet you too!
              Boothbay, Bar Harbor, and Old Orchard Beach are usually busy in the summer too! But not to over crowded.
              Joyce